Philliken's thoughts

philliken

Roy, we have played 8 games give the big man some time

I don't think anyone is not giving RM the time he needs; however, RM shouldn't be impervious to questioning. Why the poor first 1/2's? why the excessive TO's? why is he playing certain players? etc. These are valid questions, even 8 games in.

Roy, we have played 8 games give the big man some time

i think i have said that about a million times the last week. i have no doubt long term majerus will win. my concern though is what we are seeing short term. it shouldnt be this bad.

I don't think anyone is not giving RM the time he needs; however, RM shouldn't be impervious to questioning. Why the poor first 1/2's? why the excessive TO's? why is he playing certain players? etc. These are valid questions, even 8 games in.

I totally agree. I have questioned him a few times already this year about Polk. It just seems that in this thread people are running Majerus out of town already. We had a bad game it happens. To be honest other then giving Polk 35mins a game what players should/shouldnt he be playing? Knollmeyer has been complete waste, Husak dominates Missouri of the blind, Mitchell is averaging more fouls than minutes, and Marcus R. I guess I would like to see some more PT. The bench is very very bare thanks to Brad.

Nothing wrong with questioning the coach. But the bottom line is that we have won the games we were favored to win and lost the ones we were expected to lose. I am amused at how quickly Roy is to question Majerus when he seemingly apologized for almost everything Soderberg bungled. I don't remember Roy being this ticked after we lost to Bonnie and Duquesne.

Nothing wrong with questioning the coach. But the bottom line is that we have won the games we were favored to win and lost the ones we were expected to lose. I am amused at how quickly Roy is to question Majerus when he seemingly apologized for almost everything Soderberg bungled. I don't remember Roy being this ticked after we lost to Bonnie and Duquesne.

I was thinking the same thing. He always had an excuse for Brad.

I totally agree. I have questioned him a few times already this year about Polk. It just seems that in this thread people are running Majerus out of town already. We had a bad game it happens. To be honest other then giving Polk 35mins a game what players should/shouldnt he be playing? Knollmeyer has been complete waste, Husak dominates Missouri of the blind, Mitchell is averaging more fouls than minutes, and Marcus R. I guess I would like to see some more PT. The bench is very very bare thanks to Brad.

Good points.

To your initial thought...i think people (definitely including myself) are just reacting to a 41 point loss to Kent St. i'm pretty sure no one wants to run RM out of town.

I'd like to see AK, MR, AM and PE get a lot of minutes in blowout wins/losses. Let them make mistakes, let them play with a little freedom to see what they could do. Let them build a little confidence. Coach them on how they are supposed to play within the system during a live game.

I'm sure Polk is a good guy, but I can't see why he plays the minutes he plays.

soderberg never had majerus credentials. soderberg never had the university support that majerus had. i had somewhat accepted that it was going to be a long slow crawl to the top. but i indeed was very upset that we lost those games. i just accepted that was the best we could do.

that all changed when we go out and hire and pay for one of the 10 best living coaches still in the game. that brings a higher level of expectations.

btw, prior to the season, i expected at this point to have only lost to pitt. so we are behind my "expected loses". i can assure you though that i have REALLY tempered that expectation going forward.

soderberg never had majerus credentials. soderberg never had the university support that majerus had. i had somewhat accepted that it was going to be a long slow crawl to the top. but i indeed was very upset that we lost those games. i just accepted that was the best we could do.

that all changed when we go out and hire and pay for one of the 10 best living coaches still in the game. that brings a higher level of expectations.

btw, prior to the season, i expected at this point to have only lost to pitt. so we are behind my "expected loses". i can assure you though that i have REALLY tempered that expectation going forward.

when you said "that all changed when we go out and hire and pay for one of the 10 best living coaches still in the game. that brings a higher level of expectations."

That just shows you the talent soderberg left for him.

Also, I agree that the expectations need to be raised but why this year? In the preseason I predicted this billiken team wouldnt win more games then last year (17wins) . When Majerus gets his own players in and we have these types of loses then I wouldnt be to happy. Im not happy about it now but I can understand it

Losing to Kent St. by 20 would be the equivalent of losing to Bonnie, not losing by 41. Duquesne was actually an improving team who simply had no rep last year and will win more games than us this year.

Again, no excuse losing by that margin, but we were the underdog in that game. A loss is a loss in the eyes of the RPI, correct? I'm pretty sure we were favored to win the Duquesne and Bonnie games. We are only in November with a new coach. Last year, we had a coach who had been on the job for 5 years and had an all-conference center.

