Tom Timmermann's Billiken Beat has the news now

I'm sorry guys, but you're wrong. If you leave mid-way through a season, you are considered as playing that whole season. The next year you have been promoted, even if you don't play until the second half. When Troy Hudson transferred from Missouri in 1995 after two games of his freshman season, when he surfaced at SIU he was a sophomore, and he had to wait until the second semester to play.

The NCAA.org site is down, so I can't cite an official rule. I remember also that when Melvin Robinson transferred midway through his junior season in December 1991, he was to have only the last half of his senior season left to play at Arizona State (albeit he turned pro and never played for ASU).

No dog in the fight, but the Bears have a player who left Boston halfway through the year last year. He decided to sit out second half of the year last year, and the first half of this year to complete his one year transfer year. Then, he will have 2.5 years left of eligibility.

If he has decided to sit out this full year, he would have had 3 years of eligiblity left. There is not situation where he would have had 3.5 years eligibility.

FWIW on another player's similar situation.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this is right, but I think it is, so take it for what that's worth: I think that you can't transfer down to D2 during the year and be eligible immediately. I think if he transferred to UMSL he still wouldn't be eligible for the Spring, but he would be eligible in the Fall of '09 as a Soph and would be able to play 3 years there - but he would not be eligible immediately. I think that there is a rule not allowing players to be eligible that transfer down to D2 in the middle of the year.

I don't think any rules really apply if he went to an NAIA school, as they aren't sanctioned by the NCAA. I assume he could play tomorrow, literally, at an NAIA school.

A girl did that here at a local DII. Stopped playing at one school at one semester, and suited up with another one week later. I think Roy is correct.

A girl did that here at a local DII. Stopped playing at one school at one semester, and suited up with another one week later. I think Roy is correct.

I could be mistaken, but didn't a player transfer from SLU in the early-1990s at Christmas and begin playing the next week at a DII school (somewhere in Kentucky rings a bell)?

I could be mistaken, but didn't a player transfer from SLU in the early-1990s at Christmas and begin playing the next week at a DII school (somewhere in Kentucky rings a bell)?

carlos skinner

I agree with the tenor of your poast but not the 2nd sentance--"2 all conference seniors ahead of you". a. Tommie and Kevin are unlikely to make all conference and b. Tommie has been playing the 3. Rick has basically said he doesn't have another player to play 3 besides Tommie who can rebound. Cassity has been horrid on both ends of the floor yet came off the bench before Cotto to play the 2 for much of the season. That had to be hard to swallow. Still, if this is the reason for the transfer, I think Cotto made a rash decision. The cream always rises to the top. Cotto is the only legit scoring guard on the team after Kevin (if one views Tommie as a fulltime 3). I also think he is valuable as a backup point guard. Cassity is not up to the challenge this year physically and I doubt he will grow into the job. Cotto's minutes were only going up as the season went along. I gotta believe something else is in play with Cotto other than minutes. Otherwise, the smart move was to play out the season at SLU and build a better resume for shopping yourself as a transfer. 1/2 year of extra eligibility is not worth much.

What I'm hearing is that hes not the kind of player we want at SLU anyways. There were multiple times he made up study halls and other things of that nature to get out of practice. Also its more that Cotto couldn't take the criticism from the coaching staff then anything else. He sounds like a soft kid, nothing like the kind of player we need on the team.

What I'm hearing is that hes not the kind of player we want at SLU anyways. There were multiple times he made up study halls and other things of that nature to get out of practice. Also its more that Cotto couldn't take the criticism from the coaching staff then anything else. He sounds like a soft kid, nothing like the kind of player we need on the team.

Based on history, he wouldn't have to be too soft to be too soft for Majerus. In any case, everybody knew this would happen from time to time with Rick.

Guest BillikenReport

Based on history, he wouldn't have to be too soft to be too soft for Majerus. In any case, everybody knew this would happen from time to time with Rick.

From what I heard, Majerus really liked Cotto and thought he could play. I wouldn't put this one on Majerus. Cotto had several chances.

From what I heard, Majerus really liked Cotto and thought he could play. I wouldn't put this one on Majerus. Cotto had several chances.

I'm not saying that I find fault with Majerus here. Not every Tom, Dick, and Harry has what it takes to be a Marine. Based on Trey's description of Cotto as soft, washing out at Parris Island came to mind. You don't blame the drill sgt for that either......

Let's not come down hard on the kid. Whether he made the call himself, or had others barking in his ear --- whether it was based on playing time or if he was having school problems (he did have qualifying questions as I recall because of a learning disability) ---- again we don't really know. Let's wish him well no matter where he shows up, if he shows up. We don't know that either.

As for what we do know, we did know these types of things were always possible under Rick. And its not related to Rick alone. Someone mentioned someone leaving Boston University, or Indiana and George Mason. It happens. We've seen Evan Pederson and Jamal Johnson and Tom Frericks and Reggie Bryant. It is the nature of the beast. I don't like to lose any kid but Cotto was a local kid and a somewhat big name. All Metro I believe. Some said instant offense behind Kevin. But he was a freshman and this is an example of some things that happen in those regards. We all knew it was coming --- it wasn't when as much as it was who.

Hopefully, Femi is working on that jump shot at Chaifetz this year and can add to the incoming class with Reid and Salesvich (sp?). Maybe Rueben was one of those guys better with the ball in his hands and saw Mitchell being and staying ahead of him at the point. Others say Cassity has some promise there. With two shooting guards coming in, who knows what Cotto was thinking.

I'd also have to believe that the courtship session with the coach differ quite drastically from the reality of the coach practicing every day. The wooing can be then interpretted as lying when the reality takes over. Someone talks about recognizing life for what it is at 40 and not 18 --- another good reference.

Again, good luck Rueben. Let's see what happens from here.

As for what we do know, we did know these types of things were always possible under Rick.

Taj, this may be true, but I have a pretty good understanding of what went down behind the scenes, and this situation had very little to do with Majerus.

I think I was wrong on the disability thing --- maybe I'm thinking now that it was a language thing.

In any case, I think I've found out what was out there via PM. Thanks for setting the record straight. Very interesting but it seems typical. Again, hopefully Reid and the Australian can be our overcoming recruits and Femi steps up next year as well. It is also refreshing to hear that Cassity found the bottom of the net finally --- maybe he takes off a little more as well.

I think I was wrong on the disability thing --- maybe I'm thinking now that it was a language thing.

In any case, I think I've found out what was out there via PM. Thanks for setting the record straight. Very interesting but it seems typical. Again, hopefully Reid and the Australian can be our overcoming recruits and Femi steps up next year as well. It is also refreshing to hear that Cassity found the bottom of the net finally --- maybe he takes off a little more as well.

Feel free to PM me then. I am very curious and have heard nothing.