Revisiting RickMa as Program Changer

satrap

:unsure: I have a hard time objectively evaluating Majerus in light of my favorable disposition toward ex-coach BS. Perhaps he is everything the press clippings that preceded him advertised him as; however, reading the PD story today, one is left with the impression that he was simply mentally unprepared for the obvious challenge he would face. And by challenge, I mean simply running a major basketball program that is not a self sustaining style power.

Two full (!) paragraphs in Tom T's article on page C2 of the PD today refer to absence of practice time. I know we are relatively young, but I have never seen such a continued drumbeat on such a prosaic topic: all teams are getting similar practice time and we have two very experienced seniors and Barry to bring at least some semblance of order to this parade, along with the knowledge that we are relatively younger than we had to be considering the exodus of players last summer.

Perhaps I'm overstating it, I don't know, and I'm not really dissatisfied with the results in terms of being surprised by them- I'm shocked we beat BC. I am just wondering if we've settled into something that is really "top 50" rather than the top 80 I think we generally would be with any of our previous coaches, given the new arena, etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Majerus would practice 24/7 if he could. He just strikes me as that kind of guy ---- only happy in one place and that is on the basketball court. Of course, we all know that there is more to life than that. Other priorities --- like school and studying --- have to have their place. Not Majerus' problem as he doesn't go to class or study for relatively unimportant things like Philosophy tests and Theology exams or Physical Chemistry. He's got to espouse to the "practice makes perfect" principle if you ask me. It doesn't happen that way.

I don't know what it takes to be a "top 50" program, does anyone? Is it a nice on-campus facility? Including practice facility? Is it winning 20 games a season? For some unspecified time? Is it going to X% of the Big Dance invites over a set period of time? Is Butler a top 50 program? Valpo? Davidson? Providence? Again, I think there are tiers, and to aspire to be one of the top is good, but we will never get there. Those top 1% programs seem to remain constant -- Duke, UNC, Kentucky (even in a bad time as now), Kansas, UCLA and so on. What, 327 Divison 1 basketball teams which would make about 33 of them Top Ten Percent. So top 1% would be 3 --- UNC, Kansas and Duke right now. A Top Eighty team as you mention it would put us in the Top 25%. A Top 50 Program would put us in the Top 17% of the nation ---- I don't know that that is realistic. As a goal? Sure. As reality? Nothing based on my 35+ years of experience with this program makes me believe such is a reality will EVER be possible in my lifetime. And I'm about to head on the downward side of 50. Of course, I do get to say "World bleeping Champions" talking about my Phillies for a year. So strange things do happen.

I think Majerus knows how to build. His main claim to fame was Utah -- not a BCS power as we now know it of any sort. He might have had a pipeline with the kids out there in terms of Mormon mission and all that, but that was an added plus, not an overriding factor. He was out there for 20+ years or so, winning or at least being in the running for every Mountain West or Big West title or whatever it was. I could see the same thing going on here. Some pretty decent talent with personalities and demeanors that seem to copy the same formula at Utah. But Rome was not built in a day.

I too liked BS as a person and a coach and thought he deserved another year at least. But I don't know that he ever had a plan. I don't know that Majerus does either, but he's been to the mountain top and had to know the way back down, so he's got experience on both sides. I'll bank on that for now. I don't think today's ten-second-sound-bite world is reality for our little basketball program. We have absolutely zero history and zero cred to sell out there w/o Majerus in my opinion. He still doesn't have a full roster of "his" players and I'm pretty sure that despite the width, him taking his playing skills onto the court will result in larger losses than we are already incurring.

I think Majerius is practicing some real keen media tips in what he is dishing out right now. I see his key message as "we are really young" right now. He says that every time. each and every sound bite is his key message. "They're young." "A bloodbath is coming." "We need more practice." The subparts are supporting the main part -- which some can translate to mean, "hey, don't pick on me, I told you they were young." Some might think that selfish. No matter whatever it is or might be the truth is that they are young. So give it time.

