Nice Gesture at Yesterday's Game

Box and Won

I really enjoyed seeing the "Dinosaurs" - former SLU football players - honored at halftime. It convinced me that I was born way too late; I think I might have been the starting left tackle on those teams back in the 40s.

There were lots of great images of the team shown on the video boards - looked like they used to play in front of some big crowds back in the day. Made me sad that it's been 60 years since the program folded.

I really enjoyed seeing the "Dinosaurs" - former SLU football players - honored at halftime. It convinced me that I was born way too late; I think I might have been the starting left tackle on those teams back in the 40s.

There were lots of great images of the team shown on the video boards - looked like they used to play in front of some big crowds back in the day. Made me sad that it's been 60 years since the program folded.

I'd love to see some of those old game day programs!!!

I know they aren't for the public to view, but the SID's office has some of them. They're pretty cool. I worked in the office back in school. Most players from the 40s and 50s have a file. Some great photos. The basketball programs are cool too, some old ones from the Sugar Bowl Classics.

I missed some of the halftime events, so this may have been covered: The Bills use to play at Walsh Stadium, which I think used to be near the U. High, right around where the Kingshighway-Oakland interchange is. Capacity was around 10,000. I think they were able to steal one or two from Faurot's Mizzou teams back in the 40s . . .

I know this may cause the obligatory rip post on the athletic dept to do many other things they aren't currently doing, but it'd be neat if the athletic department could scan those programs and upload to the Web. Definitely would be nice to have the entire archives of football and basketball scores up.

The pics were great.

The decision to have them throw balls was....not.

Can we lose the kiss cam and the 'Looks like this tv character' garbage and do more nostalgic stuff?

Use the video boards to do a 30sec tribute/highlight for a former Bill.

Can you imagine the ovation a clip of a Donnie Dobbs-type would get?

The interest to read a list of career leaders in a stat category, etc?

It's a Basketball Game, people. I don't want to watch people kiss.

The pics were great.

Can we lose the kiss cam and the 'Looks like this tv character' garbage and do more nostalgic stuff?

The kiss cam is a fixture at most big sporting events anymore. It doesn't bother me too much, makes for some funny moments. Same with the celebrity look-alike; I've only seen that a few places and seeing a familiar face compared to a celeb every now and then makes the misses worthwhile.

I wouldn't mind doing more nostalgic stuff, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that we don't have a lot of nostalgic stuff to do. Look around at the banners. This program is very limited historically. If we are doing remember-when highlights every timeout, we're going to be digging pretty deep into "Hey, remember this slightly-above-average team?" territory. That would be more small-time than any kiss cam or celebrity look-alike contest.

And yes, I can imagine the ovation a Donnie Dobbs clip would get- mild, respectful applause. They showed a Hughes segment during a timeout during the GW game, and it didn't get much of a response from the crowd. If anyone's going to get it, it's him. Face it, people are going to be louder during those fun little timewasters than they are during some Billiken Legends thing. The way this team has been playing, a non-basketball diversion is more helpful for the crowd's mental health than a reminder that there were actually better teams before this one.

The kiss cam is a fixture at most big sporting events anymore. It doesn't bother me too much, makes for some funny moments. Same with the celebrity look-alike; I've only seen that a few places and seeing a familiar face compared to a celeb every now and then makes the misses worthwhile.

I wouldn't mind doing more nostalgic stuff, but you seem to be ignoring the fact that we don't have a lot of nostalgic stuff to do. Look around at the banners. This program is very limited historically. If we are doing remember-when highlights every timeout, we're going to be digging pretty deep into "Hey, remember this slightly-above-average team?" territory. That would be more small-time than any kiss cam or celebrity look-alike contest.

And yes, I can imagine the ovation a Donnie Dobbs clip would get- mild, respectful applause. They showed a Hughes segment during a timeout during the GW game, and it didn't get much of a response from the crowd. If anyone's going to get it, it's him. Face it, people are going to be louder during those fun little timewasters than they are during some Billiken Legends thing. The way this team has been playing, a non-basketball diversion is more helpful for the crowd's mental health than a reminder that there were actually better teams before this one.

Pistol--valid points on the kissing and celebs. I realize people like them. I don't.

Plus, the camera man was creepily pointing at me pre-game, and right before a media break. I escaped before I could be pegged as Chandler Bing, who is not nearly as good looking as I am...

What about the lady they said looked like Marge Simpson? Really? We're doing this to paying customers?

SLU: Hey, take a first date to the SLU game! What a great night out! And while you're there, we might portray you on the video board as Homer Simpson for 8000 people to see, because you are bald and overweight!

I think its low rent.

Did you just use the words "Billiken" and "Legends" together?? :lol: Must be a short segment. <_<

Did you just use the words "Billiken" and "Legends" together?? :lol: Must be a short segment. <_<

That was my whole point, yes. We need the other filler because there isn't enough impressive history to sell the fans on, and those bits don't get the crowd into it anyway, unfortunately.

The pics were great.

i do like the "on this day......" bit they typically do each game.

So how come Scott Highmark wouldn't kiss his wife?

scott sits the row in front of me and he told tom holley after the segment (tom was sitting behind me) that he tried but she wouldnt kiss him. she denied it of course and blamed it on scott.

it is good to know scott married a typical wife. <_<

scott sits the row in front of me and he told tom holley after the segment (tom was sitting behind me) that he tried but she wouldnt kiss him. she denied it of course and blamed it on scott.

it is good to know scott married a typical wife. <_<

two things to be disappointed in: one the full crowd did not manage to show up until after the halftime intermission; and two, the strange people who leave any basketball game with 2 or 3 minutes to play and the Bills behind by 6. What is that 2 three pointers. You wonder if Bills' fans really understand the potential for overtime.