City ordinance banning standing up at SLU games

THAT'S NOT THE POINT!!! It's not about me, it's about the efforts of all of us. It's piss poor. I'm sure I speak for the group when I say I've made a few games hung to the roof and not feeling too hot after a night on the town, but I cheer anyway! I'm appalled you try to spin this back at my face, 72. You work for Obama?

I'm not putting in anybody's face. You come to the game to "be heard". I come to the game to watch good kids provide good entertainment. People come for their own reasons. Be thankful that 9,000 plus showed up. Some of us remember when 2,000 or less were showing up.

It's not for me to tell anyone how to act, nor is it for anyone else to tell others.

Just for the record, I yell at refs way too much, stand when I feel I should, and am a very involved fan.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since this is apparently pick on old guys day, I'd like to counter and ask where was the student body? Last time I checked the section was not full. I know there's a lot to do on on a freezing Sunday afternoon at 2. Thanks to those that came, but most of them showed up after the game started. During the opening introduction, I'd bet there weren't 200 students in the stands.

There is NO way there were 200 students there! I agree, the students section was lacking and it was embarassing! When I asked my daughter where were the student fans, she said alot sleep late and just don't get moving that early. I think they could hang up posters, send out email reminders, facebook invites etc. and offer free tickets. Use those Marketing Interns to get out and promote the teams and activities going on at the arena. Heck, give them a ticket to redeem for a free hotdog for coming on a Sunday afternoon! Let's get that section filled and develope some student loyalty to this team!

I have been paying particular attention to the cheerleading comments and will pass them along to the daughter. I have to agree with many of them though. I think they could involve the fan base a little more by "leading the cheers" etc. Especially at those all too many critical last few minutes we seem to be having alot of lately! LETS HEAR SOME NOISE!

As far as standing up at the game, I stand when the moment dictates it. A great play, to show appreciation for a certain player, when it's a close game etc. I would never stand the entire game and block the views of others but I have seen others do just that and it annoys me to death.

Go Bills!

There is NO way there were 200 students there! I agree, the students section was lacking and it was embarassing! When I asked my daughter where were the student fans, she said alot sleep late and just don't get moving that early. I think they could hang up posters, send out email reminders, facebook invites etc. and offer free tickets. Use those Marketing Interns to get out and promote the teams and activities going on at the arena. Heck, give them a ticket to redeem for a free hotdog for coming on a Sunday afternoon! Let's get that section filled and develope some student loyalty to this team!

I have been paying particular attention to the cheerleading comments and will pass them along to the daughter. I have to agree with many of them though. I think they could involve the fan base a little more by "leading the cheers" etc. Especially at those all too many critical last few minutes we seem to be having alot of lately! LETS HEAR SOME NOISE!

As far as standing up at the game, I stand when the moment dictates it. A great play, to show appreciation for a certain player, when it's a close game etc. I would never stand the entire game and block the views of others but I have seen others do just that and it annoys me to death.

Go Bills!

If you read closer, I said during opening introductions there were no more than 200. And I stand by that.

I said during the game, the student section wasn't filled.

pistol, i am class of 82, my wife is class of 84, my son is class of 08 my daughter has slu in her final two even though slu isnt even close to a player in her chosen major.

i have been a billiken club member and season ticket holder since 89. until the a-10 moved the conference tourney to atlantic city, i had only missed two conference tourneys since spoon took over. i bet if you checked i am one of the minority that gives more than the mandatory gift that was put into play this year.

when i was a student i was sitting in the student section with 4 other students when the eventual national champion louisville cardinals came to play. many a night i could count EVERY SINGLE FAN in stands while ekker was giving away another game.

dont tell me about dedication or a want to win. i have been living through the billikens for most of my life. and i bet that most of the old guys some of you are now lecturing could make my story look far tamer.

if you all want to create the atmosphere, first we need to fill the building. last time i heard we are about 3k short of filling the place with season tix. why dont you younger fans find the enthused fans that want to rock the place to fill those seats? either buy em yourself and give em to those that will or find the fans to buy em.

wanna bet if 3,000 more fans are standing and screaming that there is at least that many that are just waiting for you to show the way. and wanna bet that if there is now 6-7 k screaming standing hollering that the other 4k either figure it out or get out.

the point is you arent going to change the atmosphere by asking the oldsters to change. you have to change the attendees and there is plenty of room to make that happen.

and i disagree with any shots at our students. i never thought we would get the numbers we are getting now from the students so they are well on their way to being a true blue crew imo. give em time. like i said, i can remember my blue crew being 4 students.

Roy, I don't see how you took anything I said as a shot to your dedication. Everyone knows who you are. No one questions your dedication. But you said earlier in this thread that us younger fans should be buying tickets and showing older fans how its done, and that until then, the older ones pay the bills. This was after you said you stand as the game dictates (whatever that means) and you won't stand for standing's sake. You seem to have this attitude that since you've been a season ticket holder for so long and give your annual Billiken Club donation plus a little extra that you're somehow more important than the other fans in the seats. Well, behind the scenes, maybe that is true. But as far as the rest of the crowd, players, and cameras are concerned, you're no different than any of the other 9,000 fans in the house and when you sit there and do nothing, it doesn't make you any better than the guy who walked in off the street, bought a cheap ticket, and is screaming his lungs out.

And I know your feelings toward Metz, but you can't deny that he's exactly what you want from a young alum- someone who is dedicated to the program and goes to the games. I live in Cincinnati, I'm 25, but I still have 2 season tickets and go whenever I can, wear SLU stuff, and make my presence known. I also have been in the Billiken Club for two years. I'm not content to sit there quietly, thinking about how entitled I am to sit there quietly because of the support I've given the program. When a game is on, every fan is equal, and every fan needs to act like one.