Given the latest attack or questions on "senior leadership," what would it take for one or two senior to say "screw this crap, I don't need it" and choose to hit the highway? I have no knowledge of that but I think we'd all agree that it would not take much for a crack in interior fortitude for some 22-year-old to decide they didn't need this in their lives anymore and take a hike. McGlother Irvin did that in a game once for Grawer's last team, walked off the court before the game was even over. Not all guys are Rudy -- playing for the thrill of wearing the uniform.

Bottomw line: to me only a Majerus can take us out of the pits to the next level. If Majerus fails, what is our next option? Seriously. A HOF coach with a proven track record and brand new facilities and a winnable conference and he doesn't succeed. Where does this program go then?

One senior, Kevin, is not a "screw this crap" kind of guy....however, the environment may get frustrating and he may try to do too much which takes him out of his game.....

Going on the road with 8 freshmen will always be frustrating, especially going to a place like SIU where we NEVER win.

We have an excellent foundation for the future with this and next years freshmen......I can see a situation where Rick, for various reasons (health, etc) does not coach these freshmen for 4 years. I can envision a situation like Iowa in the 80's, where George Raveling recruited a bunch of studs and Dr. Tom Davis came in afterwards used those players to start quite a successful run of NCAA bids, only to have Steve Alford blow it up.

I think Majerus would practice 24/7 if he could. He just strikes me as that kind of guy ---- only happy in one place and that is on the basketball court. Of course, we all know that there is more to life than that. Other priorities --- like school and studying --- have to have their place. Not Majerus' problem as he doesn't go to class or study for relatively unimportant things like Philosophy tests and Theology exams or Physical Chemistry. He's got to espouse to the "practice makes perfect" principle if you ask me. It doesn't happen that way.

I don't know what it takes to be a "top 50" program, does anyone? Is it a nice on-campus facility? Including practice facility? Is it winning 20 games a season? For some unspecified time? Is it going to X% of the Big Dance invites over a set period of time? Is Butler a top 50 program? Valpo? Davidson? Providence? Again, I think there are tiers, and to aspire to be one of the top is good, but we will never get there. Those top 1% programs seem to remain constant -- Duke, UNC, Kentucky (even in a bad time as now), Kansas, UCLA and so on. What, 327 Divison 1 basketball teams which would make about 33 of them Top Ten Percent. So top 1% would be 3 --- UNC, Kansas and Duke right now. A Top Eighty team as you mention it would put us in the Top 25%. A Top 50 Program would put us in the Top 17% of the nation ---- I don't know that that is realistic. As a goal? Sure. As reality? Nothing based on my 35+ years of experience with this program makes me believe such is a reality will EVER be possible in my lifetime. And I'm about to head on the downward side of 50. Of course, I do get to say "World bleeping Champions" talking about my Phillies for a year. So strange things do happen.

I think Majerus knows how to build. His main claim to fame was Utah -- not a BCS power as we now know it of any sort. He might have had a pipeline with the kids out there in terms of Mormon mission and all that, but that was an added plus, not an overriding factor. He was out there for 20+ years or so, winning or at least being in the running for every Mountain West or Big West title or whatever it was. I could see the same thing going on here. Some pretty decent talent with personalities and demeanors that seem to copy the same formula at Utah. But Rome was not built in a day.

I too liked BS as a person and a coach and thought he deserved another year at least. But I don't know that he ever had a plan. I don't know that Majerus does either, but he's been to the mountain top and had to know the way back down, so he's got experience on both sides. I'll bank on that for now. I don't think today's ten-second-sound-bite world is reality for our little basketball program. We have absolutely zero history and zero cred to sell out there w/o Majerus in my opinion. He still doesn't have a full roster of "his" players and I'm pretty sure that despite the width, him taking his playing skills onto the court will result in larger losses than we are already incurring.

I think Majerius is practicing some real keen media tips in what he is dishing out right now. I see his key message as "we are really young" right now. He says that every time. each and every sound bite is his key message. "They're young." "A bloodbath is coming." "We need more practice." The subparts are supporting the main part -- which some can translate to mean, "hey, don't pick on me, I told you they were young." Some might think that selfish. No matter whatever it is or might be the truth is that they are young. So give it time.

