Majerus: Sausage King of Humphrey's

So I went out to dinner with my family for graduation tonight and I told my parents I wanted to buy them a round at Humphrey's (coz they've never been there yet are both SLU alum...but graduated pre-Humphrey's). We walk in and who else is there but Rick Majerus sitting with his assistants and a few members of the women's team (Rachel Diener & Theresa Lisch). Jan ran after me and told me I had to come into the side room b/c Rick wanted to say hi to me. I went in, introduced my parents to him (my dad is a HUGE Billiken bball fan, so you can imagine his excitement). He stood up, shook everyone's hand, then said, "Here, want a sausage?? I brought them down from Wisconsin." He handed my mom, dad, brother, and me a sausage (his last 4...he had a pack of about 10....they were good, but it sure didn't sit well with the creme brule I'd just had at dinner). He was extremely friendly, talked to my entire family for about 5 minutes. He would have kept talking, but I figured I'd duck out while I was ahead. Just a very cool way to top off my college career/graduation day (Jan also brought out the pic of me, Majerus, and my "Ad Majerus Dei Gloriam" sign that is up at Humph's. Majerus said that it had been on the front page of the Salt Lake City newpaper).

He also said they're having a recruit in T/W/Th next week (6'8" guy who looks like George Clooney.....his exact words to me were "have a boyfriend? We have this kids coming in next week....").

He had 4 assistants with him it looked like...I'm sorry I've been so busy these past week I haven't seen if he'd gotten any new ones yet besides Moser, so I'll look around and see who they were.

Sounds like a great way to close out your final day(s) at SLU.

FYI - he's added Thorpe (Soderberg Asst) to his coaching staff. Haven't seen an announcement on other additions yet.

And from what I've heard Rachel Diener has been acting as the big guy's admin. asst. It wouldn't surprise me if she's added permanently to his staff in some way.

PS- How was Yogi?

>He also said they're having a recruit in T/W/Th next week

>(6'8" guy who looks like George Clooney.....his exact words

>to me were "have a boyfriend? We have this kids coming in

>next week....").

I wonder if it is this 6'8" guy? http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=365&p=8&c=1&nid=1167040

VTime, I don't know all the players on your list, but I am pretty sure Perry, Moore, Tillman, and Robinson aren't going to be confused for George Clooney in this lifetime.

P.S. With the exception of Griffey, Deane was a much higher ranked player than all of the guys on your list are or will be. Deane was offered by KU, Wake, Gonzaga, and Utah.

I was at the last baseball game on campus for the season and saw a brace of carts touring. Rick was in the second and I presume it was with a recruit. A positive note, everyone looked happy. I talked with some students at the game who were graduates and they loved seeing Yogi in person because of his fame. However, they were mildly disappointed in his presentation. According to their report, Yogi came on stage with another person who asked Yogi questions which he then responded to. They thought the comments were irrelevant to the occasion and blamed it on Yogi's age. CL was at the game and gave out photos to the seniors. There was a bar b q following the game for players and family. We lost the game to Dayton by one run. It was a heart breaker - a dropped fly ball in the outfield. Final score 4-3 Dayton. Reporting live from the campus, but on a delayed basis, your friendly campus reporter.

http://www.sltrib.com/utahutes/ci_5852288

He was a blue-chip recruit who was an honor student in high school. He was kicked off Utah's team and lost his basketball scholarship for failing to attend class.

I have no inside information that he is considering SLU, but it sure makes a lot of sense. Growing up as a front court player in Salt Lake City, he probably spent most of his life following Rick Majerus. He sounds like a Kevin Lisch-type player on the court, always bringing maximum intensity.

Wiss is a 6'9 center. He started his career at Lafayette with fellow class of 2009 prospects Ty Griffey and Will Kirksey and he didnt get much time. He transferred to Ft Zumwalt West and started all of last season and made great strides in his game. Even Nate Latsch agrees that he is definitely on the rise. For the season he averaged 8ppg 8rpg and 3.7bpg. He continues to get better. Robinson is a 6'9 kid from Decatur Eisenhower. He's listed on the St. Louis Falcons AAU team. He recently committed to Ole Miss, so he's out of the picture. I caught after checking on his progress last night. I noticed that after I made the post, but it was too late to edit. He wasnt committed when he originally joined the Falcons earlier this year and I'm not sure he ever suited up for them in an AAU tournament from what I've heard, but it has been hard to find any literature on that team, as well as Gateway's team. Griffster please keep us informed on Gateway's progress. The team's I usually hear about are the STL Eagles and KC Pump N Run

It seems that the new Utah Coach also released JUCO PF/C Nemanja Calasan from Midland JC in TX. It doesn't seem that he has landed anywhere else yet.

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=365&p=8&c=1&nid=2824148

The new Utah Coach is cleaning house for some reason. We have just enough scholarships for both of these guys.

We may not know who the specific recruits are, but here is the neat part. The recruiting pot is boiling. Carts with Majerus and recruits are scooting around campus, Majerus is bringing sausage over to Humphreys, I saw him cast a longing eye at Vitos, and he probably is dreaming about Boccardi's. Have you ever seen anything like this before? It looks as if a glorious November will be in store for Billiken fans.

David, you probably guessed right Deane being our George Clooney 'look alike'.

I would bet his HS is the only Catholic HS in SLC, and with RM being a big supporter of Catholic education, spent quite a lot of time with booster activities and fund raising. He probably followed this kid since he was 5 years old knowing of his potential.

Its good to hear he will spend 3 days with him, should give RM some idea on his motivation and if he serious about hitting the books.

Tyler already had his meet and greet. .one night last week. No biggie thouugh. RM's got some great stories though. One of those guys like Spoon or Jack Buck.. you could sit and listen to for hours and hours. lol

Nothing to report.. Gatway 17's are struggling a bit in big games... to put 2 halves together. Other than that small ft wayne tourney this weekend and then everyone breaks down for the high school june stuff. July is packed but only 4 weeks and eveyone starts getting ready for the high school season.

Tyler's still got two extra trips. Portand OR and New Orleans for an International tourney, with teams from all over the world, Spain, Europe, South America etc. etc.. pretty cool stuff.