Put today's Post in your Birdcage ...

no i am not that dumb. i am a billiken fan that wants to fight for what we deserve unlike you who wants to just accept we arent deserving. imo that is pitiful. but we have come to expect that from your view point. (btw, where are your season ticket seats? i dont recall you answering steve's request for the billiken.com seating chart.)

yes, imo, mi$$ouri should not get equal coverage mainly because i think the post dispatch is dreaming if it thinks it is a true regional paper. it is a st louis paper that sells in the surrounding area but i bet in columbia it isnt the prevalent paper.

that said, if we would accept the regional angle, then yes, illinois, siuc, saint louis university and mi$$ouri should get equal coverage. not mi$$ouri getting the most followed by slu, illinois and siuc in that order as it is now.

Interesting take. I'm glad you're not the business manager for my company. I wonder if the Cleveland St. basketball team gets equal coverage as the Ohio St. football team from the Cleveland newspaper when they both play on Saturdays.

Let me ask you one simple question, which team in the region draws the most interest in St. Louis? Which school has the most fans, alumni, drawing power, etc.? Answer that honestly and you'll figure out why the Post covers one team more than the rest.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have a problem with them covering Mizzou. I just see a extreme lack of coverage of St Louis U.

SLU aluni don't buy papers too?

Interesting take. I'm glad you're not the business manager for my company. I wonder if the Cleveland St. basketball team gets equal coverage as the Ohio St. football team from the Cleveland newspaper when they both play on Saturdays.

Let me ask you one simple question, which team in the region draws the most interest in St. Louis? Which school has the most fans, alumni, drawing power, etc.? Answer that honestly and you'll figure out why the Post covers one team more than the rest.

I'm not necessarily against your point of view, but I must point out that you need to compare apples to apples. The salient question is whether Cleveland State's basketball team gets the same coverage as Ohio State's basketball team in the Plain Dealer.

Also, consider Roy's point. His point is that SLU ought to get more coverage because the coverage plays a role in drumming up excitement. No matter how well or poorly one of the local professional teams is doing (and no matter how long that trend lasts), the St. Louis Post-Dispatch covers the team that belongs to its constituency. Does it matter, though, that there are fewer hockey fans than baseball fans? No. I'm not saying the coverage among the Cardinals, Rams, and Blues is equal, but all get full, dedicated coverage year-round. But the Post considers SLU to be a part-time subject, as they regularly assign SLU's beat writer to cover other topics (sometimes missing out on news of interest to SLU fans) while the Missouri beat writer "gets" to focus on Missouri sports. (Yes, I realize Mizzou has football, but all I'm saying is consider Roy's viewpoint. He's not alone.)

I'm not necessarily against your point of view, but I must point out that you need to compare apples to apples. The salient question is whether Cleveland State's basketball team gets the same coverage as Ohio State's basketball team in the Plain Dealer.

Also, consider Roy's point. His point is that SLU ought to get more coverage because the coverage plays a role in drumming up excitement. No matter how well or poorly one of the local professional teams is doing (and no matter how long that trend lasts), the St. Louis Post-Dispatch covers the team that belongs to its constituency. Does it matter, though, that there are fewer hockey fans than baseball fans? No. I'm not saying the coverage among the Cardinals, Rams, and Blues is equal, but all get full, dedicated coverage year-round. But the Post considers SLU to be a part-time subject, as they regularly assign SLU's beat writer to cover other topics (sometimes missing out on news of interest to SLU fans) while the Missouri beat writer "gets" to focus on Missouri sports. (Yes, I realize Mizzou has football, but all I'm saying is consider Roy's viewpoint. He's not alone.)

Hmm, good points all. But I guess that speaks to the point I'm trying to make. Since Mizzou is the state school, it gets coverage whether or not it does well or not. This year, when the football team has a banner year and the interest is at an all time high, the coverage is going to be all out. Since SLU has not done much in a while it's going to be treated like a part time subject. It's my guess that if SLU and Mizzou both played at the same time and one played on Channel 5 and the other played on channel 4, that Mizzou would get a much higher rating so it only makes sense that they'll get more coverage in the paper. What have the Bills done to warrant more coverage?(P.S. Getting a new A10 Commisioner is not the answer. Few people outside this board probaly care or know about that in St. Louis.

I agree with you point about comparing Cleveland St. bball vs. Ohio St. bball. I would say Ohio St. bball gets more coverage. Just a guess thoug.