Given the latest attack or questions on "senior leadership," what would it take for one or two senior to say "screw this crap, I don't need it" and choose to hit the highway? I have no knowledge of that but I think we'd all agree that it would not take much for a crack in interior fortitude for some 22-year-old to decide they didn't need this in their lives anymore and take a hike. McGlother Irvin did that in a game once for Grawer's last team, walked off the court before the game was even over. Not all guys are Rudy -- playing for the thrill of wearing the uniform.

Bottomw line: to me only a Majerus can take us out of the pits to the next level. If Majerus fails, what is our next option? Seriously. A HOF coach with a proven track record and brand new facilities and a winnable conference and he doesn't succeed. Where does this program go then?

After watching yesterday's game and in my opinion the poor performance from TL and KL I was really disappointed. This team has a lot of raw talent but what is missing is leadership. You can't practice leadership, you need to have TL, KL or perhaps even PE step up and be a leader. PE only played a minute yesterday but he brings tenacity to the team, his defense forced the turnover and the 5 second calls. TL and KL, it is time to be a leader!

I have been reflecting on it quite a bit and I think RM is good for the program and has the potential to build it into a power but it is going to take time. I think we need to see where we are in 2 years when RM's recruits are juniors and how this program is then to truly judge him. If we aren't selling out Chaifetz and coming close to 20 wins a season and contending for the A10 championship with a strong pipeline of new recruits coming in, we are in trouble.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

A beautiful reply, thank you.

Congrats on the Phillies; I was happy for them- it's too bad baseball doesn't command as much of a spotlight as it used to. It's soooo great to have your team win it all.

I would, personally, be thrilled, delighted and goosed to donate if we were a steady top 80 finisher in the final Sagarin Ratings. Those would be my only criteria. NCAA every 4 years, NIT 2 of 4 and perhaps nothing 1/4. It would be grand.

What burned, and still really burns me, was a top-level media guy (Miklasz) constantly humiliating the program with "they're a CYC joint" etc. when we were in fact a top 80 with BS. All of a sudden it was no more Mr. Nice Wittle Program in terms of the media-maven (cue the other radio guys in town) shouts but, really, I don't see the way in which RM has quickened this evolution any more than 100 other possible guys, his resume notwithstanding.

After watching yesterday's game and in my opinion the poor performance from TL and KL I was really disappointed. This team has a lot of raw talent but what is missing is leadership. You can't practice leadership, you need to have TL, KL or perhaps even PE step up and be a leader. PE only played a minute yesterday but he brings tenacity to the team, his defense forced the turnover and the 5 second calls. TL and KL, it is time to be a leader!

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

I'm sorry, but there is no reason that Kyle Cassity plays more than Paul. Call me a Paul homer, I don't care. Cassity is not providing anything right now.

Brad was going no where. He was unable to recruit consistently and it was his undoing. I don't know first had but Brad probably was not this good guy everybody makes him out to be with his players - I am not saying that makes him a bad guy just that we have not let perceptions cloud reality - he had a falling out with Reggie Bryant, Ian had his fill of him, IO certainly was not enthralled with Brad by the end. He chased players off but he always got a free pass because everybody said it has to be the player's fault since Brad is such a nice guy. My point simply is that Brad was not a saint but he was not a devil either. He was just a man who tried to do his job and did not succeed.

I am not unhappy with where we are under RM. RM has shot straight with us both years - he told us it would be tough with the talent we had and the youth of the new players. Some just want to disregard what they hear and create unrealistic expectations and then get angry with RM when the team does not live up to their expectations even though he told them they had unrealistic ones. Where is the poster who taunted 3 Star after the Bills beat BC? - probably in a fetal position somewhere. I said it before and I will say it again - this team will struggle early on and playing 500 or so ball will be about what to expect. RM told us this will be a good team but he did not know if it would be in January or February - lets just let it play out for the year.