But getting completely outplayed by the only quality mid majors we have played?

I did not expect much, but getting laughed off the court by Kent State is completely pathetic. I expected this to be kind of a rebuilding year with Majerus coming in and bringing a new system and there would be a natural adjustment period, but this was not expected. At least come ready to play and play hard every night and that is not what I am seeing or hearing.

Again, no excuse losing by that margin, but we were the underdog in that game. A loss is a loss in the eyes of the RPI, correct? I'm pretty sure we were favored to win the Duquesne and Bonnie games. We are only in November with a new coach. Last year, we had a coach who had been on the job for 5 years and had an all-conference center.

so you expected more from a first time head coach in his 5th season with no university support than from a hall of fame coach that has written books and advised nba coaches been cited as a national expert on espn and other fellow coaches on the details or how to win basketball games and negotiated more support from the university than any of us ever dreamed a slu coach would get?

hell there arent but about 4 coaches in all the land that i would expect more from than majerus. now i didnt expect a final four this upcoming april, but i did expect a little bit more of an immediate return if nothing more than something more visually pleasing. hopefully it is still coming. coach majerus has commented numerous times about the convienence of the open schedule dates at the end of december and january that he might be able to accomplish a lot in practices then.

But getting completely outplayed by the only quality mid majors we have played?

I did not expect much, but getting laughed off the court by Kent State is completely pathetic. I expected this to be kind of a rebuilding year with Majerus coming in and bringing a new system and there would be a natural adjustment period, but this was not expected. At least come ready to play and play hard every night and that is not what I am seeing or hearing.

And so you are putting more blame on the coach than the players?

I am not putting blame on Majerus necessarily. I just think at this point he has done nothing to impress me on the court. I see players and a team that has digressed. I love that he has some nice recruits coming in for next season, but when I go to the game with a Mizzou fan and he laughs at the crap we put on the court against Detroit it is tough to take. "You fired a decent man, break the bank to bring in this legendary coach, and that is what you got? What has changed?" We don't have a ton of talent, but I see guys who are playing tight and without a whole lot of drive. I think the players and coaches are at fault for coming out and laying eggs at Missouri State and Kent State. I am pretty certain Majerus will turn things around, but I understand the criticism he is receiving.

I am not putting blame on Majerus necessarily. I just think at this point he has done nothing to impress me on the court. I see players and a team that has digressed. I love that he has some nice recruits coming in for next season, but when I go to the game with a Mizzou fan and he laughs at the crap we put on the court against Detroit it is tough to take. "You fired a decent man, break the bank to bring in this legendary coach, and that is what you got? What has changed?" We don't have a ton of talent, but I see guys who are playing tight and without a whole lot of drive. I think the players and coaches are at fault for coming out and laying eggs at Missouri State and Kent State. I am pretty certain Majerus will turn things around, but I understand the criticism he is receiving.

Good post, i think that sums up my thoughts as well.

A team that has "regressed". Just FYI. Absolutely. I think Majerus is asking for two mutually exclusive things. He wants "the eye of the tiger" within a NASA cubicle. Don't get me wrong - Jordan, Kobe, Steve Nash and all those guys that can completely take over a game - they're VERY smart out there. But they don't always go by the book either; sometimes they just see an opening, and they exploit it. Not because that's what they practice every day, but because their God-given talents and instincts mandate as such. I'm not saying Lisch or Liddell are even in the same league as those other guys, but they are the guys Majerus seems to be referring to when he asks for this "killer instinct", and they've both shown a propensity to lead this team in the past, though not necessarily at the same time. Majerus can't have it both ways. He has to give those guys the freedom to get their hands dirty sometimes. Now if Majerus is huddling them up during the Kent State game and saying, "Listen, guys, relax, just play basketball", then the onus is entirely on the players. But if he's out there with his slide rule computing the ratio of the distance between beads of sweat on one cheek and the other, and micro-managing them to that extent, then a lot of it is on him. I don't know and I can't say which case is reality, but a healthy Lisch and Liddell don't get shut down like that. And this team doesn't get shut down like that, not by WhoGivesASh*t State.

If Majerus is taking shots for us, we're really in trouble this year.

Oh yea ... it was KL who got swatted and the rest of the f...king team that dogged it back on D the entire game.

My bad ... I had been reading this board and just assumed it was Majerus

Oh yea ... it was KL who got swatted and the rest of the f...king team that dogged it back on D the entire game.

My bad ... I had been reading this board and just assumed it was Majerus

:lol::lol::lol:

priceless. that's what the game sounded like. from what i gather kfns.comically