Now whose negative?

slu72

Some of us see this move as the most positive thing to happen to SLU hoops since Spoon replaced Grawer. Others dwell on the way it was done, granted it was wrong and petty. That we've dumped a good decent guy, but who was at best a mediocre coach. Get real, this is the landscape in today's coaching world. Was UB the first college coach who ever got fired by the President, or pressure from powerful alumni? See Bobby Knight, Bob Huggins, Stan Heath, the list is long. He won't be the last. Coaches are like anyone else who works in a competitive environment. They have to satisfy four groups. IN their case The Admin, Boosters/Alumni, the paying fans, and their players. Who can honestly admit they were satisfied with the results over the last five years? Even the players can't feel good about how things turned out last year and were shaping up for next season. But there is a contingent on here that sounds like they want Biondi or CL to make a mistake with the next hire, or that there is no one out there who can do better. As someone stated below, who are you a bigger fan of, UB or the University?

"But there is a contingent on here that sounds like they want Biondi or CL to make a mistake with the next hire, or that there is no one out there who can do better."

Where is this contingent? I haven't seen anybody say they want CL or Biondi to fail at the next hire. I'd love to see where people said that. Also, I don't see a whole lot of people on here arguing whether or not Brad should have been fired. That subject came and went a long time ago. If it was gonna happen, it was gonna happen...just about everybody dealt with that after the season.

No, what people are upset about is the Amatuer Hour at Grand and Lindell. We want to improve the program? Well, let's start by acting like a professional organization.

Now "whose" drinking the koolaid. The word is who's but who's counting.

I am a Billiken fan. Hopefully this hire will knock everyones socks off and the ship will not sink completely. Hopefully the administration is not busy opening up water tight compartments below the waterline.

I've seen people ask whether season ticket holders want to see another year of Brad. If we don't have a hire very soon we may be a high level highschool team next year

slu72 said,

"But there is a contingent on here that sounds like they want Biondi or CL to make a mistake with the next hire, or that there is no one out there who can do better. As someone stated below, who are you a bigger fan of, UB or the University?"

right now i am embarrassed to be a slu alumnus over the way this has been handled. yesterday i was sure that surely this wouldnt have happened as it did without a solid top coach in hand. so i remained optimistic that in the long run it could turn out.

today we are told that slu has hired a search firm to find a coach.

what? they dont know who the players are? they obviously dont have a coach in hand?

meanwhile we just lost any chance of finishing recruiting, we probably are in danger of at least losing relephorde, and anyone that doesnt think that lisch and liddell arent getting text messages from all over the country is naive.

of course i am a fan of the billikens, but i am also up to my forehead in disgust and impatience for this f'ing every five year cycle we have been in for 30 years. promises promises. you say soderberg wasnt going to take us to the promised land, i say fine, who will?

had it all been laid out perfect to oust brad on tues and hire the next john wooden on weds who steps in and soothes kevin, tommie and relephorde, hires thorpe and takes off to close the deals on the last two recruits i say applause applause.

that would have also meant that by hiring a celebrity coach that obviously slu would have agreed to fix the other needs and shortcomings. now i would be standing and cheering.

instead we know nothing and the clock is ticking. we are total buffoons.

hit a homerun biondi. NOW.

>meanwhile we just lost any chance of finishing recruiting,

>we probably are in danger of at least losing relephorde, and

>anyone that doesnt think that lisch and liddell arent

>getting text messages from all over the country is naive.

>

Enough of the TL and KL are transferring!!

If Lisch or Liddell want to transfer, they're kind of stuck. They are going into their junior years. They would have to sit out that year. That would leave them with 1 year of eligibility. What bigtime program would want to tie up a scholarship for 1 year of play? Why would someone who has a legit chance of going to the NBA (TL) want to kill his chances by sitting out a year and returning as a senior somewhere?

If they do transfer, more power to them and standing up for what they believe in. Dumb move in the long run, but its a ballsy one.

I too am embarrassed by the University's actions. The lack of integrity in the handling of this matter is appalling. Frankly, I would feel the same way if there was a superstar coach ready to to take over. Apparently, CL herself made representations to the parents of prospective recruits regarding Brad's status. All the kids in the program have been left in a bad spot and no explanation has been made to the loyal fans of the program and none is likely to be forthcoming. To answer 72's question, I've been a fan of the program for 30 years. Today, I'm not a fan of the University. I don't give a tinker's damn about the landscape of "Big Time Hoops". The school and it's administrators are supposed to stand for something. I'm afraid I now know what that is.

They better talk soon. Even if its to say that the details surrounding Soderberg's dismissal are sensitive and that is in the best interests of all parties involved not to discuss them at the present time. Because in somewhat more crude, layman's terms, we're all standing here w/ our d___s in our hands. I'd rather know that Soderberg cheated on top of other things, or that it was purely money talking, whatever, than sit here and speculate. Every day we go coachless w/ no status I'm going to care a lot less about SLU basketball, and more importantly, be a little more ashamed to be apart of SLU's community.

jmm said,

"They are going into their junior years. They would have to sit out that year. That would leave them with 1 year of eligibility."

that would only be correct if they had used a redshirt year already. both could transfer and sit out a year and still have two years of eligibility remaining.