Recruiting expectations for RM

>"If you want an NCAA or bust next season, go ahead."

>

>Outside of your strawman, who is saying that?

It is in the terminology. "Expect" isn't a word I would use. Have a good chance at, or chance at, or shot at...etc...are better ways to speak of next season. Saying you

expect" something to happen means it should hapen and anything short of that is disappointment. I do not agree with that sentiment.

The inherited players will learn a new way of thinking, terminolgy, a new system, etc....which takes a little time to do. A few kids will have trouble with the intensity of practices. etc...

Does SLU have a shot at NCAA's next season, yes, is it expected? Not imo. I think fans should always have high expectations of a program, and should have high expectations of Majerus. SLU wasn't much of anything before he arrived.

"The inherited players will learn a new way of thinking, terminolgy, a new system, etc....which takes a little time to do. A few kids will have trouble with the intensity of practices. etc..."

I hope they pick-up on it quicker than they picked up on Brad's new fangled offense.

>Xavier, GW, Rhode Island and Dayton have better talent 1

>thru 8 and have a system in place that the players are

>experienced with. The A-10 is a 3 bid league at best so our

>chances of making the dance next year are quite remote, IMO.

That opinion certainly has merit but another way to look at SLU's situation is that the A-10 is a guard's league and we have one of the best backcourt tandem's in the league. Many question-marks will surround the 2007-2008 Billikens. What kinda contributions do we get from Eberhardt and Relphorde next season? Can Majerus coach up Bryce and put him in positions to succeed? Can Majerus cut down the TOs? Will this team run more and do they have the personnel to run?

Several teams in the A-10 got better this recruiting cycle. SLU did alright but failed to get a true PG (which was a high priority) and is still thin up front; however, I think we will all like our starting 5 next season. Luke Meyer just might be coming off the bench (which would greatly improve the quality of our bench).

just to clarify, courtside you are the ONLY poster that even used the words/thoughts

"Are you prepared to fire Majerus if he doesn't make the NCAA's the next two seasons?"

our higher expectations are a result of majerus's legendary (and deservingly) history or success of doing more with less and a master floor coach. add to that the realization that the program took giant steps forward besides his actual coaching expertise in upgrades in the world around and about the basketball program, you damn straight the expectations are high. that doesnt mean folks will want to fire him if he isnt in the elite eight in two years. there might be a step back, but to request a slow and easy acceptance of the majerus reign isnt going to happen and it shouldnt. the bar has been raised and ricky will jump up and do a one armed chin up. period.

>just to clarify, courtside you are the ONLY poster that even

>used the words/thoughts

>

>"Are you prepared to fire Majerus if he doesn't make the

>NCAA's the next two seasons?"

>

Just to clarify, I asked a question...hence question mark...to one poster.

And yes, the question was in reference to the comments made saying expectations are SLU makes the NCAA's next season. So I asked the question because of also added other over the top remarks made about next year's expectations.

>just to clarify, courtside you are the ONLY poster that even

>used the words/thoughts

>

>"Are you prepared to fire Majerus if he doesn't make the

>NCAA's the next two seasons?"

>

>our higher expectations are a result of majerus's legendary

>(and deservingly) history or success of doing more with less

>and a master floor coach. add to that the realization that

>the program took giant steps forward besides his actual

>coaching expertise in upgrades in the world around and about

>the basketball program, you damn straight the expectations

>are high. that doesnt mean folks will want to fire him if

>he isnt in the elite eight in two years. there might be a

>step back, but to request a slow and easy acceptance of the

>majerus reign isnt going to happen and it shouldnt. the bar

>has been raised and ricky will jump up and do a one armed

>chin up. period.

And, Majerus will be held to fair standards. To me that isn't defined by making the NCAA's his first season at SLU. Do I think he can do that, sure. But I don't believe those are fair expectations.

dont get me wrong though. imo if he doesnt make it to the tourney i will indeed be disappointed unless circumstances not known now arise by next march.

unlike what you want to paint, he is inheriting a 20 win team that lost an average center and returns the likely first team all a-10 guards. you dont have to add much in role play to build on that imo.

>dont get me wrong though. imo if he doesnt make it to the

>tourney i will indeed be disappointed unless circumstances

>not known now arise by next march.

>

>unlike what you want to paint, he is inheriting a 20 win

>team that lost an average center and returns the likely

>first team all a-10 guards. you dont have to add much in

>role play to build on that imo.

He is inheriting a middle of the pack A10 team in a down A10 year, and a program that hasn't had a big significant non-conference win in a while. He is inheriting two good players, and will coach them up well, and, not much else, plenty of inexperienced role players, and a solid undersized out of position 4.

I believe everyone should want to win every game every year. And as a program, people should have higher levels of expectations for SLU.

I don't agree with the notion that Majerus coming in late to a mess, a depleted roster, lack of any successful climate for a long time, ...among other things, ...should be expected to be in NCAA's his first season or it would be a failure or disappointmnent...because that is what expectation means.

