Roth

Matt Roth has verbally committed to Indiana.

Matt Roth headed to Indiana

Class of 2008 shooting guard Matt Roth has verbally committed to Indiana University, picking the Hoosiers over Bradley and St. Louis. "I just thought Indiana was a good fit for me," the Washington, Ill. native told the Indianapolis Star. "I really liked the coaching staff they have there. And I always wanted to play in the Big Ten, so that was a plus, too." Roth, who averaged 21.1 points per game last season, joins Devin Ebanks and Bud Mackey as 2008 commits.

what do you live in a cave? too much "cajun food" probably. we been beating this to death for awhile. see the old board.

Posted yesterday on the old board. I hear "Scampson"'s really looking out for Matt already. He had a ream of partially-completed stationery hand-delivered to the Roth residence this morning. Fun topics include:

"Mom, I wrote my name in chewing gum on the underside of the bench today..."

"Mom, Coach Sampson dragged me out of my dorm room last night and made me practice not checking in at the scorer's table..."

"Mom, Coach made me give Stemler a spongebath today..."

"Mom, I cried all day in the ball closet. I heard Coach snapping a Rolex® around Tyler Zeller's wrist in the other room and it just made it worse. I don't know how long I was in there, the light-up feature on the Timex® Indiglo watch he gave me doesn't work..."

I just hope he doesn't end up leaving one of those letters stamped with lipstick next to the bathtub underneath a bunch of Nick Drake cd's one day...

Ok, that was low... but I like it.

GO BRADLEY!

Sorry billiken_roy, I just saw it posted on rivals. I had heard he was favoring Indiana and Bradley, but had no heard of a verbal committment. Not all of us spend our lives on billikens.com. I have been on the road and Matt Roth committing to IU did not make the local news in Boston.

I did not get too much of a chance to try the local cuisine, but I did eat at Legal Sea Foods one of the nights. I went with the clam chowder and the crab cake dinner. Good stuff. It was kind of tough going from temperatures around the 70s to 95 when I walked off the plane here in St. Louis though.

For those who thought Matt had unreal athleticism and was a multidimensional player...thoughts from the car salesman.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dave Telep on Matt Roth

I have seen Matt Roth numerous times and love his game, but I'm not the expert. So I called Scout.com guru Dave Telep and asked him about the Illinois sharpshooter.

Roth isn't ranked among the top 100 players nationally.

But Telep said that doesn't matter with a player like Roth, who set a new Illinois state record for three-pointers last season as a junior.

Here are a few comments from Telep:

"With guys like Matt Roth it's not about rankings. With a gy like Roth, it's about filling a need. What is happening in college basketball since (Lee) Humphrey did what he did (shine as a three-point shooter) for Florida is every team that knows they're on the verge of doing something very special is looking to put pieces in place."

"Matt Roth is that guy that you know exactly what you're going to get out of him. He understands the role he's going to fill. With the success Humphrey’s had in Florida, you are seeing guys of his mold signed in other places."

"Matt Roth was recruited to Indiana to shoot more three-pointers than lay-ups."

We will have Kyle Kuric visiting in September, BTW.

For those who thought Matt had unreal athleticism and was a multidimensional player...thoughts from the car salesman.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Dave Telep on Matt Roth

I have seen Matt Roth numerous times and love his game, but I'm not the expert. So I called Scout.com guru Dave Telep and asked him about the Illinois sharpshooter.

Roth isn't ranked among the top 100 players nationally.

But Telep said that doesn't matter with a player like Roth, who set a new Illinois state record for three-pointers last season as a junior.

Here are a few comments from Telep:

"With guys like Matt Roth it's not about rankings. With a gy like Roth, it's about filling a need. What is happening in college basketball since (Lee) Humphrey did what he did (shine as a three-point shooter) for Florida is every team that knows they're on the verge of doing something very special is looking to put pieces in place."

"Matt Roth is that guy that you know exactly what you're going to get out of him. He understands the role he's going to fill. With the success Humphrey’s had in Florida, you are seeing guys of his mold signed in other places."

"Matt Roth was recruited to Indiana to shoot more three-pointers than lay-ups."

We will have Kyle Kuric visiting in September, BTW.

Sheltie. Obviously, you're still following this guy. Have you figured our what RM did wrong the last 2 weeks and why we lost our status as the front runner.

Sheltie. Obviously, you're still following this guy. Have you figured our what RM did wrong the last 2 weeks and why we lost our status as the front runner.

Clock Tower, I have been watching my cousin for the last eight years, and it won't stop with him attending Indiana. He's from just outside my hometown. His parents had the same scorecard I had through all the visits. Indiana has the best b school of the three, but is the worst basketball situation for him to play. They will throw him out solely as a designated shooter.

Anything we toss out is conjecture. It may be the staff lost their shine for Matt. With other visits in the making or already scheduled, the decision may not have caught those in the know at West Pine by total surprise. It may have been THEIR decision. Until the final round, we were his private leader, shared with his parents and coach. I'm not going to ask Matt why we lost out. If you want to figure the situation out, call his HS coach, Kevin Brown, at Washington Community High School in Illinois. You can parse it however you want, but Sampson beat Les and RM for his services.

Clock Tower, I have been watching my cousin for the last eight years, and it won't stop with him attending Indiana. He's from just outside my hometown. His parents had the same scorecard I had through all the visits. Indiana has the best b school of the three, but is the worst basketball situation for him to play. They will throw him out solely as a designated shooter.

Anything we toss out is conjecture. It may be the staff lost their shine for Matt. With other visits in the making or already scheduled, the decision may not have caught those in the know at West Pine by total surprise. It may have been THEIR decision. Until the final round, we were his private leader, shared with his parents and coach. I'm not going to ask Matt why we lost out. If you want to figure the situation out, call his HS coach, Kevin Brown, at Washington Community High School in Illinois. You can parse it however you want, but Sampson beat Les and RM for his services.

Gee, Sheltie, your cousin and you couldn't convince him to come? Only kidding. It's not really important we know why he didn't come. You simply are not going to land every kid you pursue. No one does, not even Coach K. There's no arrows to be slung at our staff, given the class that has verballed already. I think RM's initial immediate success, 5 signings in about 5 minutes it seems, got us to thinking he could land anyone he went after. Especially, an MR type, ie not a top 100 4-5 star kid. Even the Maji can't make that happen. Good luck to your cousin. Hope he enjoys it in Bloomington and gets a kick out of wearing those striped warmups. And if he's tossed in there just to shoot 3's and makes enough of them, he'll see plenty of playing time. Got to admit though what does sting about this, is the Cell phone Kelvin picked our pocket again.