Billy Packer - OUT!

i will not miss billy

i hope clark does a good job and remembers that to some people, maybe many, a lot of the joy of the ncaa tourney is the upset by the non-bcs schools - and duke losing

This is awesome. Clark Kellogg does a fantastic job and has the brains and class that Packer could never demonstrate.

Good riddance, Billy. Enjoy retirement and don't bother resurfacing somewhere else.

i would hope now that billy has been sent to the retirement roles, he takes some time to do some cross country travel. personally i would love to be in the car when he crosses the appalacians and realizes he isnt in california yet and that there exists an entire midwest to america.

Packer was a jerk, but the guy does know hoops. He was very good at breaking down a game. The problem was he would let you know how good he was. I would have liked to seen Raferty get the bump to Packer's spot. CBS could do us all a favor by getting Nantz off the top team.

Packer was a jerk, but the guy does know hoops. He was very good at breaking down a game. The problem was he would let you know how good he was. I would have liked to seen Raferty get the bump to Packer's spot. CBS could do us all a favor by getting Nantz off the top team.

Raftery is another one I'd like to see go the way of the dodo bird. I've never been impressed with his spastic color commentary and grating "JUST a little KISS" whenever we see that extraordinary event of a player using the glass. I'd take straightforward guys like Nantz, Kellogg, Seth Davis, or Gumbel instead of goofballs like Packer and Raftery. Those old clowns forget that we turn on the games for the games themselves, not to hear them. I prefer professionals to sideshows (that also counts for Vitale, despite his fanboy enthusiasm).

I would also argue that you're overrating Packer's ability to break down a game. I found him to be one-sided and also very negative in most games he did, and these hurt his ability to deliver solid analysis.

far too often he would try to sell us on why a coach did something (stupid imo) and why it was actually a good move. or he would back up a ref's call that was just wrong. i wont miss the jerk one bit.

i'd even rather have dickie v (who i also dont like) than packer. at least dickie is always having fun.

Raftery is another one I'd like to see go the way of the dodo bird. I've never been impressed with his spastic color commentary and grating "JUST a little KISS" whenever we see that extraordinary event of a player using the glass. I'd take straightforward guys like Nantz, Kellogg, Seth Davis, or Gumbel instead of goofballs like Packer and Raftery. Those old clowns forget that we turn on the games for the games themselves, not to hear them. I prefer professionals to sideshows (that also counts for Vitale, despite his fanboy enthusiasm).

I would also argue that you're overrating Packer's ability to break down a game. I found him to be one-sided and also very negative in most games he did, and these hurt his ability to deliver solid analysis.

Nantz is anything but staightforward. The guy is always trying to make a play on words. It is cheesy and stupid. Raferty is a fan of the game and I enjoy that he doesn't feel the need to hide that.

He is a list of some of Nantz's gems.

http://www.cardchronicle.com/story/2008/3/17/142335/345

I can see how Raftery might be irritating to some, but he's one of my favorites.

I can see how Raftery might be irritating to some, but he's one of my favorites.

Agreed. I enjoy raftery's enthusism. He seems to just enjoy watching basketball. He doesn't care if it's SLU or Duke, he seems to have the same level of enthusiasm...which is more than you can say about Vitale or Packer.

-i like the lundquist/raftery combo on cbs a lot, but verne lundquist could call cow milking and i would listen to at least a minute or two

-imo 2 yrs ago cbs screwed gus johnson by having greg gumble do 3 and 4th round ncaa games over gus and whoever, gus is one of my favorites and imo gumble was horrible

-but billy is gone and it does not bother me

-i like the lundquist/raftery combo on cbs a lot, but verne lundquist could call cow milking and i would listen to at least a minute or two

-imo 2 yrs ago cbs screwed gus johnson by having greg gumble do 3 and 4th round ncaa games over gus and whoever, gus is one of my favorites and imo gumble was horrible

Gus Johnson is the best in the business.

Agreed. I enjoy raftery's enthusism. He seems to just enjoy watching basketball. He doesn't care if it's SLU or Duke, he seems to have the same level of enthusiasm...which is more than you can say about Vitale or Packer.

I know Dickie V can unnerve some, but I wouldn't remotely question his enthusiasm.

He's far more in love with the game than Packer, who is in undying love with himself.

I think Vitale is a tremendous ambassador for the game and sport.

I forgot about Lundquist and Johnson- those two do a great job. It just amazes me that with so many legitimately talented, smart guys at CBS they had Packer doing the big games for so long. And no matter what anyone says here, Raftery just flat-out annoys me. He seems like a good guy, but I have to agree to disagree about his listenability.

As for Dickie V being an ambassador of the game, that's true to an extent- there is no bigger college basketball cheerleader in the media, and it's great to have that. My problem is that he is so hung up on Duke-UNC and the ACC in general that you'd never think he leaves the state of North Carolina. It's the same problem I have with ESPN's baseball coverage- no matter how much baseball they cover, there's only so much Red Sox-Yankees garbage I can take. I wonder when the sports media is going to figure out that these rivalries aren't nearly as interesting to most of the country's sports fans, who have other favorite teams.