New Recruit Listed on Billiken Report

Looks like Nate has a new story up about Armond Battle, a 6-7 PF out of MN for the class of 2008.

I don't have a subscription, so i can't tell you much other than that he has 2 stars and appears to be recruited by Illinois State, Minnesota, Penn State, and Wisconsin.

I saw this kid play in a high school shootout game on digital cable during the season -- he was the player of the game, I believe. In this particular contest Battle did a very good on the boards and scored mostly 12 feet and in. Has a Leon Powell-like build but not quite the explosion off the ground so I don't think that inside game will translate at the next level unless he puts on 15 lbs. The guru write ups I've seen indicate that his perimeter game is a work in progress so it appears he's a tweener right now. Probably a Plan B or C recruit.

He plays for one of the top AAU teams in the country. Underrated prospect. Has about, a half of a dozen offers including Montana, Creighton and UW Milwaukee. He averaged over 20ppg last season and his team went to the state championship game in Minnesota.

Guest BillikenReport

>FYI, neither scout nor rivals shows Montana, Creighton or UW

>Milwaukee as interested schools.

There was a recruiting story on Scout recently that said Battle had offers from a few different schools.

I can only go by what the kid tells me.

- Nate

The thing with V's statement is he has no clue. He has never seen the kid play. He has never talk to anybody that has seen the kid play. He hasn't talked to anybody on or close to the SLU staff to let him know where this kid sits. He has never talked to the kid.

Guest BillikenReport

>The thing with V's statement is he has no clue. He has

>never seen the kid play. He has never talk to anybody that

>has seen the kid play. He hasn't talked to anybody on or

>close to the SLU staff to let him know where this kid sits.

>He has never talked to the kid.

V has become an authority on recruiting on this board.

Here's the deal ...

There are a couple offers out there to kids. Those are the Plan A kids — Suggs, Roth and Perry.

If you know you're not going to get them, you move on to the next group (Plan B).

That next group includes people like Battle and other kids who will get looks here in July.

Battle could be like the Minnesota version of Jesse Perry.

The Billikens are in good position with their four commitments. They can afford to be selective with the other two scholarships. They probably need a JUCO power forward in that group, because you don't want to have five or six freshmen coming in one class and being expected to contribute right away.

You could also see SLU grab another player for the Relphorde, Mitchell and Eckerle class if they can find somebody who fits.

- Nate

Nate, didn't know where to really put this, but I wanted to thank you for the work your doing on Billiken report. I think it will certainly help our recruiting (although I realize that's not necessarily your intent).

When you go visit a school then get a call from a journalist right after, I think it sort of legitimizes the school and visit. With the last regime, you could be recruiting a guy for months and nobody would have a clue. Kids like to see there name in print...at least I would.

Guest BillikenReport

Nashville,

Thanks. I hope you find the site worth the money.

I've put a lot of time and effort into it and hopefully it is something people get behind. If I can get enough subscribers, I'm planning on doing things like paying for a photographer to shoot games and then put photo galleries on the site and paying for more writers.

We'll see how it goes.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

>If Perry is the next to join SLU do we pull the offer for

>Roth off the table to have a spot for Suggs? Or if Roth

>commits do we pull the offer for Perry for the same reason

>as mentioned before?

Anything is possible.

- Nate

i was at the sportsplex by swic monday nite and saw harrelson for myself as he and a group of other swic players were playing pickup. i agree with the description of a more athletic frericks. imo he reminds me a lot of knollmeyer in size and athleticism.

that all said, harrelson was not the best player on the floor. there was another kid that was just about as big heightwise and was just jumping out of the gym. not sure what his name is, but swic has a better inside player than harrelson whomever that kid was!

Guest BillikenReport

>that all said, harrelson was not the best player on the

>floor. there was another kid that was just about as big

>heightwise and was just jumping out of the gym. not sure

>what his name is, but swic has a better inside player than

>harrelson whomever that kid was!

Roy,

Are you talking about one of the skinny 6-8 kids?

SWIC has two kids who look similar, both tall and really skinny.

If so, they definitely can jump. I didn't see much else when I saw them in the open gym.

- Nate

i saw that kid dominating harrelson. dunked over him and took rebounds away from him pretty consistently. beat him down the floor every time.

i agree not as stout physically, however the kid wasnt a stick either. i would assume a year or two from now the kid will have added some strength. but far far quicker, and athletic than harrelson.

Guest BillikenReport

>i saw that kid dominating harrelson. dunked over him and

>took rebounds away from him pretty consistently. beat him

>down the floor every time.

>

>i agree not as stout physically, however the kid wasnt a

>stick either. i would assume a year or two from now the kid

>will have added some strength. but far far quicker, and

>athletic than harrelson.

Thanks for the info. That should be an interesting team to watch this winter.

Should I ask you for a report on Kyle Kirk?

- Nate

kirk was there, but he was reffing the girls high school games. he would shoot around during timeouts and such, but he wasnt involved in any hard play that night. he looked relaxed and seemed to be enjoying himself.

Guest BillikenReport

>In your opinion, who is the better player for SLU? Not just

>the better pure player, but the player that brings the most

>to the table for SLU.

I like both players.

Roth is obviously a really good shooter. Perry has better potential down the line.

Roth is probably a better fit for SLU because he's a guy who can extend the defense and help everyone else around him.

It seems like Roth is more likely to commit at this point. I don't know if Perry will be in the picture for much longer.

- Nate

Your last comment re Perry is interesting. What are you speculating? If, Perry goes elsewhere for whatever reason, does that affect our chances with Suggs?

Nate, it seems like you know something fairly big, but will only hint around. Hummm.