Xavier #1 Seed in NCAA Tournament?

RUBillsFan

What do you think Xavier's chances are at a #1 seed?

I think it could happen if they win out and win the A-10 tourney which are both likely. They are 10th in the AP poll right now, but a lot of team ahead of them lost this week (1 Memphis, 4 Kansas, 5 Duke, 8 Butler). I don't think it is crazy to think if they beat Dayton today Xavier could just a couple spots potenitally in the poll. Also they are currently 6th in the RPI (behind Tennessee, Memphis, UNC, Duke, and Texas)

Now, assuming Memphis wins out from here and wins C-USA tourney that is one #1. Another #1 probably goes to UNC or Duke whoever wins the ACC tourney. Same goes for Texas and KU with the Big 12. Then there is Tennessee assuming they don't stumble they get a #1 seed. Also UCLA winning the Pac-10 puts them in consideration or maybe even Georgetown winning the Big East.

I think Xavier's best chance is Memphis, UNC (beating Duke in the final regular season game and winning the ACC tourney), and Tennessee getting #1s. Another team besides Texas or KU winning the big-12 and another team besides UCLA or Stanford winning the Pac-10. Also they need Georgetown not to win the Big East probably.

Upon further examination, it seems more unlikely than I originally though, but it still could happen if a few top teams stumble like they did this week. There is a lot of basketball left to be played. Either way Xavier probably has a #2 locked up if they win out.

What do you think Xavier's chances are at a #1 seed?

I think it could happen if they win out and win the A-10 tourney which are both likely. They are 10th in the AP poll right now, but a lot of team ahead of them lost this week (1 Memphis, 4 Kansas, 5 Duke, 8 Butler). I don't think it is crazy to think if they beat Dayton today Xavier could just a couple spots potenitally in the poll. Also they are currently 6th in the RPI (behind Tennessee, Memphis, UNC, Duke, and Texas)

Now, assuming Memphis wins out from here and wins C-USA tourney that is one #1. Another #1 probably goes to UNC or Duke whoever wins the ACC tourney. Same goes for Texas and KU with the Big 12. Then there is Tennessee assuming they don't stumble they get a #1 seed. Also UCLA winning the Pac-10 puts them in consideration or maybe even Georgetown winning the Big East.

I think Xavier's best chance is Memphis, UNC (beating Duke in the final regular season game and winning the ACC tourney), and Tennessee getting #1s. Another team besides Texas or KU winning the big-12 and another team besides UCLA or Stanford winning the Pac-10. Also they need Georgetown not to win the Big East probably.

Upon further examination, it seems more unlikely than I originally though, but it still could happen if a few top teams stumble like they did this week. There is a lot of basketball left to be played. Either way Xavier probably has a #2 locked up if they win out.

When I first read the title of your post I thought there was no chance. You make a good case but I still think too much needs to happen for it to be realistic. The comittee will have trouble giving 2 non BCS conferences #1s assuming Memphis doesn't lose a few down the stretch. A 2 seed seems very possible as long as they don't stumble down the stretch.

Besides, I believe that Xavier is going to drop a game in the A-10 tourney to help the league out just the way they did last year and GW did the year before.

no doubt that it is unlikely that xavier is incapable of gaining a number one seed twenty days from now, but that doesn't mean you need to paste espn bracketologist garbage as if it's fact, these are the guys that still use words like grit, and the all time favorite 'intangible' (shh, the I word from now on) to describe their 'analysis' of teams, games, players etc.

no doubt that it is unlikely that xavier is capable of gaining a number one seed twenty days from now, but that doesn't mean you need to paste espn bracketologist garbage as if it's fact, these are the guys that still use words like grit, and the all time favorite 'intangible' (shh, the I word from now on) to describe their 'analysis' of teams, games, players etc.

No shot:

From Joe Lunardi (ESPN Braketologist):

Sean From Cincy: Joe, If Xavier wins out and beats quality teams in the A-10 tourney do you see them as a possible #1 seed?

SportsNation Joe Lunardi: No shot of that, Sean.

I have a hard time taking Joe Lunardi seriously with that raccoon pelt he wears on his head.

I have a hard time taking Joe Lunardi seriously with that raccoon pelt he wears on his head.

I have a hard time taking those guys seriosuly because I've seen on more than 1 occasion them change who's in/out in the final hours leading up to the selection show even though the affected teams weren't playing and the Sunday games didn't affect anything. Since nothing changed on the court it leads me to believe they are getting leaked or inside information and adjusting their final picks so that they can say "last year we picked 64 of 65 teams." Tell me how many of your picks from 1 month prior to selection Sunday turned out to be accurate and then I'll be impressed.