I believe if he gets SLU in the tourney next year, great, a bonus. If not, wouldn't affect my thoughts one bit.

I do believe there are a lot of casual fans out there who see unprecedent cash for SLU, etc....and might be raising eyebrows etc...and therfore have new unrealistic expectations.

It'll be a while before SLU is an almost annual NCAA type of team. It shouldn't be a long while before they make it once or a couple of times.

Ka-ching...jjray is on to something with his comments regarding the Bills inability to recruit a true PG. The assists/TO ratio was not NCAA Tourney caliber last year, and unless Kevin or Tommie become that NCAA PG due to Coach Majerus making the Big Dance next season will be nothing more than a crapshoot.

I am not getting hung up on this 20 win team BS either as other than a couple decent A10 wins...mainly GW and Xavier who did we really beat worth a darn. Also there were over 100 teams that won 20 or more so 20 wins is not that big of a deal anymore. Heck it did not even get us

and invite into the Not Important Tourney...did it.

I think in due time Coach Majerus will have us dancing. He has a proven track record, and I liked his comment at the Press Conference...I don't think I forgot how to do this. He sure in the heck knows what he is doing, and I would just add in a little patience. I am confident he will bring very exciting winning basketball to SLU, and I just refuse to say next year is a complete failure without any NCAA Tourney invite. Those who really believe that are just setting themselves up for a big letdown if it does not happen.

Schasz, Brad was canned in part because we are not projected to improve next year. If I fire a 20 game winner, hire the biggest name in the open market, pay him a base of 2.5 times the previous rate, cough for two more expensive assistants, would I not be stupid not to expect better performance? He ain't getting paid to look pretty.

As much as many people did not cut Brad slack, it seems the naysayers are now cutting RM TOO MUCH slack. At a mill a year, there ain't much slack in the jib for me.

>>it seems the naysayers are now cutting RM TOO MUCH slack.<<

I understand your sentiment Sheltiedave but how much chance did Majerus have to improve the talent level of the team for next season? Very little I submit. Even Eberhardt is somewhat Brad's recruit. Essentially, we are asking RM to improve a team consisting totally of Soderberg players. Yes, we have a couple of studs but what sunk Soderberg IMHO was not getting all the necessary complementary players that go with the studs. Add to that we lost the best frontcourt player from last year's team (Ian V.). Rick is being asked to mold Sodie's players into the ideal he needs for his system.

Can RM pull a rabbit out his broad hat and turn Lisch into a true scoring PG? Waive his magic wand and turn Bryce into an inside / outside threat at the 5? Make Tommie an aggressive slashing wing? We've seen flashes of it. Get valuable contributions from the newcomers immediately? It's all possible but I think we should have realistic expectations for the first season. Bryce is never going to be a rebounding machine, thus, Eberhardt has to be or we'll get eaten alive on the glass. Can't wait to see how it all plays out.

Dave,

Are you one of the ones hung up on 20 wins...I am not. As I stated in my previous post, who were the Top 50 we beat in those 20 wins...Top 100??? Did those 20 wins get us postseason?

Brad needed to go as this program was not going anywhere under his reigns, and I am excited that Fr. FINALLY ponied up and brought our little program into the 21st century. However, I still believe a lot of this had to do with the Chafetz Arena opening after next season.

I have every confidence in the world that we will be Dancing sooner rather than later in the Majerus era. He needs time to institute his system and get his recruits into SLU. How much time??? No one really knows but we are going to find out soon, aren't we.

Don't expect me to jump off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge if Coach Majerus does not have us in the Big Dance after the '07-'08 season. Then again I do not value our talent as highly as some...Lisch and Liddell are nice players who may even improve more under Majerus...after that there are quite a few ?'s on the roster...no true PG and no 5 are two of the glaring ones.

sheltiedave said,

"As much as many people did not cut Brad slack, it seems the naysayers are now cutting RM TOO MUCH slack. At a mill a year, there ain't much slack in the jib for me."

exactly.

wasnt a big debate point all year that soderberg wasnt utilizing his talent correctly and that a better coach would have won the temple, duquesne, and st bonnie games?

well we got a better coach and the same talent is there minus our regressing center. plus we added three pretty nice recruits. to expect any less this coming year year imo, is a joke.

schasz said,

"who were the Top 50 we beat in those 20 wins...Top 100?"

xaiver 33

missouri state 36

houston 83

mississippi 58

st joes 95

george washington 71

dayton 75

umass 61

loyola and rhode island were close at 101 and 109 respectively.

schasz, there was nothing wrong with our schedule. the reason we were not in post season was simply temple, st bonnie and duquesne. we win those three games we were in the ncaa tourney.

Maybe not with the egg we laid in the A10 tourney against GW. Tired legs is one thing but being totally outclassed, unable to break a press, unable to cross the half-court line to start the offense.... Our loss against Tex A&M also was extremely embarassing. We had no business being on the same Court with them that day. 23 wins is 23 wins but you cannot have truly embarrasing losses and expect to go to the Tournament. The Committee can and does factor in losses like these.