Jon Smith

EMS67

This is some great news. At 6'7, I hope he still growing. He could be that tall athletic stud 3 we have been waiting for. :rolleyes:

did we ever have a recruit who had 20 rebounds in a district or higher tournament? This may be our replacement for Luke Meyer. Next quiestion if he

has a nose for the ball can he shoot a set shot like Luke did? Just Kidding!

Willie Reed is one type of presence SLU hasn't had in a LONG time. Jon Smith, and by all appearances Remekun as well, represent another kind of athlete SLU hasn't had in a long time; a long athletic wing. No longer will teams be able to post up their 6'6 long swingmen on our 6'3 very unathletic guards and get easy buckets.

If Smith does nothing else, if he can defend the long athletic wings from other teams, he will be a huge success at SLU

Willie Reed is one type of presence SLU hasn't had in a LONG time. Jon Smith, and by all appearances Remekun as well, represent another kind of athlete SLU hasn't had in a long time; a long athletic wing. No longer will teams be able to post up their 6'6 long swingmen on our 6'3 very unathletic guards and get easy buckets.

If Smith does nothing else, if he can defend the long athletic wings from other teams, he will be a huge success at SLU

we have had those kinds of players but the coaches couldn't find a 4 or 5 so they had to play center

Kevin Footes

Izzak Ohannon

Sekue Barentine

yes even Horace Dixon if Brad had convinced him to be a pottery major like chris Heinrich; HD was hardly allowed on the floor seemingly because he

wasn't cutting it in the classroom and BS was smart enough to suffer with what he had instead of having a debacle like Lowery this year with Roundtree out of school and others injured or awol; so a promising first semester when we played them turned into a rout where they barely had enough players to keep from forfeiting in conference.

I hadn't thought about it this way until recently, but Jon Smith in some ways could be like a Willie Reed type of player, only playing the 3 instead of the 4/5. Smith is a little bit shorter and lighter than Willie, so he could man the 3, provided he has something of an outside shot, be it a mid-range jumper or all the way out to the arc.

we have had those kinds of players but the coaches couldn't find a 4 or 5 so they had to play center

Kevin Footes

Izzak Ohannon

Sekue Barentine

yes even Horace Dixon if Brad had convinced him to be a pottery major like chris Heinrich; HD was hardly allowed on the floor seemingly because he

wasn't cutting it in the classroom and BS was smart enough to suffer with what he had instead of having a debacle like Lowery this year with Roundtree out of school and others injured or awol; so a promising first semester when we played them turned into a rout where they barely had enough players to keep from forfeiting in conference.

Holy Cow, I just fell out of my chair. Using Sekue B. as anything other than an example of one of the worst recruits ever at SLU just isn't right. SB's problems started with the fact that he could neither catch nor hold onto a basketball thrown in his direction, and then went steeply downhill from there. SB belongs in a grouping with KF and IO about as much as Paul Eckerle does.

Please, please don't ever do that again!

By the way, the only negative I find in the great article on JS is the chicken legs reference-could it be that he might be too skinny to be all that we are expecting him to be?

I was particularly touched by the comparison of Jon Smith with Horace Dixon.

This is along the lines of comparing, say, Larry Bird with Tom Boerwinkle. Or comparing Earvin Johnson with Anthony Drejah (both point guards, both "scrappy," both male). Or maybe Kwamain Mitchell with me.

no offense, Anthony-- one of my all-time favorites, but no Magic. And no offense, Kwamain -- I can really handle the rock.

ps -- did Dixon ever actually score in a game? I forget....

It is sometimes amazing to see comments about past players but the post about SB may take the prize for all time worst comparisons!

I expect MR. Smith to be an immediate starter and impact player from almost the beginning of the season next year. We have a position open for him with Tommie's graduation and it has been forever since we had an athletic 3 who can rebound, block shots and defend along with an ability on the low blocks to score. I would not be shocked to see a front line of Willie, Smith and Ellis as starters as the season progresses next year. With Smit and Ellis, I can see Willie playing even better because he will have an outside shooter and an interior player and shot blocker. He will be able to make plays inside and block shots. This is not in any way to discount Conklin who I think we be better next year and will be an important inside player for us because he brings so much toughness and intensity to the team. I assume that Remeken will redshirt but if he does not then we will have 6 real players on the inside if you include him and Brett. I have been a fan for decades and I cannot ever remember such inside quality depth on a Billiken team. Of course, it remains to be seen if the 3 freshmen are as good as advertised but I would bet that all three of them are better than many of the starters we have had at the 3 or 4 spots over the last 10 years. Luke was great and tough as nails and he was a real team player so he would match up with these guys but not many others could match them.

It is sometimes amazing to see comments about past players but the post about SB may take the prize for all time worst comparisons!

I expect MR. Smith to be an immediate starter and impact player from almost the beginning of the season next year. We have a position open for him with Tommie's graduation and it has been forever since we had an athletic 3 who can rebound, block shots and defend along with an ability on the low blocks to score. I would not be shocked to see a front line of Willie, Smith and Ellis as starters as the season progresses next year. With Smit and Ellis, I can see Willie playing even better because he will have an outside shooter and an interior player and shot blocker. He will be able to make plays inside and block shots. This is not in any way to discount Conklin who I think we be better next year and will be an important inside player for us because he brings so much toughness and intensity to the team. I assume that Remeken will redshirt but if he does not then we will have 6 real players on the inside if you include him and Brett. I have been a fan for decades and I cannot ever remember such inside quality depth on a Billiken team. Of course, it remains to be seen if the 3 freshmen are as good as advertised but I would bet that all three of them are better than many of the starters we have had at the 3 or 4 spots over the last 10 years. Luke was great and tough as nails and he was a real team player so he would match up with these guys but not many others could match them.

When does the season start? I can't wait. :lol:

Holy Cow, I just fell out of my chair. Using Sekue B. as anything other than an example of one of the worst recruits ever at SLU just isn't right. SB's problems started with the fact that he could neither catch nor hold onto a basketball thrown in his direction, and then went steeply downhill from there. SB belongs in a grouping with KF and IO about as much as Paul Eckerle does.

Please, please don't ever do that again!

By the way, the only negative I find in the great article on JS is the chicken legs reference-could it be that he might be too skinny to be all that we are expecting him to be?

Were they not all examples of players who had to play out of position for lack of a center or even a power forward. You guys need to get some sleep before the tournaments start or you are going to run off all the posters who don't have PHD's in PE and I sure am glad I did not add to the list-you all

do recall how tall Jeff Harris and Donnie Dobbs were when they played center for us? By the way the poster who actually went to AC for the A10 tournament mentioned Conklin among the walking wounded but did not mention KL, with WR and KM- I wondered how BC could go 0-0 from the field

in the X game-was it wear and tear through the season or something in the last game or two as we were all surmising about why his numbers were down the last 8 games?