Dayton Game Plan

ARbilliken

Throwing this out there to see what everyone's opinions are...Saturday's game IMO is huge for us--so, what do you think rickma will focus on...One thing i remember from the last meeting with the UD tools, is that their transition offense was very quick and ate us up--they created turnovers but more importantly capitalized on them. I have seen our transition D struggle this year and I hope rickma can work that into the gameplan and focus some extra time on that so we can slow them down and keep us in the game. If KM can take care of the ball like he did last night, and the rest of the team for that matter, I think we have an excellent chance saturday. Last night was a good turnover night for us, let's hope that stays for a while

Throwing this out there to see what everyone's opinions are...Saturday's game IMO is huge for us--so, what do you think rickma will focus on...One thing i remember from the last meeting with the UD tools, is that their transition offense was very quick and ate us up--they created turnovers but more importantly capitalized on them. I have seen our transition D struggle this year and I hope rickma can work that into the gameplan and focus some extra time on that so we can slow them down and keep us in the game. If KM can take care of the ball like he did last night, and the rest of the team for that matter, I think we have an excellent chance saturday. Last night was a good turnover night for us, let's hope that stays for a while

i didnt see the last game, but holding any ranked team under 50 points would tell me we defended just fine. i'd take my chance on the game if we held dayton to under 50 again.

Dayton doesn't have much in terms of an exterior game, it graduated with Brian Roberts. Hopes that Wisconsin transfer Mickey Perry would turn into the next great shooter have not materialized. Another freshman, Chris Johnson, has shown signs but he's like our guys --- a freshman. In the first game, backup point guard Rob Lowery was actually a worse shooter than London Warren, going 0 for 7 making the points a combined 1 for 12. Lowery is now gone for the year with a torn patella tendon in the X game.

Dayton scored 14 points off turnovers with 12 of those coming on fast breaks. So you are right in that we have to cut down on the easy baskets. We, on the other hand, had 2 fast break points meaning, outside the fast break game, we actually won 42 to 33. We have to make the game a half court event and control tempo. Teams like Dayton that are suspect at best on the perimeter, need to manufacture points via the break. And they are athletic and they are deep so Brian Gregory is playing to what he has.

If Ahmad Nivins is the best interior guy in the A10, Chris Wright is a close second. Right now, he has more of a perimeter game than Nivins does as a senior. As Wright goes, so goes the Flyers. A problem with this is that if you pay too much attention to Wright, guys like Charles Little and Kurt Huelsman play real nice garbage roles and pick up some slack. A game plan similar to the one employed by us against St. Joe's should be expected. The main difference is that Govens and Carr brought with them the ability to shoot. They just did not. In my opinion, Dayton has no one like that to fear from the outset. But because of their streakiness, they can get hot although I'd believe that more to be true in Dayton than on the road. Outside of Wright, Marques Johnson is about their next best athlete. He is the one they set up the dunk for in their final shot first game. A very nice player, but an athlete, not a shooter.

Even at their place, Rick employed some zone defense. I'd like to see that again. And I wouldn't cover Warren until he makes one. Warren is extremely quick and can make a layup but is always looking to pass, not shoot. With Lowery gone, Stephen Thomas becomes the back up point. He had some nice moments against Xavier but the point is not a Dayton asset.

Dayton is a little different than St. Joes in that they have two nice players instead of one and both Little and Huelsman know their roles and can pull it off. It will be another good game and it should be close. Dayton has lost at Creighton, Charlotte and Umass. I have to admit to being a littel surprised they didn't lose also at La Salle and at Duquesne. I think the speed (or lack thereof) that has been their rise into the Top 25 should tell all that once again, this is a nice Dayton team that plays well and wins at home. Its a year that has seen them go on the road and to neutral sites and beat a good team like Marquette. Their only other name win on the road was at a neutral site where they beat Auburn by a point. Short of being a BCS school, Auburn ain't much to crow about.

