No Post Game Opinions?

I had to work tonight. And my radio at work broke. :angry:

Apparently Tommie entering the game turned it around. Furman put their big man on Tommie and Husak dominated a guy 6 inches shorter than he was.

We won by 14 but apparently the final score isn't indicative of how bad we played.

Tommie only played 17 minutes and nearly had a double double. I hope his issues with Coach Majerus are over now. Majerus doesn't play around. If Tommie has another infraction he might kick him off the team entirely.

Apparently Tommie entering the game turned it around. Furman put their big man on Tommie and Husak dominated a guy 6 inches shorter than he was.

We won by 14 but apparently the final score isn't indicative of how bad we played.

Tommie only played 17 minutes and nearly had a double double. I hope his issues with Coach Majerus are over now. Majerus doesn't play around. If Tommie has another infraction he might kick him off the team entirely.

A win is a win. Majerus was able to get the win and prove a point at the same time. That's not always easy to do. It's still November and SLU is about where most reasonable people expected them to be.

Just finished reading SI's college issue. One thing stands out when you read the team reports of the top 20's. Especially the programs coached by today's living legends: Pitino, Calipari, Sampson, et al. They are tough, detailed in their organization, and demand obedience. You also read about players that commit themselves over the summer to improve their games. This has been lacking at SLU. RM has the resume of these guys because he know what it takes to play at the highest level of D1 ball. Yes, TL in the lineup greatly improves our chances of winining, but RM obviously is looking at a bigger future for SLU. The good sign about TL is he didn't go into the game with an "I don't give a f*** attitude. He played tough. Hopefully, thie is the beginining of he and RM having a "come to Jesus" type relationship.

Just finished reading SI's college issue. One thing stands out when you read the team reports of the top 20's. Especially the programs coached by today's living legends: Pitino, Calipari, Sampson, et al. They are tough, detailed in their organization, and demand obedience. You also read about players that commit themselves over the summer to improve their games. This has been lacking at SLU. RM has the resume of these guys because he know what it takes to play at the highest level of D1 ball. Yes, TL in the lineup greatly improves our chances of winining, but RM obviously is looking at a bigger future for SLU. The good sign about TL is he didn't go into the game with an "I don't give a f*** attitude. He played tough. Hopefully, thie is the beginining of he and RM having a "come to Jesus" type relationship.

Torch,

The guys that Bryce dominated were 6'9" 240 pounds and 6'10". Fix your radio.

I think we learned two things last night: (a) we are a mediocre team without Tommie Liddell and (b ) Bryce can be a presence in the middle on both ends of the floor. Not to say that Bryce will dominate the opposition. We knew he could block shots but the question-mark was whether he could be enough of a presence in the low post to open up things for his teammates.

I don't want to watch the Billikens team that played the first half last night. I'd love to watch the Billikens team that played the 2nd half. This game could end up being really significant for this team. Does Tommie use this game as a springboard out of Rickma's doghouse? Has Bryce now earned a spot in the starting lineup and 25 minutes per game? In the first half last night, Paul Eckerle led the team in minutes. Are we going to see more of that? It could go either way.

Im suprised nobody has any post game opinions considering this game was not the best played game

You have to give credit to the opposition, they were shooters and rained 2s and 3s from everywhere on the court. They rarely missed.

Our defensive intensity lacked in that first half. We gave them the looks and they capalitized on that.

There must of been a "bit of a discussion" in the locker room at half time cause when the second half started, a different team came out. Not only did TL hit the floor, but the defensive pressure really picked up. Watching TL defensively, he was on his man with a purpose. I am sure that is what RM is looking for in each player. Now, everyone was fighting effectlvely thru the screens and the open looks for the foes disappered. SLU intensity increased. To be "Somebody" at the end of the season, you have to play like that for 40 minutes all season long. So I believe that the combination of increased defensive pressure and TL on the floor were two big changes that helped.

When BH and BE are paired in the middle they are an offensive and defensive presence. BE has the athletic moves to get to the basket. BH is the big target in the middle and moved their players at will. When BH gets his little jump hook down, that will move his PPG to a higher level. Once perfected, that move will bring tears to opposition. Let opposing teams figure out how to match up with him! His post play is improving with each game.

If BH had been under RM for the last four years, what would the results be like now?

The whole team needs to watch film on how TL, LM, and KL rebound. If we could get even half that rebounding effort from the rest of the players, PPG would increase. Rebounding is persperation, you have got to want to get that ball. That is the effort TL, LM, and KL have.

Each of these games will hopefully be a positive step in makeing this team ready for conference play. Get the little stuff out of the way now while still winning. Confidence and skill should be continually rising.

It is interesting, I was intently watching TL while he was in, what I noticed was he was able to guard his man well, and KL switched to the guy that eckerle was gaurding (# 1), (a st. louis area freshman???) and that seemed to increase the defensive intensity.

I like Eckerle but he is a freshman and makes freshman mistakes. In a close game these tend to be magnified. But when # 1 hit an open three near the beginning of the second half, RM said enough get tommie in.

The crowd I think had had enough too...yes tommie hit a shot from the top of the key and a lay up and put back , but I ironically it was when he entered the game that the defensive intensity picked up. His defense and rebounding, kevin's d on Dehm, and forced them inside, where Bryce was a significant presence. My recollection is that tommie was late for pregame event last year and missed the first half too. With his play in second half hopefully he has turned a corner. We shall see wednesday.

