MVC shake-up article

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

However, the article of this article makes some interesting proposistions. Drop some Valley schools that either don't have or are unwilling to spend the resources necessary to improve their programs and and some that do.

http://www.kansas.com/252/story/721889.html

I love it when 16-16 (8-10) Wichita St. starts saying that the team like Northern Iowa that tied for first and won the conference tourney should be kicked out of the league. This is similar to our situation. I've made many posts saying that we need to actually do something in the A10 before we start wanting to call the shots.

And to answer the next questions...hiring the big-name coach and building a new arena don't count until the wins come. A commitment to success doesn't guarantee success. In our case, I believe success will come in a year or two. At that point, we might be able to suggest what the A10 should do in terms of members. Until then, it's all just talk.

Similar to Stl fan's idea...I posted this a while back on the Dayton football board:

Taking the U.S. News ratings/rankings one step further, I've listed members of my ideal athletic conference below. Selection criteria are (1) private school in the 12-state area defined by the Census Bureau as the "Midwest." (2) Division I (3) U.S. News 1st tier school (4) not currently a member of a BCS conference--just keepin it real.

the lineup:

St. Louis

Dayton

Loyola

Creighton

Xavier

Valparaiso

Butler

Drake

Bradley

Evansville

Detroit Mercy

...20 conference games per year in basketball...RPI would be .5388 today--slightly better than the A10's.

Conference HQ and basketball tournament would be in Chicago...grab some associate members from the PFL to fill out the football conference.

Similar to Stl fan's idea...I posted this a while back on the Dayton football board:

Taking the U.S. News ratings/rankings one step further, I've listed members of my ideal athletic conference below. Selection criteria are (1) private school in the 12-state area defined by the Census Bureau as the "Midwest." (2) Division I (3) U.S. News 1st tier school (4) not currently a member of a BCS conference--just keepin it real.

the lineup:

St. Louis

Dayton

Loyola

Creighton

Xavier

Valparaiso

Butler

Drake

Bradley

Evansville

Detroit Mercy

...20 conference games per year in basketball...RPI would be .5388 today--slightly better than the A10's.

Conference HQ and basketball tournament would be in Chicago...grab some associate members from the PFL to fill out the football conference.

I'll take it.

I love it when 16-16 (8-10) Wichita St. starts saying that the team like Northern Iowa that tied for first and won the conference tourney should be kicked out of the league. This is similar to our situation. I've made many posts saying that we need to actually do something in the A10 before we start wanting to call the shots.

It WAS just an article by a private citizen, so it's only worth a discussion point anyway, just like our A10 deals on this site and elsewhere.

What's really hilarious, though, is how someone would contemplate expelling the defending regular season and tourney champ (UNI) AND the longest serving loyal conference member, by far (Drake).

:blink:

KShoe I don't think your giving SLU enough credit, they have a lot to offer. Temple and St. Joes WILL not be asked to join the basketball only Conf. 'Nova will not allow another Phili school to come in and be on a level playing field. SLU has much more to offer then Dayton, larger market. I get the feeling that UMass will join the other half of the Big East split by going D1 in football. This is something UConn would want.

Now as far as the team goes, next year will be much better. RickMa is bring in one of the best recruiting classes in SLU history. All the players that are worth anything on this years team will be back. I know KL and TL3 get a lot of love and rightfully so but lets face it they weren't that good. TL3 never got better and KL was just a guy. You have two freshmen that will come in and be better than both guys by Jan. KM was the best player on the team with WR right behind him. Watch out for BT because only a handful of centers play well the first year. This team should compete for the A10 championship next year. Heck yeah SLU has a lot to offer.

yes, yes they were. Maybe not first team all-conference but they were "that good."

I'm not going to get into a fight with you when my post was in support of the basketball program. Lets just say we have a different opinion on what is considered "good." What I think we can agree on is next years team will have better players at KL and TL3's positions.

There is NO way, repeat NO way that Dayton or Xavier will join the current or reconstituted Missouri Valley. The current A10, even with GW and Bonnies, is a better basketball conference, a better fit of schools, and a better geography (for travel and alumni base, except for Chicago--but Loyola is not worth it.)

I'm not going to get into a fight with you when my post was in support of the basketball program. Lets just say we have a different opinion on what is considered "good." What I think we can agree on is next years team will have better players at KL and TL3's positions.

Perhaps, and I think it's a stretch, better players for RM's system.

I think under any definition KL and TL are "good" players.

Don't say stupid things and you'll probably avoid "fights."

All the players that are worth anything on this years team will be back. I know KL and TL3 get a lot of love and rightfully so but lets face it they weren't that good. TL3 never got better and KL was just a guy. You have two freshmen that will come in and be better than both guys by Jan.

Lord have mercy, this single post combines the very definitions of both optimism AND insanity.

There is NO way, repeat NO way that Dayton or Xavier will join the current or reconstituted Missouri Valley. The current A10, even with GW and Bonnies, is a better basketball conference, a better fit of schools, and a better geography (for travel and alumni base, except for Chicago--but Loyola is not worth it.)

i agree completely, this suggested conference is not an improvement for anything but geography imo.

if the billikens, dayton and xaiver ever move it has to be for a conference scenario that not only has a sense of geography improvement but also with overall strenghth.

That is revisionist history. There may have been some wishful hoping by some at SLU but once it became apparent that it wasn't just Louisville leaving CUSA and that the Big East was going to this 16 team conference and would need 2 basketball only schools added to the mix, we knew our goose was cooked.

