Freshman Power Forward Leaves Utah

Possible Transfer Candidate? Daniel Deane

According to this article, he was kicked off the team for academic issues. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/bask...e.ap/index.html

He went to a private catholic high school and carried a 3.8 gpa in high school: http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect...=2&pr_key=29836

He was a highly ranked prospect who was recruited by the big boys: http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/m...e_daniel00.html

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=365&p=8&c=1&nid=1167040

So he was a 3.8 student at a private school who got kicked off the team for academic reasons? Wow, things change fast in a year when you go to a crazy party school like Utah.

At the risk saying something that some might think abhort, lets not just assume that all private schools are created equal. A 3.8 GPA means little if the school had low standards, the kid took non-college prep classes, or there was little competetion from other kids. I have no idea where the kid went to school but are simply suggesting that he just may not be a strong student but then again he could have just hated it at Utah and did not apply himself.

Trust me, I know not all private schools live up to their billing. Just look at Vianney or Ursuline. But Utah is not exactly Princeton by any means, and a kid who gets a 3.8 at any accredited high school in the country shouldn't be failing out unless he's just not doing anything. Freshman athletes at SLU are required to go to study hall 5 days a week. I'm not sure what the policies are at Utah, but most programs make an effort to make sure the freshmen are doing their homework.

the bigger problem will be the fact that any transfer has to have transferable credit hours that have to fit into an existing major at the school they are transferring to and be on pace to graduate with his/her class.

if the guy is leaving for grade reasons, i would think that equates to non transferable credits to some degree.

i wouldnt think much about this being a real transfer opportunity.

Was he kicked out of school or just the team? I thought it was just the team. Anyway, he'd have to finish the semester and get all the credits he can, but I would assume that being kicked off the team means he's being released from his scholarship so they can free it up for someone else. And logically it would mean that he shouldn't have to sit out a year because everything was initiated on the program's side and he was released. It would make sense to me that he could enroll at another school and suit up next season. That's my thought, anyway, but the NCAA doesn't always operate on logic.

you need to go on before 8 am. i listen to jc prior to that unless he launches into his anti republican speil at which time i immediately turn the dial. unfortunately, that has become more common lately and jc has slipped badly on my rankings.

But Pulley and Dixon didn't have anywhere near a 3.8 GPA (combined, even) at their respective high schools, and those weren't necessarily highly-rated high schools. Dixon was academically questionable from the start. When you bring in a kid with a 3.8, you would expect at least passing academic performance, or that he wouldn't be a guy you'd have to "worry" about.

There are plenty of D1 guys making it who graduated with sub-2.0 GPAs in high school, regardless of the academic competitiveness of the schools. It's just surprising to see someone go from 3.8 to probably under 1.0 in one year when there are other people holding him accountable for his academic performance.

jen sparks is the traffic lady on khits works on JC Corcoran's show as well as afternoon drive show with Mark Klose.

Wow, Vianney and Ursuline, what a coincidence. I was just using those as examples of private schools that have better reputations than they deserve. At least when I was in high school (graduated in 2001), Vianney and Urusline is where kids would go when they were expelled or dropped out of other schools (this does not include Archdiocesesan schools).