Hmm, good points all. But I guess that speaks to the point I'm trying to make. Since Mizzou is the state school, it gets coverage whether or not it does well or not. This year, when the football team has a banner year and the interest is at an all time high, the coverage is going to be all out. Since SLU has not done much in a while it's going to be treated like a part time subject. It's my guess that if SLU and Mizzou both played at the same time and one played on Channel 5 and the other played on channel 4, that Mizzou would get a much higher rating so it only makes sense that they'll get more coverage in the paper. What have the Bills done to warrant more coverage?(P.S. Getting a new A10 Commisioner is not the answer. Few people outside this board probaly care or know about that in St. Louis.

I agree with you point about comparing Cleveland St. bball vs. Ohio St. bball. I would say Ohio St. bball gets more coverage. Just a guess thoug.

Roy's point, as well as others, is that SLU is the city's school and should get coverage without regard to how tell the program is doing, and the fact that you can make that distinction regarding Mizzou but dismiss SLU is what makes people question whether you're really a fan of SLU.

you keep bringing in the region and i couldnt care less about the region. like i said, if it is truly a regional paper, then illinois, and siuc should be included as well as you go to champaign, to carbondale to columbia then probably illinois has even more alumni than mi$$ouri does and siu probably is right there as well. in that scenario slu indeed has the least fans. i say the post is worthless in those outlying areas though.

my argument is i only care about the immediate st louis area. say 40 miles from the arch in all directions. from that standpoint i think slu deserves the most coverage.

It's my guess that if SLU and Mizzou both played at the same time and one played on Channel 5 and the other played on channel 4, that Mizzou would get a much higher rating

i dont agree.

this kind of sounds like the definition of a region

better check your map. champaign, columbia and carbondale are all much further out than 40 miles.

better check your map. champaign, columbia and carbondale are all much further out than 40 miles.

Go get 'em, Broy! My main beef about the article is that it was so amateurish in relation to what the story should have covered. The story should have been about an all-star game in which Mizzou and SLU recruits were prominently featured. I have no problem with a fluff piece about how all the new Mizzou recruits are getting along, but that article should be on power Mizzou.com or whatever their Rivals or Scout sites are called. That being said, I hope that they can come up with a comparable piece on the massive recruiting class that should all be gathering at the RAC every day for pick up games and workouts. Even a nimrod like Postcard could probably agree with that. Roy, it's time to introduce yourself to the new sports editor and put the power of Billikens.com to work.

Roy's point, as well as others, is that SLU is the city's school and should get coverage without regard to how tell the program is doing, and the fact that you can make that distinction regarding Mizzou but dismiss SLU is what makes people question whether you're really a fan of SLU.

SLU is the city's school? Thicks, come on, you're smarter than that. There is no comparison between the largest state school which many people grow up cheering for whether they have ties to it or not and a private, parochial university that has one sport that even the biggest alumni have a hard time getting up for. Do you think the non catholics in the area really care about SLU? Chances are if you like SLU you have some sort of ties to the institution and I don't think that is the case for Mizzou.

Even a nimrod like Postcard could probably agree with that.

That's funny, the band dork calling me a nimrod.

Who gets more coverage in the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times, U of I or UIC/Depaul/Loyola? The largest state school is always going to get the most coverage. SLU deserves more coverage from the paper but lets face it, MU articles sell more advertisement than SLU articles.

i dont agree.

This is the response I received from Dan Caesar when I asked about this in February. Since you don't believe me maybe you'll believe him. Of course since he writes for the Post, I'm sure you'll accuse him of looking at the numbers with Black and Gold glasses.

Sent: Monday, February 04, 2008 5:10 PM

To:

Subject: RE: TV ratings question

I don't have firm numbers at my fingertips, but in GENERAL i would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Plus Mizzou plays in a more high profile conference, with more "name'' teams on its schedule, and that influences things.

Now when SLU has a good season, they get a lot of attention... if you remember back to the spoonhour years and even some of the romar days....

dan caesar

Who gets more coverage in the Chicago Tribune and Sun Times, U of I or UIC/Depaul/Loyola? The largest state school is always going to get the most coverage. SLU deserves more coverage from the paper but lets face it, MU articles sell more advertisement than SLU articles.

