Is anyone out there to share my pain.....????

AlumniFan

This really hurt after leading by 12 early in the 1st half. Reggie had 22 (I think), but went cold in stretches. We missed some good, open looks and then got hurt on fouls. Overall, you can say it was a good effort, and it was, but the NCAA doesn't care about good efforts, they care about wins.

I HATE LOSING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Man, we should have won that one! We shut down Brown, we shut down Plavich, and we contained Withers, but we still can't pull out the W. It didn't help that Basden (i think that was his name) had a career night against us, but we should have defended him better. We had some uncharacteristic stupid turnovers, and then we just couldn't hit an outside shot to save our lives, especially in the second half. I can't remember one made 3 in the second half. This really hurts.

Yes we could have used this one. We need to win some of these road games. We have gone from being terrible on the road the last few years to now being almost good enough. We need to take that next step and be road warriors. We gotta defend the home court and pick up 2 on the road.

This really hurts us. The team reamins on the road to play UAB. It will take a tremendous effort to get a win there. We almost have to win these next 2 road games to stay in the NCAA hunt.

Cold shooting and a bunch of TOs is a losing equation. More than 11 TOs on the road by SLU and we will almost always lose. Gotta take care of the ball.

withers and basden dominated the game. i dont know the final numbers, but they both probably had double doubles. our guards played fantastic imo. the game was probably lost in the first half when izik and frericks got their two fouls and had to sit. the momentum was gone.

foul shots were extremely uneven, but i cant say that i thought we got hosed on the fouls from the way the game played.

ian was fairly useless and his lack of foot speed really showed.

last, i thought i heard scott or frank say near the end of the game that reggie was 0-7 from the 3 pt line? normally he makes 3 of those on an average night. we win the game if he does. not blaming reggie, because he found other ways to score then. but as good of a job as our guards did on their shooters, they did the same to us.

the game was the forwards.

Despite the play of their forwards, we had these guys right where we wanted them with 2 minutes to play, down 60-58. Reggie was coming around the screen to tie the game with a jumper when Drejaj inexplicably threw the ball into a crowd of three players in the paint. Charlotte got the turnover and scored on us before our defense could get set. I know Playa feels terrible about it so I'm not going to harp on it. He'll make up for that miscue somewhere on this road trip.

i personally dont like it that he has been muzzled offensively. he looks somewhat confused compared to the old drejaj and it seems like he is making more mistakes. i say let him play his game. if they dont like his offense, play izik, but right now, drejaj isnt drejaj on the offensive end.

also, if we were being dominated by the forward position, wouldnt it have made sense to play izik to at least match up better at the other spot?

it just seems that game was lost and shouldnt have been.

Drejaj had several bad turnovers. Then there was another air ball launched from an open look. I know the guy plays defense ... but he can't guard forwards. Going small didn't help us on the defensive end and Drejaj was clearly a detriment on the offensive end. I don't get the strategy. Might coach have had a little Rich Grawer-itis yanking Izik after he dribbles the ball out of bounds in the second half and then, again, when he got beat baseline?

i agree with that, but izik was also capable of creating offense on the other end. he scored fairly easy on the few tries he actually made at the basket imo.

yeah what was with the baseline thing? does soderberg preach giving the baseline? we got beat there at least 6x. i have heard other coaches preach this before, but i have never seen the merit.

I don't think the offense - defense mutiple switches helped tonight. It breaks up the flow offensively. Izik is killing his man on the offensive end but keeps getting yanked in the second half for a defensive substitution ... but Drejaj had his own problems when we were going 3 guard ... he can't guard a large forward. Then they tried Frericks, Varner, Sloan for awhile with Sloan guarding the 3 ... but Varner got overpowered by the opposing 4. Yes, you are right, we don't have enough athletes on the floor yet but help is on the way. Here is to hoping JJ puts on another 10 pounds of muscle in the offseason. We'll need it.

1st half fouls 11-5 and they got three of theirs in the final 2-3 minutes. TF's second foul was a terrible call ... took him out of the game and they started to make the comeback. With that said we had the chance at the end and turned it over or missed an open look. TF missed another front end of a 1-1.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=240282429

per the box score, basden and withers outrebounded the entire billiken team by themselves, 22-21, and scored a combined 32 points.

sloan had 4 points and 1 rebound, izik 6 points and 1 rebound, drejaj 4 points and 1 rebound and varner 2 points and 3 rebounds. so our players matched up against their two main forwards for the whole game had 16 points and 7 rebounds. game.

>yeah what was with the baseline thing? does soderberg

>preach giving the baseline? we got beat there at least 6x.

>i have heard other coaches preach this before, but i have

>never seen the merit.

If you watch the way our guys setup on player with the ball on the wing, they shade to the middle. I can only assume some other defender is supposed to slide over and cut it off creating a two man trap against the baseline but the Charlotte bigs were strong enough to go over or through it and got lots of put backs after missing short shots.

attempts were 35 -12! i figured they were not balanced, but not that bad. and we shot 17% from the 3 line.

i am wondering how we didnt get blown out.