Thank god this week is almost over. Here's Bernie's latest...who knows if it's true...although seeing as it would be a PEFECT chance to slam Biondi and he refrains, it may be...

"Majerus is sincerely wrestling with the decision... just does not know if he is willing and committed to taking the plunge back into the coaching life....this is a grind, and he knows it, and to do it right, he has to be all in... and he doesn't want to do it unless he's all in ... and he is agonizing over this...we may be in a holding pattern for a few days; I don't think he's going to rush with a decision....he's really torn about it. I talked to one of his friends a little while ago and he told me that Majerus is fired up about SLU, but it comes down to whether he really wants to do this or not. If he turns the job down, it won't be because of SLU or Biondi. It will be because of health, age, lifestyle.

--B"

>"Majerus is sincerely wrestling with the decision... just

>does not know if he is willing and committed to taking the

>plunge back into the coaching life....this is a grind, and

>he knows it, and to do it right, he has to be all in... and

>he doesn't want to do it unless he's all in ... and he is

>agonizing over this...we may be in a holding pattern for a

>few days; I don't think he's going to rush with a

>decision....he's really torn about it. I talked to one of

>his friends a little while ago and he told me that Majerus

>is fired up about SLU, but it comes down to whether he

>really wants to do this or not. If he turns the job down, it

>won't be because of SLU or Biondi. It will be because of

>health, age, lifestyle.

>

>--B"

Is anybody surprised to hear this?

The worst thing about going after Majerus is even if you get him, he still might not be the coach for very long. If he's having this much trouble deciding, he'll probably have second thoughts after taking the job.

Majerus would be a great hire, but this is the baggage that goes with it.

- Nate

>>"Majerus is sincerely wrestling with the decision... just

>>does not know if he is willing and committed to taking the

>>plunge back into the coaching life....this is a grind, and

>>he knows it, and to do it right, he has to be all in... and

>>he doesn't want to do it unless he's all in ... and he is

>>agonizing over this...we may be in a holding pattern for a

>>few days; I don't think he's going to rush with a

>>decision....he's really torn about it. I talked to one of

>>his friends a little while ago and he told me that Majerus

>>is fired up about SLU, but it comes down to whether he

>>really wants to do this or not. If he turns the job down, it

>>won't be because of SLU or Biondi. It will be because of

>>health, age, lifestyle.

>>

>>--B"

>

>Is anybody surprised to hear this?

>

>The worst thing about going after Majerus is even if you get

>him, he still might not be the coach for very long. If he's

>having this much trouble deciding, he'll probably have

>second thoughts after taking the job.

>

>Majerus would be a great hire, but this is the baggage that

>goes with it.

>

>- Nate

Disagree.

I am actually glad to hear that because I him all in if he is here. If not, then he should not be taking this job. These days are driving us, the players, recruits, admin all crazy, but they will be worth it, if he realizes he really wants to coach again. A couple more days at this point really won't hurt the situation or program at all.

Yeah, it sure seems that way. If the same thing hadn't happened at USC, I don't really think we'd be having this discussion. But it did...and we are. We need to move on with this process. If nothing else but for our players. They need to decide if they want to remain at SLU...same with our inked recruits. It would have been one thing to take a month throughout March like everybody else. Not right now though.

Rick would put his ducks in a row if he coaches again and there would never be a question to his commitment, effort, or plan after taking any job at this point in his career...at least not from me. Sure he isn't going to coach forever...but he isn't a 20 year plan. The only way Majerus would ever leave hisnext coaching job is because of health, not second thoughts.

"It will be because of health, age, lifestyle."

All the same reasons he walked away from other jobs. If you didn't think it would come down to this . . .

Biondi did a good job of getting people to talk about something beside the firing of UB (the timing, etc.). He was catching some heat for this. So he found the biggest name he could go after, even though he only had a 15-20% (my estimation) chance of getting him.

So now everyone gets excited -- hasn't been this much talk about SLU in years.

All it does is give the search committee 2 weeks of no interruptions (and no bad press) to start looking for a coach (since there was no plan when UB was fired).

Heck, RM might even compliment Biondi when he turns him down, telling us what he was willing to give RM to make the program successful.

So SLU got their 15 minutes of fame -- OK, maybe it was 1/2 an hour.

And everybody is excited because they like to cheer for the hare (because he is the fastest guy, he loves all the attention, very photogenic). Nobody roots for the tortoise -- oh, yeah he's not in the race anymore anyways -- he got fired.

>"Majerus is sincerely wrestling with the decision... just

>does not know if he is willing and committed to taking the

>plunge back into the coaching life....this is a grind, and

>he knows it, and to do it right, he has to be all in... and

>he doesn't want to do it unless he's all in ... and he is

>agonizing over this...we may be in a holding pattern for a

>few days; I don't think he's going to rush with a

>decision....he's really torn about it. I talked to one of

>his friends a little while ago and he told me that Majerus

>is fired up about SLU, but it comes down to whether he

>really wants to do this or not. If he turns the job down, it

>won't be because of SLU or Biondi. It will be because of

>health, age, lifestyle.

>

>--B"

Have a nice conversation with Bernie Courtside? We know it was you. :o

>Rick would put his ducks in a row if he coaches again and

>there would never be a question to his commitment, effort,

>or plan after taking any job at this point in his

>career...at least not from me. Sure he isn't going to coach

>forever...but he isn't a 20 year plan. The only way Majerus

>would ever leave hisnext coaching job is because of health,

>not second thoughts.

Fair enough.

- Nate

>

>Is anybody surprised to hear this?

>

>The worst thing about going after Majerus is even if you get

>him, he still might not be the coach for very long. If he's

>having this much trouble deciding, he'll probably have

>second thoughts after taking the job.

>

>Majerus would be a great hire, but this is the baggage that

>goes with it.

>

>- Nate

well said, Nate. This whole thing is high risk, high reward. Can't blame SLU for going after him and they still may get him and it would be awesome, but they had to know the risks involved going in based on his history.

Still, if we don't hire Majerus, the next choice will still be an upgrade from what we had.

I realize this is a big decision for him and all, but LET'S GO ALREADY. It was reported by his buddy Andy Katz LAST FRIDAY that he would take the weekend to make a decision. Now he needs ANOTHER weekend. Man, I wish SLU had some bargaining power because at this point, we are in no man's land. Make a decision dude. You've had 3 years to think about this.

I doubt they are talking to any of the other options at this point, other than seeing if interested in interviewing if things fall apart.

If things fall apart, I am guessing we go the traditional hiring route of identifying 3-5 candidates, interviews, 2nd interviews etc. Probably at minimum 7 to 10 days to get plan B hired.

If Frank was right, he'd already be signed. Unless RM is taking the weekend before signing to visit the recruits, get their commitments and make a real big splash on Monday. That scenario is too good to be true, so as much as I hate to say it BM must have it right on this one.

"Who do you believe - Frank or BM"

I don't believe anybody. We've had so many conflicting reports and false hopes in the last week that I really don't think anybody knows what's goin on. I'm sure all parties are relaying what they feel is accurate information..."getting it from the horses mouth"...but the fact remains that just about everything that has been said has been unconfirmed and inaccurate. I suppose it's a fun ride and we've certainly been getting a lot of press. I'm not complaining. But I'm growing skeptical of all our "sources".