Mike Anderson guaranteeing players a NCAA title

brianstl

Nobody hates mizzou more than I do but you have to admit Anderson is a very good coach. He got his UAB team to the sweet sixteen. Given a little more time recruiting players to a high major and playing in his system he has a chance for real success.

Nobody hates mizzou more than I do but you have to admit Anderson is a very good coach. He got his UAB team to the sweet sixteen. Given a little more time recruiting players to a high major and playing in his system he has a chance for real success.

Odds are he'll do it before Brad Soderberg who made the same statement for the Bills.

Odds are he'll do it before Brad Soderberg who made the same statement for the Bills.

I found it interesting Anderson's going after the PG whose already verballed to Florida? Did I read that wrong? It's one thing to do it, it's another to tell the recruit he and the de commit will play well together.

I found it interesting Anderson's going after the PG whose already verballed to Florida? Did I read that wrong? It's one thing to do it, it's another to tell the recruit he and the de commit will play well together.

Maybe that article meant to say the pg Miguel Paul from Florida was committed to Missouri. With yesterday's commitment of Laurence Bowers, their class of 2008 is rounding into form. They have a pg (Paul), sg (Denmon), sf (Bowers) and post player (Moore) and two of those players are in-state. Also appearing in uniform in 2008-2009 will be Zaire Taylor the transfer from Delaware. Looks pretty solid.

Bowers footage from youtube.com

Brad didn't guarantee he would win a title. He said it was his goal to win one at SLU and stated that you shouldn't think that you can't win one at SLU. That is far from guaranteeing a title.

Brian, I never said anything about Brad - my comments were purely related to the Anderson post.

cheese i think he was referring to tigerlefty's comment.

btw lefty, between never from soderberg or never from anderson which one comes first?

but you just keep holding on to that dream. hell it's been months now since a tiger got arrested so that's positive.

You noticed that he did not say he would win a National Title when the kid was there just that he would win one nor did he say he would win one at MU. I agree, seems a little over the top and probably will only come back to bite him.

I could be way off but I just assumed every coach told recruits that they would help lead them to a national title. I sure hope Rick isn't trying to sell Tyler Griffey that he can help lead us to 4th place in the A-10.

I could be way off but I just assumed every coach told recruits that they would help lead them to a national title. I sure hope Rick isn't trying to sell Tyler Griffey that he can help lead us to 4th place in the A-10.

I think that most coaches probably say that if you come here we have a chance to do something very special. They don't guaratee a kid he will win a national title.

As for Griffey, I am sure Rick is reminding him of all the forwards he has sent to the NBA.

i would think anyone besides maybe coach k or billy donovan or rick pitino or roy williams or gary williams or tubby smith or jim calhoun or jim boehiem or tom izzo or lute olsen (i believe that is every actve coach in all of the nearly 350 schools, only 10 out of 350, that have won the national championsip) are promising national titles to recruits is crazy. you need to have been there to be making that kind of a boast imo.

if a coach wants to tell a recruit he wants to play for a title someday, that is one thing, but promising a national title is a little extreme.

i would think anyone besides maybe coach k or billy donovan or rick pitino or roy williams or gary williams or tubby smith or jim calhoun or jim boehiem or tom izzo or lute olsen (i believe that is every actve coach in all of the nearly 350 schools, only 10 out of 350, that have won the national championsip) are promising national titles to recruits is crazy. you need to have been there to be making that kind of a boast imo.

if a coach wants to tell a recruit he wants to play for a title someday, that is one thing, but promising a national title is a little extreme.

Most of those places you named, Broy, have their records well known by recruits. I think Majerus could be sold over Anderson on the basis he's been to the NCAA quite a few times, taken 2 mid major programs pretty far, ie one up to the championship game, and has coached some kids into the NBA. Problem is he did it a few years back, and kids now a days are all about hey what'd you do last year? Hopefully, their parents remember.

Most of those places you named, Broy, have their records well known by recruits. I think Majerus could be sold over Anderson on the basis he's been to the NCAA quite a few times, taken 2 mid major programs pretty far, ie one up to the championship game, and has coached some kids into the NBA. Problem is he did it a few years back, and kids now a days are all about hey what'd you do last year? Hopefully, their parents remember.

but i bet he isnt promising national championships.

I don't see anything wrong with Mike Anderson's approach. Athletics is about confidence. If you don't believe you can win, why are you playing the game? Isn't the goal to win a championship? to be the best? I hope Rick Majerus is "guaranteeing" Tyler Griffey he'll be part of a team that wins a national championship. It's not like this "guarantee" costs anything. Playing at a different school wouldn't guarantee Griffey a national title.

Probably the only players who could reasonably expect to see such a guarantee fulfilled are those recruited to UCLA after the Lew Alcindor era began and until the Bill Walton era ended.

Bobby Knight makes it 11, but he probably just promises them an arse kickin'.

Maybe that article meant to say the pg Miguel Paul from Florida was committed to Missouri. With yesterday's commitment of Laurence Bowers, their class of 2008 is rounding into form. They have a pg (Paul), sg (Denmon), sf (Bowers) and post player (Moore) and two of those players are in-state. Also appearing in uniform in 2008-2009 will be Zaire Taylor the transfer from Delaware. Looks pretty solid.

Bowers footage from youtube.com

If you don't believe you can win a national title, you shouldn't be coaching.