I think Dayton could easily go 1 adn 4 down the stretch --- losing at us, Rhodey and X. Yeah, they'll beat Duquesne at home but what will they do at home against Temple? I think they'll win that one.

It would be so nice to knock them off now that they are ranked. Not "stomr-the-floor-floor" nice but nice enough. We need this one.

i didnt see the last game, but holding any ranked team under 50 points would tell me we defended just fine. i'd take my chance on the game if we held dayton to under 50 again.

I agree we defended well,in the half court, and I don't have the stats in front of me, but I i was just thinking of some things to focus on for saturday that we could do differently to give us a better chance--I wasn't saying it was a poor defensive performance altogether--

We limit the TOs and we will win Saturday.

start BT, he got the tip and kept St. Joe's from manhandling us. By the time Willie came in BC and BT had taken some edge off their bigs and BC certainly set one mean pick in that game

Dayton doesn't have much in terms of an exterior game, it graduated with Brian Roberts. Hopes that Wisconsin transfer Mickey Perry would turn into the next great shooter have not materialized. Another freshman, Chris Johnson, has shown signs but he's like our guys --- a freshman. In the first game, backup point guard Rob Lowery was actually a worse shooter than London Warren, going 0 for 7 making the points a combined 1 for 12. Lowery is now gone for the year with a torn patella tendon in the X game.

Dayton scored 14 points off turnovers with 12 of those coming on fast breaks. So you are right in that we have to cut down on the easy baskets. We, on the other hand, had 2 fast break points meaning, outside the fast break game, we actually won 42 to 33. We have to make the game a half court event and control tempo. Teams like Dayton that are suspect at best on the perimeter, need to manufacture points via the break. And they are athletic and they are deep so Brian Gregory is playing to what he has.

If Ahmad Nivins is the best interior guy in the A10, Chris Wright is a close second. Right now, he has more of a perimeter game than Nivins does as a senior. As Wright goes, so goes the Flyers. A problem with this is that if you pay too much attention to Wright, guys like Charles Little and Kurt Huelsman play real nice garbage roles and pick up some slack. A game plan similar to the one employed by us against St. Joe's should be expected. The main difference is that Govens and Carr brought with them the ability to shoot. They just did not. In my opinion, Dayton has no one like that to fear from the outset. But because of their streakiness, they can get hot although I'd believe that more to be true in Dayton than on the road. Outside of Wright, Marques Johnson is about their next best athlete. He is the one they set up the dunk for in their final shot first game. A very nice player, but an athlete, not a shooter.

Even at their place, Rick employed some zone defense. I'd like to see that again. And I wouldn't cover Warren until he makes one. Warren is extremely quick and can make a layup but is always looking to pass, not shoot. With Lowery gone, Stephen Thomas becomes the back up point. He had some nice moments against Xavier but the point is not a Dayton asset.

Dayton is a little different than St. Joes in that they have two nice players instead of one and both Little and Huelsman know their roles and can pull it off. It will be another good game and it should be close. Dayton has lost at Creighton, Charlotte and Umass. I have to admit to being a littel surprised they didn't lose also at La Salle and at Duquesne. I think the speed (or lack thereof) that has been their rise into the Top 25 should tell all that once again, this is a nice Dayton team that plays well and wins at home. Its a year that has seen them go on the road and to neutral sites and beat a good team like Marquette. Their only other name win on the road was at a neutral site where they beat Auburn by a point. Short of being a BCS school, Auburn ain't much to crow about.

I think Dayton could easily go 1 adn 4 down the stretch --- losing at us, Rhodey and X. Yeah, they'll beat Duquesne at home but what will they do at home against Temple? I think they'll win that one.

It would be so nice to knock them off now that they are ranked. Not "stomr-the-floor-floor" nice but nice enough. We need this one.