Brad made his two post season appearances in his first 2 years with Romar recruits and a couple he added late. I admit that Romar could have left the cupboard better filled then he did but it was a combo of both that went to the NIT. Also, going to the NIT in those years was easier then now because it was based often on who could sell tickets. I am not downgrading the appearances just pointing out that those two teams may very well would not have been selected under the current criteria. If Brad does not got to those two NIT appearances - how would you feel about him now?

I was disappointed with the loss last night to UDM but it was not totally unexpected by me given our current situation. As I said before - KL and TL are seniors but they are only human.

I'm sorry, but there is no reason that Kyle Cassity plays more than Paul. Call me a Paul homer, I don't care. Cassity is not providing anything right now.

Paul should have got more minutes yesterday.

Rickma's playing time decisions deserve just as much criticism as any of the seniors. When nobody on the team seems to be able to run your offense Rick......you might want to put the kid in that knows what he is supposed to do. He kept Conklin on the bench way too long while the Titans made a run. He forgot that his momentum changer Reed was on the Bench until the the end of the second half. This was Rickma's worse game as head coach of the Billikens.

Paul should have got more minutes yesterday.

Rickma's playing time decisions deserve just as much criticism as any of the seniors. When nobody on the team seems to be able to run your offense Rick......you might want to put the kid in that knows what he is supposed to do. He kept Conklin on the bench way too long while the Titans made a run. He forgot that his momentum changer Reed was on the Bench until the the end of the second half. This was Rickma's worse game as head coach of the Billikens.

Agree on all fronts.

I've been as much of a Rickma critic as anyone (we'll Roy probably has me beat in that department) but the Detroit game didn't surprise me. However, that doesn't change my believe that 'yes' Rick Majerus has this program heading in the right direction. I thought our team would be bad this season. We're not only young but also raw up front. Conklin is the only big ready to step in and play heavy minutes in the A10.

But stop and look at the talent already assembled and that which is on the way. When I look at Brett Thompson today and compare him to what I remember of Ian V.'s freshman year, there is no comparison. Brett is much better with more upside due to size and ability to step outside and shoot. This kid is going to be a beast by his junior and senior years but, as with almost all true centers, he's still growing into his body. Willie Reed is that long athletic big we have so badly needed in this program for years but I checked Webster's dictionary under the word "raw" and they had Willie's picture next one of the alternate definitions of that word. He really should have redshirted but we are just too thin up front. KM has been nothing short of awesome for a freshman PG. He's going to make mistakes but he brings so much to the table I'm not discouraged in the least when I see them. Cotto is going to be a scorer but is just too amped up right now. He just needs PT and experience. Cotto will find his shooting touch.

Then look at the players signed for next season. We landed the big shooting guard / wing we need desperately right now (see Jeff Reid). More athletic bigs who can run the floor (see Jon Smith and Cory Remekun). Rick Majerus is systematically filling the holes. The players are coming from all over the place--Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, Australia. Brad Soderberg never in a million years could assemble talent the way Majerus can. Is Majerus borderline insane? You know, he just might be but he is building the program we all wanted to see. The only question is how long Rick's health holds out.

I feel bad that Tommie and Kevin do not appear able to put the kids on their back and carry them and that they don't have more support for their senior years but it is what it is (both players deserved better fates). For every Boston College, there will be a Detroit. We the fans just have to suck it up and be patient.

p.s. Any of you guys watch the Kentucky v. West Virginia game last night? It hurts every time I see Harrelson on the court in that Kentucky uni.

The boys practice 4-6 hours nearly everyday ( including Thanksgiving!) in addition they have weight training. How much more do you think they need?

This is a totally false statement. The worst thing about the internet is that this type of post looks like it has credibility when it is a total lie!

i am a big cassity fan, but right now i dont think he adds much of anything to the team. and suggesting that eckerle is a better solution is like asking if you want to be poked in the eye with a stick or hit in the head with sharp rock.

there is a growing period that most of the freshmen need to go through. and it will take time. rickma wanted this, so let's let it play out and see how it progresses. dont really have much choice do we.

i am a big cassity fan, but right now i dont think he adds much of anything to the team. and suggesting that eckerle is a better solution is like asking if you want to be poked in the eye with a stick or hit in the head with sharp rock.

there is a growing period that most of the freshmen need to go through. and it will take time. rickma wanted this, so let's let it play out and see how it progresses. dont really have much choice do we.