If BH had been under RM for the last four years, what would the results be like now?

Obviously BH had be underused. I haven't seen the team play in person but he sounds really

impressive. What's is most welcomed is the scoring and shooting. They are putting up points even

when they are not playing their best.

Three post game comments:

1. TL played great! If he plays like that each day/game, he will not be watching from the bench. Not only will he be playing, but believe RM might even add some features to the offense to take advantage of TL's immense talents and his scoring will increase further and talk of about a future NBA career might turn into a reality. Even without adding features to the offense, TL's 8 points in under 18 minutes is basically a 20 point/game average. 20 points for TL and 23 points for KL. Who is saying TL and KL are not picking up RM's offense??

2. BH is off to a fantastic start. Am cautiously optimistic since stamina has been a real issue for him. Heck, last year he got winded just runing up and down the court twice. Apparently, as I heard this second hand, BH said he really didn't get in shape last year (and I presume in the past) in that he new IV would be playing ahead of him. This year, though, he did get in shape (and would be even further along if not for the stress fracture to his ankle). If this story is even partially true, what does it say about Brad? His players didn't really get in shape for him? Brad is that lousy of a judge of talent that BH (who apparently has talent) was not even used last year (or the 2 prior years following his redshirt year) to motivate a lazy and uninspired IV? Heck, he practiced for Brad for 4 years!! And yet people on this Board think Brad might be better for SLU "in the short run"??

3. Not sure if others have the same feeling, but I always sensed that we would win last night's game. We were down by 3 at half and up by 3 or 4 with only a few minutes left. Whether by 1 point or more, the outcome really didn't seem, in my mind, to be in doubt. While not pretty wins against Detroit and Furman, I sensed a mental toughness from the team that they will win. Really did not sense the same with either Brad or Romar. I did with Spoon - his teams won a very large percentage of the close games. Now, Spoon got his hat handed to him at Cincy and UAB quite often, but our teams did win most of the close ones. Brad's teams did not. Also, in the recent past, our teams played similar basketball in both the first and second halfs. Under RM, can already see that we are making changes - both in attitudes when needed and in adjustments - for the second half. Have been quite impressed with RM to date.

Torch,

The guys that Bryce dominated were 6'9" 240 pounds and 6'10". Fix your radio.

They moved the big man over on Tommie for a little while. Then the foreign guy guarded Bryce. He is only 6'6.

They moved the big man over on Tommie for a little while. Then the foreign guy guarded Bryce. He is only 6'6.

I don't know where you got that info but it's not true. They might have ended up getting switched for a play, but the big's stayed on Bryce. There is no way in hell they would have put either of the bigs on Tommie intentionally, he would have blown right by them.

Three post game comments:

1. TL played great! If he plays like that each day/game, he will not be watching from the bench. Not only will he be playing, but believe RM might even add some features to the offense to take advantage of TL's immense talents and his scoring will increase further and talk of about a future NBA career might turn into a reality. Even without adding features to the offense, TL's 8 points in under 18 minutes is basically a 20 point/game average. 20 points for TL and 23 points for KL. Who is saying TL and KL are not picking up RM's offense??

2. BH is off to a fantastic start. Am cautiously optimistic since stamina has been a real issue for him. Heck, last year he got winded just runing up and down the court twice. Apparently, as I heard this second hand, BH said he really didn't get in shape last year (and I presume in the past) in that he new IV would be playing ahead of him. This year, though, he did get in shape (and would be even further along if not for the stress fracture to his ankle). If this story is even partially true, what does it say about Brad? His players didn't really get in shape for him? Brad is that lousy of a judge of talent that BH (who apparently has talent) was not even used last year (or the 2 prior years following his redshirt year) to motivate a lazy and uninspired IV? Heck, he practiced for Brad for 4 years!! And yet people on this Board think Brad might be better for SLU "in the short run"??

3. Not sure if others have the same feeling, but I always sensed that we would win last night's game. We were down by 3 at half and up by 3 or 4 with only a few minutes left. Whether by 1 point or more, the outcome really didn't seem, in my mind, to be in doubt. While not pretty wins against Detroit and Furman, I sensed a mental toughness from the team that they will win. Really did not sense the same with either Brad or Romar. I did with Spoon - his teams won a very large percentage of the close games. Now, Spoon got his hat handed to him at Cincy and UAB quite often, but our teams did win most of the close ones. Brad's teams did not. Also, in the recent past, our teams played similar basketball in both the first and second halfs. Under RM, can already see that we are making changes - both in attitudes when needed and in adjustments - for the second half. Have been quite impressed with RM to date.

How can you not get in shape when you're practicing 6 days a week? If he was loafing in practice certainly BS would have been all over him. Maybe he didn't work at it over the summer, but he would have been in shape by January after practicing for 2 1/2 months. BH was in good enough shape to play at least 10 to 15 minutes a game. BS just didn't play him for whatever reason.

" Apparently, as I heard this second hand, BH said he really didn't get in shape last year (and I presume in the past) in that he new IV would be playing ahead of him."

The key is "......heard second hand." I think it is a case of BS not really giving a player a chance or the confidence to succeed when he did get on the court. I wonder what kind of player IV would be under RM. Then too, would have JJ excelled or found the end of the bench under RM.