Huelsman might be the worst player in the A10 who gets significant minutes. He has taken over as the "traffic cone" for Jimmie Binne who graduated last year. Traffic cone because he stands there while people go right past him. He has not progressed whatsoever from freshman year. He has two games this year with ZERO rebounds in 25 and 19 mins. And two more with 1 rebound and 4 more with 2 rebounds.

Also if you are looking for any taunting material someone should print out a big picture of a watermelon as Dayton players are known watermelon humpers dating back years ago.

Huelsman might be the worst player in the A10 who gets significant minutes. He has taken over as the "traffic cone" for Jimmie Binne who graduated last year. Traffic cone because he stands there while people go right past him. He has not progressed whatsoever from freshman year. He has two games this year with ZERO rebounds in 25 and 19 mins. And two more with 1 rebound and 4 more with 2 rebounds.

Also if you are looking for any taunting material someone should print out a big picture of a watermelon as Dayton players are known watermelon humpers dating back years ago.

Haven't seen alot of A-10 games other than who is playing X (only team on TV regularly) but what I did see of Dayton is they are not a good half court offensive team. Make them play a half court game and SLU can get the "W". They do have a 11 (now that Lowery is out) man rotation though which is considered their strong point. Didn't help them much against Charlotte though, but did cripple Xavier.

BTW none of the presnet players were around when the watermelon story went on the web so doubt it will have any affect except for the schools admins to deal with cleaning up the mess afterwards.

Haven't seen alot of A-10 games other than who is playing X (only team on TV regularly) but what I did see of Dayton is they are not a good half court offensive team. Make them play a half court game and SLU can get the "W". They do have a 11 (now that Lowery is out) man rotation though which is considered their strong point. Didn't help them much against Charlotte though, but did cripple Xavier.

BTW none of the presnet players were around when the watermelon story went on the web so doubt it will have any affect except for the schools admins to deal with cleaning up the mess it makes.

Sure you haven't seen many Dayton games this year, but you just happen to know every detail of this watermelon story.

Hey guys...just stopped by and thought i'd comment on this. I think STL is a good team. I can see you guys having a great team next year honestly and being in the top 3 of the conference. Rickma is building something with your program just takes a few years to turn it around. About Dayton I think the guy above said a lot of things right but also some things not so accurate. Warren is extremely quick but he's taking more shots here of late especially againt X and last week again Richmond where he scored 10. Stephen Thomas is a nice player. He isnt as quick as LW but he runs the offense much more efficiently. The 2 players i would worry most about are Marcus Johnson and Chris Wright. Chris Wright the last 2 games has averaged 19points and about 8 rbs. Marcus can go off anytime. As far as the neutral site game with Auburn that was a win but also we played Marquette there and honestly Dayton is a good 6 hours from the site in Chicago where at Marquette is maybe an hour and a half to 2 hours away. This shouldv'e been a home game atmosphere for them but Daytons fans out numbered them 2-1. I honestly wouldnt be surprised to see 2,000 UD fans in STL tomorrow night.

I love STL defense but these are the top 2 defenses in the league. Is Daytons offense better than STL i dont know. But i do know if you dont stop the fast break points they'll push the ball. Heres to a great game.

start BT, he got the tip and kept St. Joe's from manhandling us. By the time Willie came in BC and BT had taken some edge off their bigs and BC certainly set one mean pick in that game

Was that BC who set the screen which flattened their guy at half court?? Wasn't sure which of our Bills had set that one?

Some Dayton guys blog...talkin some smack http://flyersfieldhouse.blogspot.com/2009/...view-again.html

He also says: I've seen your arch. I've been in your arch. Your arch, sir, is boring as ######". Look at the caption under the picture.

Some Dayton guys blog...talkin some smack http://flyersfieldhouse.blogspot.com/2009/...view-again.html

He also says: I've seen your arch. I've been in your arch. Your arch, sir, is boring as ######". Look at the caption under the picture.

That guys an F'ing loser. I've beaten Battletoads so he can eat a big dookie-spackled fist.