I have a hard time taking those guys seriosuly because I've seen on more than 1 occasion them change who's in/out in the final hours leading up to the selection show even though the affected teams weren't playing and the Sunday games didn't affect anything. Since nothing changed on the court it leads me to believe they are getting leaked or inside information and adjusting their final picks so that they can say "last year we picked 64 of 65 teams." Tell me how many of your picks from 1 month prior to selection Sunday turned out to be accurate and then I'll be impressed.

The whole Bracketology thing with the so-called 'experts' is a lot of hot air, but it's still a fun conversation to have as the season goes on because it changes daily. That said, what seed do people actually think Xavier will get? Three more conference games and then a first-round bye in Atlantic City. Assuming they win out, I would hope to see them get a 2-seed. If they lose 1, a lot of it will depend on when that loss comes (first round of the A10 tourney would be the worst spot). Winning the last 3 conference games is key, as it would give them 1 conference loss on the year in an otherwise even conference.

I'm hoping to see them get a 2, but expecting a 3 or 4 because I think they'll lose again and the A10 has cannibalized itself so badly it doesn't look as strong anymore. I still think XU should be rewarded for playing a very tough non-conference schedule and being the landslide #1 out of the A10.

The whole Bracketology thing with the so-called 'experts' is a lot of hot air, but it's still a fun conversation to have as the season goes on because it changes daily. That said, what seed do people actually think Xavier will get? Three more conference games and then a first-round bye in Atlantic City. Assuming they win out, I would hope to see them get a 2-seed. If they lose 1, a lot of it will depend on when that loss comes (first round of the A10 tourney would be the worst spot). Winning the last 3 conference games is key, as it would give them 1 conference loss on the year in an otherwise even conference.

I'm hoping to see them get a 2, but expecting a 3 or 4 because I think they'll lose again and the A10 has cannibalized itself so badly it doesn't look as strong anymore. I still think XU should be rewarded for playing a very tough non-conference schedule and being the landslide #1 out of the A10.

i don't care what seed they get as long as stanley burrell gets 9 shades of herpes and misses the tournament and the rest of his life. :lol: realistically, i think they'll get a 3 seed.

i don't care what seed they get as long as stanley burrell gets 9 shades of herpes and misses the tournament and the rest of his life. :lol: realistically, i think they'll get a 3 seed.

I won't argue with you on that. I'm not a Burrell fan whatsoever and can't wait until he graduates so I don't have to see his aggravating style of play or unjustified ego at work. It's a shame because most of the other guys on that team are pretty good guys.

I've kind of become a de facto XU fan (still a way distant second to SLU) because I live here and they're the gf's favorite team; plus I've seen them play 6 or so times thanks to her dad's season tickets. Burrell is the only reason I have a problem rooting for the team when they don't play SLU. He is also not a fan favorite whatsoever, and most people would just as soon have him graduate and bring in the new guys.

I won't argue with you on that. I'm not a Burrell fan whatsoever and can't wait until he graduates so I don't have to see his aggravating style of play or unjustified ego at work. It's a shame because most of the other guys on that team are pretty good guys.

I've kind of become a de facto XU fan (still a way distant second to SLU) because I live here and they're the gf's favorite team; plus I've seen them play 6 or so times thanks to her dad's season tickets. Burrell is the only reason I have a problem rooting for the team when they don't play SLU. He is also not a fan favorite whatsoever, and most people would just as soon have him graduate and bring in the new guys.

if you marry that girl you are not welcome in the billiken community.

it could be worse he could be marrying a bearcat fan. i think conversation should count for something. at least the xu fan can probably read write and cypher.

She grew up an XU fan because both parents are alums and life-long season ticket holders, and she stayed loyal to them even after attending SLU (not that we did much between 2001 and 2005 to win many converts). You'll be happy to know that I have worn SLU stuff to all XU games I've been to this year, and SLU hasn't been the opponent once. She'll never convert me.

She grew up an XU fan because both parents are alums and life-long season ticket holders, and she stayed loyal to them even after attending SLU (not that we did much between 2001 and 2005 to win many converts). You'll be happy to know that I have worn SLU stuff to all XU games I've been to this year, and SLU hasn't been the opponent once. She'll never convert me.

I bet you anything you have some type of Xavier gear. If so I will alert Congress

OK.

Well - check for SLU in this as the team gets hot the next few weeks:

http://tcaa.puretecmo.com/nit06.html

Last I checked there was 3 games left. The only way we are playing in a post season tourney is winning our conference tourney. Scoring 20pts in a game killed a possible NIT invite.