Tip Off Club Meeting Re-Cap

Tip Off Club

Oh, I totally forgot, I was in the gondola at Breck last weekend w/ some Cougars from Kansas (nice ring to it, eh?) and when I mentioned that I was from STL, they of course asked, "Wash U?"

To which I replied, "No, despite the notable proboscis, I went to SLU, homegurlz."

Then, one of them started snapping her fingers and going "ooh, ooh, ooh" (my pants were still on, that's just how old broads try to remember stuff). She finally said, "That Reid boy is going to SLU, I think. They won state last year, he is sumpthin else, I tell ya!"

"He's pretty good, eh?" I inquired.

"Oh, yes," she responded. "He just shoots it from soooo far away and it always goes in."

"Right on, we could use a guy like that." Then I stood up, saluted, forced the retractable doors open and plummeted 40 feet face first onto the ice below*.

* Parts of this story were fictionalized for entertainment value.

You are one sick and funny dude.

So, did you have any success hunting cougars in the mountains?

interesting. "probably never be a very good shooter and that he has to be willing to accept the role of slashing, rebounding, and playing tough defense on the other team's 3". sounds like a description of anthony mitchell who would have run through a wall of fire for rickma and he still had to go elsewhere.

You're kidding right?

Very similar body types and some similar skills. John was the more productive high school player and came from a program that won state and finished second in back-to-back seasons.

The biggest difference is Majerus inherited one player and recruited the other. My guess is if Majerus could have done things differently, he would have redshirted Mitchell last year — that way he could have saved the kid a year of eligibility if Mitchell elected to transfer somewhere else. From what I heard, Mitchell performed very well early in the preseason but kind of tailed off from there.

The biggest factor working against Mitchell was probably that John was coming in right behind him. I know the coaching staff has been careful about recruiting kids that they feel like can't shoot the ball well from the perimeter. I think that's the reason that they have recruited certain kids (Salecich, Reid) and their interest in other players they were recruiting dropped off (Cowels, Lee).

I can understand that line of thinking. I do think a player like John adds something to the roster, but if you have similarly-skilled players who shoot the ball better than he does from the outside, you're probably going to play those guys instead.

Two things Coach Majerus repeatedly talks about - getting kids from winning high school programs and kids who care about their academics. Femi offers both.

He spoke at great lengths about the young guys this year and his expectations for them in the future. He obviously likes Kyle a lot and believes he's got a guy who "understands" the game, could be a great passer, etc. Of the other frosh, he's big on Reed's upside, Conklin's toughness, Mitchell's talent and quickness (although he admits that Mitchell's in overdrive right now), and Brett's potential.

Did coach comment at all about Cotto's development?

Oh, I totally forgot, I was in the gondola at Breck last weekend w/ some Cougars from Kansas (nice ring to it, eh?) and when I mentioned that I was from STL, they of course asked, "Wash U?"

To which I replied, "No, despite the notable proboscis, I went to SLU, homegurlz."

Then, one of them started snapping her fingers and going "ooh, ooh, ooh" (my pants were still on, that's just how old broads try to remember stuff). She finally said, "That Reid boy is going to SLU, I think. They won state last year, he is sumpthin else, I tell ya!"

"He's pretty good, eh?" I inquired.

"Oh, yes," she responded. "He just shoots it from soooo far away and it always goes in."

"Right on, we could use a guy like that." Then I stood up, saluted, forced the retractable doors open and plummeted 40 feet face first onto the ice below*.

* Parts of this story were fictionalized for entertainment value.

This is freaking awesome.

Did coach comment at all about Cotto's development?

He did make a comment about Cotto, but it was less positive than the others. There was some discussion on a backup PG and Majerus felt that Cotto did not have the right feel for the position.

[John was the more productive high school player and came from a program that won state and finished second in back-to-back seasons.]

You have to mention that John was one of three Division I basketball players on that team. That makes a helluva difference in relation to team success. I won't go into the Missouri/Illinois high school basketball discussion.