alright all you beeeotches

cujaysfan

ok - that is my best attempt at trash talking...

today - in STL - CU baseball take on the billiken boys of summer...

CU has a new headcoach - and has only 3 games under their belts...haven't been able to practice outside yet since the record snow in omaha this year...

however there is some talent - some strong arms for the jays - grasley is something...and tony roth is hitting .600 something (even if it is only 3 games)

glad to see the jays play the bills in something...

i was reading some of the game notes on the cu site...and it doesn't make sense...

SLU coach has been there for something like 16 years - and hasn't really ever done anything.

st louis is the best baseball town in america - i would think there has to be a bunch of really good high school baseball players in the slu metro, southern illinois, northern arkansas area...

where do bills play their games?

do you know that for a roster of about 30 players the billiken baseball team has like 9 scholarships to use? now you tell me, how many really good baseball players that have full ride offers elsewhere are going to pass those full scholarships up to come to st louis u and pay most if not all of their own tuition to play baseball at st louis? the billikens baseball program gets true academic kids that also play baseball. big difference. they just dont have the talent, especially to compete against the southern schools that are extremely serious about baseball. that is why bobby hughes is still the coach. it isnt his fault.

no different than any other baseball playing school...

including last year's defending natl champion - rice - who by all accounts is more expensive and selective academically.

i think slu has a real opportunity in baseball that they have never capitalized on. weather is mostly in its favor, it is in a town that recognizes and appreciates good baseball - so i would think that fan support would be there if a quality product were put out, recruiting shouldn't be an issue - SMS was a CWS team with mostly missouri kids.

i had a friend that went to southwest missouri in the late 80's and he told me that they had over 20 players on full scholarship. are you telling me that ALL ncaa d-1 schools only use 9 scholarship players? if so, then you have a partial point, but it still illustrates the difference in costs per school. if slu is almost 40k per year tuition and room and board, and illinois is not even half that, which school would most kids agree to take if they had to pay their own way to play? still common sense.

trying to remember if it is 9 or 11...for ALL D1....so your freind is incorrect in saying that there were 20 guys on full scholarship - there may have been 20 guys that were splitting - that is probably more accurate.

baseball splits its schollys - in my time at CU - when there was great talent and players - i think only 1 was on full ride (Scott Stahoviak)

the current baseball setup certainly favors both southern schools who have weather in their favor - and public schools where they are drawing the majority of their talent form in-state (keeping their tuition low - and being able to split scholarships etc).

however - the following are expensive private schools that have outstanding baseball - Notre Dame, USC, Pepperdine, Rice, etc. all considerably more expensive than SLU.

SLU is just missing the boat on this IMO.

(edit)

here is a list of baseball america's top 25 -

1. Stanford 10-2 2-1 4 (private)

2. Rice 5-2 3-1 1 (Private)

3. Louisiana State 6-1 4-0 2

4. Miami 4-2 2-1 3 (private)

5. Georgia Tech 6-0 4-0 5

6. Texas 11-2 2-2 6

7. South Carolina 6-0 3-0 7

8. Long Beach State 7-2 3-0 8

9. Tulane 5-1 3-1 9 (private)

10. Auburn 5-1 2-1 10

11. Clemson 0-0 0-0 11

12. Arizona State 8-2 3-1 16

13. Cal State Fullerton 6-6 2-1 14

14. Wichita State 0-0 0-0 15

15. Baylor 3-4 1-3 12 (private)

16. Arizona 5-3 0-2 13

17. North Carolina 3-0 3-0 17

18. Mississippi 3-0 3-0 18

19. Notre Dame 2-0 2-0 19 (private)

20. Texas A&M 7-0 4-0 21

21. Florida Atlantic 10-0 3-0 22

22. Florida 6-3 3-1 20

23. Nebraska 3-0 3-0 23

24. North Carolina State 4-0 3-0 24

25. Florida State 7-3 4-0 25

I remember watching a game in the College World Series a year or two ago and the announcer mentoned that one of the teams only had one or two players on their team on full scholarship. I'm pretty sure that it was said that this was the norm. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's similar to the scholarship system at SLU for soccer, where only 9.9 scholarships are available to be distributed amongst the entire team.

By the way, SLU defeated Creighton 8-2 in the game today.

Seems to me,If SLU is only using 9 ships for baseball,maybe time to use the Bear Bryant approach,like last season giving a "baseball" ship to Dennard Abraham.

nice game yesterday on the basketball court vs sms. i hope you are now over your little superiority complex for the blue jays average basketball team.

>Seems to me,If SLU is only using 9 ships for baseball,maybe

>time to use the Bear Bryant approach,like last season giving

>a "baseball" ship to Dennard Abraham.

The NCAA caught on to that sort of stuff and now the rule is that you must compete a full season in the sport in which you have a scholarship before competing in any other varsity sport. In the SEC it was common to give football players track scholarships so that rule was passed.

the day you apologize to the billiken fans for your own boorish action over the last two seasons is the day i treat you with anything but disrespect.

as to my lack of knowledge. i wasnt the one telling the world at the beginning of the year that creighton would just reload and continue on their ncaa ways. so who has the clouded lack of basketball knowledge?

you come here wanting to start trouble and when someone gives it back to you your response is i have no class? you dont see me over on the blue jay site spouting shots do you? better look in the mirror when it comes to "classless".

well make sure you keep coming back to tell us how much better creighton is than slu at everything. you seem to like doing that. and now that it looks like that isnt the case you are all high and mighty. thanks for stopping by. i am sure all the billiken fans are flooding the creighton boards to tell the blue jays how worthless they are now as you have here for the last two years.

i didnt expect you would be big enough to apologize.

tough year - but of course an uninformed "take" by roy...

jays were out of the gate fast - were ranked in top 25 and got caught with a critical injury - pg who really makes offense go has eye injury and will actually be having a cornea transplant next week - very tough story. that started the slide and jays can't seem to get ship righted. still guranteed an NIT spot - but that is a huge disappointement.

but roy can't seem to get over his obsession with the jays - once again - and i have said this many times - i never come here telling anyone how great the jays are - i only respond to other posts...if you will notice this was a thread about baseball - but roy hijacked and made it into something else as he usually does.

he is trying to have some small amount of power and control in his life - and he finds it here - the rest of it must be so unfulfilling for him.

roy deserves our pity - nothing more - nothing less.

no power play here. i dont discriminate. when opposing fans come here to tell us how bad we are, i would treat creighton fans the same as tiger fans or bearcat fans. show us our due respect and i will return it accordingly. you though have always visited with a patronizing attitude ready to tell us the blue jays are superior in some way. i tell you about it and somehow, instead of visiting with a little more respect, you try to make me look like the bad guy. as i pointed out, you dont see us over in the blue jay house patronizing do you?