Really Roy? When did we start making a come back? Was it when Cassity was playing?

Agree on all fronts.

As one who has been very close to the program, I will try to explain why I think there is a lack of leadership.

If you go through RM practices and are belittled day after day you do lose your confidence. When you are lacking confidence you lose trust in yourself. When you don't trust yourself, you can't lead others.

Blame the seniors if you want-personally I blame a coach that has no idea of how to communicate with players.

I've been as much of a Rickma critic as anyone (we'll Roy probably has me beat in that department) but the Detroit game didn't surprise me. However, that doesn't change my believe that 'yes' Rick Majerus has this program heading in the right direction. I thought our team would be bad this season. We're not only young but also raw up front. Conklin is the only big ready to step in and play heavy minutes in the A10.

But stop and look at the talent already assembled and that which is on the way. When I look at Brett Thompson today and compare him to what I remember of Ian V.'s freshman year, there is no comparison. Brett is much better with more upside due to size and ability to step outside and shoot. This kid is going to be a beast by his junior and senior years but, as with almost all true centers, he's still growing into his body. Willie Reed is that long athletic big we have so badly needed in this program for years but I checked Webster's dictionary under the word "raw" and they had Willie's picture next one of the alternate definitions of that word. He really should have redshirted but we are just too thin up front. KM has been nothing short of awesome for a freshman PG. He's going to make mistakes but he brings so much to the table I'm not discouraged in the least when I see them. Cotto is going to be a scorer but is just too amped up right now. He just needs PT and experience. Cotto will find his shooting touch.

Then look at the players signed for next season. We landed the big shooting guard / wing we need desperately right now (see Jeff Reid). More athletic bigs who can run the floor (see Jon Smith and Cory Remekun). Rick Majerus is systematically filling the holes. The players are coming from all over the place--Oregon, Wisconsin, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, Australia. Brad Soderberg never in a million years could assemble talent the way Majerus can. Is Majerus borderline insane? You know, he just might be but he is building the program we all wanted to see. The only question is how long Rick's health holds out.

I feel bad that Tommie and Kevin do not appear able to put the kids on their back and carry them and that they don't have more support for their senior years but it is what it is (both players deserved better fates). For every Boston College, there will be a Detroit. We the fans just have to suck it up and be patient.

p.s. Any of you guys watch the Kentucky v. West Virginia game last night? It hurts every time I see Harrelson on the court in that Kentucky uni.

Good post. Maybe I am more frustrated by the seniors lack of leadership than anything. However, I expect Majerus to win that game yesterday.

Edit: Harrellson played well last night. They would have lost that game without him.

The Coach implored me at the beginning of the season to be patient and I said I would. He thought we could be really good by the time this group of freshmen are juniors and the next group of recruits get some seasoning. The problem is that I see our seniors, who people seem to whine about not having enough wins, etc.--seniors who I love in Liddell and Lisch--they are not playing smart or with senior type confident play. I a very much a believer that RM is the best coach for us and he has proved that he can seal the deal with recruits, something that BS who I also was close to--could not do. It is really hard not to want to win a game like Detroit when it appears that if we played with the intensity of the last 3 minutes for the whole game we would have won the game.

I did watch the kentucky game and although JH did get a fair number of minutes he did not seem to do much and he many times lost the handle on the ball or had it ripped out of his hands. When the new recruits get there next year I will be surprised if he plays much.

I did watch the kentucky game and although JH did get a fair number of minutes he did not seem to do much and he many times lost the handle on the ball or had it ripped out of his hands. When the new recruits get there next year I will be surprised if he plays much.

Billikan, with all due respect, there is no way you watched the UK/West Virginia game last night if that was your review of JH. He had 12 points and 10 rebounds with only 2 turnovers in 25 minutes. He may or may not regret the UK decision but last night he was one of the stars of the game. The ESPN announcers said as much during the broadcast.