Roy, I don't see how you took anything I said as a shot to your dedication. Everyone knows who you are. No one questions your dedication.

For the record, I question Roy's dedication. He has neither purchased me season tickets nor flown me in for a game. What type of fan is that? :lol:

For the record, I question Roy's dedication. He has neither purchased me season tickets nor flown me in for a game. What type of fan is that? :lol:

first, moy, i am not the one crying for a change in atmosphere when the solution is filling the remaining seats with the like feelings fan. thusm my suggestion.

second, moy, if i knew you were coming to a specific game and i couldnt, i would give you my seats in a second. you are obviously a great fan.

first, moy, i am not the one crying for a change in atmosphere when the solution is filling the remaining seats with the like feelings fan. thusm my suggestion.

second, moy, if i knew you were coming to a specific game and i couldnt, i would give you my seats in a second. you are obviously a great fan.

I'm totally kidding, I don't question your dedication for one second.

If you ever give me tickets, run it through an intermediary. Thus, when people ask you who that crazy guy was in your seats, you'd have plausible deniability. :lol:

I'm totally kidding, I don't question your dedication for one second.

If you ever give me tickets, run it through an intermediary. Thus, when people ask you who that crazy guy was in your seats, you'd have plausible deniability. :lol:

no way you would be looked down on worse than me.

when i yelled at the ref sunday when Richmond was taking the ball out near my seats, "are you going to be in the richmond team picture after the game?", a lady behind me said that was terrible.

ironically i thought that was about the mildest thing i yelled the whole game. but the point is, i am not an angel, you would have to work really hard to redeem me in the eyes of my seat neighbors. :lol:

I think this is what Metz is getting at. This is what he expects from fans. I don't believe he ever advocated people (other than those in the student section, I guess) standing for the entire game. Use good judgement, but loosen up a bit. Its a college basketball game, played by young students for a University. Its supposed to be fun!! Allow yourself to stand up and get your section going when the team needs the noize. The problem that I have observed, is at these "moments" where fans could reasonably "leap to their feet"... don't.

There are a lot of young people coming to games like metz, and I think they feel that some of the "old guard" folks are holding them back. They don't want to do anything outrageous like turn over cars after wins, or storm a court and hurt a member of the media... they want to cheer and have fun. To enjoy life at these games.

I agree, changing the "old guard" will be hard, but creating a fun atmosphere where people don't feel intimidated about cheering too excessively should be everyone's goal.

No one is really asking that everyone stand all game, but hell we can't even keep the place loud for the last 3 minutes of a close game. I know there are people who are older and have had season tickets and been Billiken Club members for much longer than I have (15 years).

But as fans ask yourself ... is it better for the team if the place is loud and going nuts? or is it better if it's quiet? I know people come to the game and give their money to the program to help make it the best program it can be, but by having 6k seats full of fans old and young who help make the building what my brother jokingly calls 'The Mausoleum" ... you aren't helping.

We will be better team with a building that's rocking and going nuts, it's that simple.

There's no denying the contributions of a lot of people on this board. I will be the first one to tell you that when I get to a certain tax bracket that my contributions will double. I think that it will be hard for a handful of people to raise their hands to get everyone up -- maybe it should come from the players?? I always will remember Phil Hunt imploring people to get up, waving that towel in the air like a helicopter. Maybe we are a mid-major team in a mid-major conference, but let's not act like mid-major fans.

Let's show some bravado and give the establishment a run for their money.

There's no denying the contributions of a lot of people on this board. I will be the first one to tell you that when I get to a certain tax bracket that my contributions will double. I think that it will be hard for a handful of people to raise their hands to get everyone up -- maybe it should come from the players?? I always will remember Phil Hunt imploring people to get up, waving that towel in the air like a helicopter. Maybe we are a mid-major team in a mid-major conference, but let's not act like mid-major fans.

Kwamain tried to do that Sunday and the fans still sat on their hands.

Maybe someone from th Blue Crew should hold up "que" signs and engage the crowd and a little help from the Cheerleaders certainly would help!

Maybe someone from th Blue Crew should hold up "que" signs and engage the crowd and a little help from the Cheerleaders certainly would help!

The band does this for the player introductions. I can't get anyone around me to say "WHO CARES, SO WHAT, GO HAME, ECT."

It would be really something if eveyone in the arena would speak up!

I've been to games around the country through the years. One of the best ways to start "traditions" at the game is before the opening tip.

I'll challenge everyone here to join in with me at the next home game to start a tradition at our new House.

At the conclusion of the National Anthem, stay on your feet, start clapping and start chanting "Let's Go Bills". Keep it up thru both teams player introductions.

Intimidation at the visiting team before the tip is a good thing. And it might help pump up our young pups into playing harder in the first half.

Once you get the house rocking....

We can then build on that.

I've been to games around the country through the years. One of the best ways to start "traditions" at the game is before the opening tip.

I'll challenge everyone here to join in with me at the next home game to start a tradition at our new House.

At the conclusion of the National Anthem, stay on your feet, start clapping and start chanting "Let's Go Bills". Keep it up thru both teams player introductions.

Intimidation at the visiting team before the tip is a good thing. And it might help pump up our young pups into playing harder in the first half.

Once you get the house rocking....

We can then build on that.

ahhhh..we have out first "que" spirit sign to help the crowd along!

What's crazy is that SLU gets so many kids from the Metro Catholic Conference high schools - SLUH, Chaminade, DeSmet, Vianney, CBC - kids who are used to four years of basketball and football games with incredible spirit, cheers, rivalries, etc., but when they get to SLU, they act like they have no idea what to do at the games besides stand around.

Somebody mentioned the "We don't mess around cheer," which I remember from high school. Start doing those cheers.