I do agree that the idea of "once the Big East breaks up SLU will get into the perfect conference" talk is a bunch of bs. That will happen ONLY if SLU gets good and stays consistently good similar to where Xavier is currently at and becomes a desired commodity. I, for one, believe Majerus can make this happen but there is no doubt in my mind that if the break-up happened tomorrow we'd be left out in the cold. The break-up would be some form of the 8 Big East basketball only teams going off on there own and taking the top 4 (Xavier, Dayton, Temple, St. Joes, UMass) from this group to create a 12 team league. We need to get near the top of that list so that we can join the party.

KShoe. Not so fast, and as a follow-up to TJHawk, these 4 schools you mention all have good basketball histories and name recognition but Dayton is essentially a suburb of Cincy. When Conf USA first was established, Cincy was chosen over X and Dayton was told no b/c it was deemed to be in the same TV market/geography as Cincy.

Same thing with the Philly schools. 5 good schools makes for some interesting and exciting rivalries but definitely splits the local talent and, IMO, hurts them all from gaining national prominence. If and when SLU gets its act together, we will have no one to compete with which makes reaching our potential that much easier. Adding 2 more Philly schools would not get approved by Villanova and the other schools for the same reason -- same city/TV market. Right now, the A10 has 3 schools and no one can objectively say that 3 schools from the same city is ideal.

Lord have mercy, this single post combines the very definitions of both optimism AND insanity.

An outsider comes on your board and talks highly of your school and you attack him. Your getting better players isn't that what you want? I'm trying not to trash your guys, but... they are role player type guys. TL3 could have been better but that didn't happen. KL is a guy who would be best used off the bench in the A-10. Smile your getting better players and your program is as healthy as its ever been.

An outsider comes on your board and talks highly of your school and you attack him. Your getting better players isn't that what you want? I'm trying not to trash your guys, but... they are role player type guys. TL3 could have been better but that didn't happen. KL is a guy who would be best used off the bench in the A-10. Smile your getting better players and your program is as healthy as its ever been.

Role player guys make all-conference teams?

I feel great about the program, but you deserved to be smacked around for your idiotic comments re: TL and KL.

We won't have 2 players better than KL or TL by Jan of next year. That's a ridiculous statement.

Is this a positive statement about St. Joe's? You guys have a neat mascot, love the way he flaps his wings all day. I heard you have some good recruits coming in. If you could only get a coach that wasn't the most overated coach in all D1, you could get to the tourney a little more often especially with those good players you have on the team now and the new recruits you have coming in.

It's actually alot closer to fact than your statement was .. but neither one was positive.

Honestly, who doesn't? There's no doubt in my mind that he could coach the original dream team to the NCAA championship game.

He had a couple of good years. St. Joe's average rpi over the last 5 years 72. Either he can't get very good players, or can't coach the good players he does get. Martelli is kind of like the Valley .... alot of good press, so the perception becomes that you are better than you actually are.

Hell UB's average rpi over his 5 years wasn't that far off from Martelli's. Got UB fired, makes Martelli a god.

The guy probably likes Martelli ... talk about overrated

I didn't say you have an overrated coach and a back handed complement isn't you should compete for the title next year. And that's JayHawks not St. Joes. The quote that's just plain dumb, is that you won't have two better guys playing by next Jan. You already have two players better on the current team. I didn't mean for this to get ugly. How many schools get pissed off when told that they will be better next year. MFG, just take the damn complement. It's great that you love your guys, cool. They are what they are, ok, be happy for the future. By the way, none of you are man enough to slap me anyway. Wow you've pissed me off.

I didn't say you have an overrated coach and a back handed complement isn't you should compete for the title next year. And that's JayHawks not St. Joes. The quote that's just plain dumb, is that you won't have two better guys playing by next Jan. You already have two players better on the current team. I didn't mean for this to get ugly. How many schools get pissed off when told that they will be better next year. MFG, just take the damn complement. It's great that you love your guys, cool. They are what they are, ok, be happy for the future. By the way, none of you are man enough to slap me anyway. Wow you've pissed me off.

Watch out Skip, you pissed him off. LMAO.

In this instance, TJ, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not our fault that you're a moron.

How many freshmen were 3rd team all A-10?

What you said is that our 2 graduating Sr's that are the 1st and 2nd leading scorers on our team and are both in the top 10 in career points and assts, not to mention TL being in the top 10 in rebounding also ... are role players in the A10. That's stupid, would they be stars in the Big 12, probably not, but they aren't role players in the A10.

In JayHawks are you talking KU?

Watch out Skip, you pissed him off. LMAO.

In this instance, TJ, you have no one to blame but yourself. It's not our fault that you're a moron.

None of us are man enough to slap him he writes as he types anonymously on his computer.

How many freshmen were 3rd team all A-10?

What you said is that our 2 graduating Sr's that are the 1st and 2nd leading scorers on our team and are both in the top 10 in career points and assts, not to mention TL being in the top 10 in rebounding also ... are role players in the A10. That's stupid, would they be stars in the Big 12, probably not, but they aren't role players in the A10.

In JayHawks are you talking KU?

Moytoy and Skip do I know any of you? It seems to me your just screwing with me. Clearly KM and WR are better players right now. Yes KU.

Moytoy and Skip do I know any of you?

You seriously don't know who Skip is? Wow.

It seems to me your just screwing with me.

Nope, you actually are a moron.

Clearly KM and WR are better players right now. Yes KU.

Yes, clearly. I hope they're better than a couple of guys who aren't any good.