This is a totally false statement. The worst thing about the internet is that this type of post looks like it has credibility when it is a total lie!

It also gives people like you to act like an authority when you really aren't. I don't know if you or redbird is right, but I do know that redbird would have access to this information.

Billikan, with all due respect, there is no way you watched the UK/West Virginia game last night if that was your review of JH. He had 12 points and 10 rebounds with only 2 turnovers in 25 minutes. He may or may not regret the UK decision but last night he was one of the stars of the game. The ESPN announcers said as much during the broadcast.

No doubt Harrellson gave Kentucky a lift. The main center (Patterson) was in foul trouble. WV was mugging them underneath and Josh came in to restore order. I won't go so far as to say Harrellson was the main reason UK won the game. I thought the starting PG (Michael Porter) was beyond dreadful. The entire game changed when Gillispie benched Porter and went with kids at point.

... but clearly Harrellson would have helped the Billikens this season.

I stand corrected. I watched about 25 minutes at various times and I saw him make one basket and get a couple of rebounds and saw him lose the ball in 50-50 situations at least 4 times. Obviously he must have played well at other times.

As one who has been very close to the program, I will try to explain why I think there is a lack of leadership.

If you go through RM practices and are belittled day after day you do lose your confidence. When you are lacking confidence you lose trust in yourself. When you don't trust yourself, you can't lead others.

Blame the seniors if you want-personally I blame a coach that has no idea of how to communicate with players.

This kills me when people question RM's coaching style or handling of players. Since you are "close to the program", maybe you can help explain how he managed to compile a career record of 438-162 coming into this season while never having a losing season and taking a team to the national championship game in his career. Also, it wasn't like he as handed a national powerhouse when he had this success. He was at Utah. That has to be one of the hardest places in the country to sell to an 18 year old kid.

If he is that big of a piece of crap that can't handle college aged kids, how did Andre Miller, Keith Van Horn and numerous other players have so much success under him? How much better would those teams have been if he had the ability to develop leaders. Obviously he can't do it and wins anyway.

This kills me when people question RM's coaching style or handling of players. Since you are "close to the program", maybe you can help explain how he managed to compile a career record of 438-162 coming into this season while never having a losing season and taking a team to the national championship game in his career. Also, it wasn't like he as handed a national powerhouse when he had this success. He was at Utah. That has to be one of the hardest places in the country to sell to an 18 year old kid.

If he is that big of a piece of crap that can't handle college aged kids, how did Andre Miller, Keith Van Horn and numerous other players have so much success under him? How much better would those teams have been if he had the ability to develop leaders. Obviously he can't do it and wins anyway.

Rick verbally abuses the kids in practice in a methodical, continuous way. It's a matter of record. Why are you shocked to hear it? That's Rick Majerus. How is he successful given his treatment of his players and crazy foibles? I don't know. Those around him say he is a basketball genius. Also, he has a superior ability to identify underrecruited talent. The guy has shown he can run a highly successful program in spite of himself. But aren't all D1 coaches crazy to one extent or another? It appears so.

Rick verbally abuses the kids in practice in a methodical, continuous way. It's a matter of record. Why are you shocked to hear it? That's Rick Majerus. How is he successful given his treatment of his players and crazy foibles? I don't know. Those around him say he is a basketball genius. Also, he has a superior ability to identify underrecruited talent. The guy has shown he can run a highly successful program in spite of himself. But aren't all D1 coaches crazy to one extent or another? It appears so.

Its not that I was shocked to hear it, just wonder how he can win without developing leaders? That was the subject of the post that I quoted.

The post implied that our seniors can't lead because of thier lack of confidence created by RM's abuse. I don't know if you can do that, unless you are willing to say that he has won all of those games without the ability to develop leaders. And if you are saying that, what would his record be if he could develop leaders? 500-90? The coach cannot make clutch shots or have a steady hand in the face of a late game press, it takes talent, poise and many times leadership. Are we willing to say he can have that good of a record without the ability to develop leaders?