Lisch and Liddell last night

it was milquetoast reporting. Frankly, zero interest. I actually turned the channel!

Renee is the master of the virtually pointless, leading question-- "How much will Rick Majerus's presence take SLU to a new level;? etc., etc. Of course the answer is --"wow, a LOT!"

I probably should take it easy on old Renee, since leading questions are the bread and butter of sports "analysis" interviewing these days.

I wish some sports stars would answer these idiot questions in surprising or unexpected ways: "Well, Renee, his presense computes out to a 43% increase in our basketball level"; or, "Well, Renee, what precisely do you mean by his so-called "presense"?-- Are you speaking in ontological terms, or in rhetorical/cultural terms?"

Renee is about a 1 or 2 on a 10 pt. scale as an interviewer. My German shepherd could probably come up with more thoughtful questions--for a treat, that is.

renee is indeed horrible from all angles. i hadnt thought about his interviews before, but now that you bring it up, imo, it seems as if he isnt even paying attention to the answer the interviewee is giving.

a number of times i have noticed answers that begged for a follow up question and he was on to the next question which didnt have a thing to do with the last one. why not just hand the guy the list of questions and get out of the way.

that should have been frank's job and both renee and katie felts are just terrible.

as bad as knotts is, katie felts is even worse. she has no clue as to what is going on. wrong scores, wrong names, she is not there.

what is sad is that channel five was always pretty darn strong sportswise.

now it is just frank.

But he sure knew how to do his job as sports directior. When he ran that sports department they hired top notch talent. Frank C., Matt Wiener, Malcom Briggs, and Trey Wingo. I might not have liked all of their personalities, but they all knew sports and knew how to do good interviews.

I don't think I would call Malcom Briggs "top notch" talent. He was brutal.........and for that matter Mike Bush wasn't real insightful as an on-air talent. He is much better suited for the news versus sports.

I agree Rene is about as bad as it gets. I have never met him, but I have heard several times what a nice and classy guy he is so I am sure that helps him avoid criticism from any local media types.

I didn't like Bush doing sports, but you can't argue with the job he did hiring talent to work at KSDK. He also was the one person responsible for the original Sports Plus getting on the air and the large amount of people KSDK had covering multiple events of interest locally. Either you liked Malcom's way of doing sports or you didn't, but at least he knew what the hell he was talking about.

I suppose people watched for lone purpose of SLU people being on the air. But who watches the local news for sports(or any local news for that matter), it's been weeded out for years. Local news is the most negative half hour in television, and most of the time, it isn't even local. It is re-hashing a non-newsworthy national story. No thanks.

courtside said,

"I suppose people watched for lone purpose of SLU people being on the air. But who watches the local news for sports(or any local news for that matter)"

had ksdk not teased us with majerus and lisch and liddell interviews to come, i can guarantee you i would have turned the tv off as soon as the weather was done last night.

Thanks.

But I think you forget, Doc. You get to see these guys everyday. You know them personally. You talk to them. You see their practices. When they're on the news, it doesn't even interest you. Us out of towners forget what these guys look like. A newscast with Lisch and Liddell? I don't care what they say, that's big news to me.

>courtside said,

>

>"I suppose people watched for lone purpose of SLU people

>being on the air. But who watches the local news for

>sports(or any local news for that matter)"

>

>had ksdk not teased us with majerus and lisch and liddell

>interviews to come, i can guarantee you i would have turned

>the tv off as soon as the weather was done last night.

Why even watch it for weather? Does anybody really need anything more than the forecast? People can get that on the weather channel(an at times entertaining channel btw) or internet or elsewhere. Do I really need to watch the local weather person yap about doppler this and that? If I wanted that I would go to the far better Weather Channel. Tell me what it will be like tomorrow and guess for the next few days. That takes 10 seconds, and I am not waiting several minutes for that info. The rest of the news is negative. There really is little reason to watch the local news. I'd be willing to bet people watch local news have more stress in their lives than people who don't.

where i get the forcast is inconsequential. i used to be loyal to five, but lately, whichever channel i have it on prior to 10 pm gets my late news audience. i was watching 5 last night due to the saturday nite live special last night.