I lived in Chicago for 2 1/2 years- June 2005 through November 2007. In the Chicago Tribune, U of I got the most coverage by a little bit, but only because of the wave of success they were riding with the 2004-2005 run. By the time I left, the most recent season was getting underway, and U of I and DePaul shared the most coverage, Northwestern probably third, with Loyola and UIC after that, then Chicago State and Northern Illinois. The Tribune covered all events involving every area DI team, with the two biggest programs splitting coverage.

Naturally, when a team like the Illini make the finals they're going to get some bonus press the next couple seasons, and in Chicago it's already normalized because there isn't a dominant team anymore. The difference in coverage in the Post-Dispatch is stark between Mizzou and SLU and it always has been- and Mizzou hasn't even been very good since 2002-2003.

Living in Cincinnati now, Xavier and UC share the coverage. Xavier's had it tilted in their favor lately because of their success compared to UC. But I would say both programs are covered very thoroughly and fairly, with Miami, OSU, and UK following the local teams.

I lived in Chicago for 2 1/2 years- June 2005 through November 2007. In the Chicago Tribune, U of I got the most coverage by a little bit, but only because of the wave of success they were riding with the 2004-2005 run. By the time I left, the most recent season was getting underway, and U of I and DePaul shared the most coverage, Northwestern probably third, with Loyola and UIC after that, then Chicago State and Northern Illinois. The Tribune covered all events involving every area DI team, with the two biggest programs splitting coverage.

Naturally, when a team like the Illini make the finals they're going to get some bonus press the next couple seasons, and in Chicago it's already normalized because there isn't a dominant team anymore. The difference in coverage in the Post-Dispatch is stark between Mizzou and SLU and it always has been- and Mizzou hasn't even been very good since 2002-2003.

Living in Cincinnati now, Xavier and UC share the coverage. Xavier's had it tilted in their favor lately because of their success compared to UC. But I would say both programs are covered very thoroughly and fairly, with Miami, OSU, and UK following the local teams.

Agree with everything you have said. My question would be what has SLU done to take any coverage away from MU since 2002-2003? I would guess that SLU does get more coverage today than it did then simply because of RM and the new arena. If they start winnign the will see plenty of coverage.

Agree with everything you have said. My question would be what has SLU done to take any coverage away from MU since 2002-2003? I would guess that SLU does get more coverage today than it did then simply because of RM and the new arena. If they start winnign the will see plenty of coverage.

The arena and Majerus are the only two big things- obviously SLU hasn't done enough on the court to justify it. But what has Mizzou done to maintain any good will? The program was mired in scandal and is still seeing fallout from running a program with poor character choices. The way I see it, coverage should be about 50-50 now, and if it were even then no one would say anything.

The arena and Majerus are the only two big things- obviously SLU hasn't done enough on the court to justify it. But what has Mizzou done to maintain any good will? The program was mired in scandal and is still seeing fallout from running a program with poor character choices. The way I see it, coverage should be about 50-50 now, and if it were even then no one would say anything.

but in GENERAL i would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast

Don't let these facts get in the way of your point. I notice no one has commented on this. Typical.

Don't let these facts get in the way of your point. I notice no one has commented on this. Typical.

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:30 PM

To:

Subject: Postcard is a nimrod!

I've been reading the message board thread you emailed me about and have concluded that the poster known as "postcard" is a nimrod.

dan caesar

This just hit my inbox!

Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 1:30 PM

To:

Subject: Postcard is a nimrod!

I've been reading the message board thread you emailed me about and have concluded that the poster known as "postcard" is a nimrod.

dan caesar

This just hit my inbox!

Wow, it took you forever to respond Dickie and that was the best you could do? I guess you don't want to actually address the point of this discussion. You'd rather take personal shots. That's pretty much your style though. Flame away. Don't you have any flood insurance to pawn off? I must say that you have the personality to be in insurance.

Wow, it took you forever to respond Dickie and that was the best you could do? I guess you don't want to actually address the point of this discussion. You'd rather take personal shots. That's pretty much your style though. Flame away. Don't you have any flood insurance to pawn off? I must say that you have the personality to be in insurance.

I was insinuating that your email from Dan Caesar didn't seem all that convincing......

I was insinuating that your email from Dan Caesar didn't seem all that convincing......

Really? You didn't buy that? hahaha. Obviously a good call to email the post dispatch about TV ratings. They would definitely be the best people to ask about that. Maybe I'll email the gas company this afternoon to find out how my water bill is gonna look this month.