Isn't "holding a scholarship open" just a euphemism...

SLUDrew

for I would love to fill this additional scholarship but I can't get anyone to commit?

It really doesn't make any sense to keep that fifth scholarhip unfilled. If the goal is to maximize the remainding eligibility of Tommie and Kevin then we should be filling all available scholarships immediately and with JUCOs who can come in and contribute right away. We will still have four available in the fall for the 2008 class.

This will be the second class in a row in which we are leaving a scholarship on the table for a team that has some real depth problems. It doesn't make any sense.

Does Brad really think he is going to sign 5 in the fall?????

I don't think Soderberg has ever had a season where he has used all the scholarships. That doesn't make sense. As we've seen, kids transfer, they get hurt, they flunk out... use them all. Build depth. Create competition for playing time. Be in better position in the event somebody leaves the program.

Besides Reggie Bryant have we had any other transfers in Brad's 5 year tenure? It used to be kids would go away, decide they wanted to come home and transfer to SLU(Peewee Leonard, Jim Roder, Ted Mimlitz, Jamal Johnson). That doesn't seem to happen anymore and we're not attracing any other transfers so why hold the scholarship?

We need to use them on guys like Mitchell and see if develope them into players.

I am not a big fan of holding a schollie unless you think you have something on the back burner. That being said, Spoon used all of his schollies each year and we were stuck with some stiffs for 2-4 years. So, I can see both sides of the argument but I would agree the key should be not find yourself in that situation very often.

not a reply to cheese, but if ub can only see playing a 7 man rotation, why does he feel the need to fulfill the other available schollies? he has never filled all the available.

and on the potential bright side...in the end does this not save the U money as then they don't have to have that many female scholarships to hold upto title 9?

>not a reply to cheese, but if ub can only see playing a 7

>man rotation, why does he feel the need to fulfill the other

>available schollies? he has never filled all the available.

>

>and on the potential bright side...in the end does this not

>save the U money as then they don't have to have that many

>female scholarships to hold upto title 9?

A seven man rotation is awfully few. Some teams can get away with it but not many.

The value of holding a scholarship is the hope to sign an extra better player the following year with that scholarship than "waste it on a kid you aren't as high on in the current year...

The problem with a 7 man rotation is depth. Against the more competitive teams, even players like TL and KL need a break here and there and LSU could not afford the minutes.

Also, for practice. The more deoth of talent and of bodies, the better the practices and improvement etc...

BH, AK, LM, TL, KL, DP, AM, MR. That's 8 guys. When DB gets healthy its 9. He said he was going to give the freshman a chance to compete for a starting spot, so even if they dont get one, they will be in the rotation I would assume if he thinks they have starting potential right away.

we need a 3rd big; you can't expect anything other than BH and AK getting 20 minutes each and both are targets for teams to have them get in foul trouble; Brad says he likes teams made up of 6-5 and 6-7

players; he thinks that means run and presents matchup problems-I got that from really listening to his post game interviews-but can his staff prepare 3 different game plans-one for BH one for AK and one when neither is in the game???????

From the article in the Post today by TT it sounds as if Brad is going to restructure his offensive schemes to allow for a smaller line up - in other words not a traditional center. This tells me that he has already decided that BH is not the answer and that AK probably will get a chance to play more. The reason AK's minutes dropped as the season went on was because when he came in he had to play center and he is not a center. So eventually Brad figured that out and then had to play BH more since his scheme focused on having a center playing. This new scheme will impact LM the most - I said so last year but the failures of Horace and Obi scuttled what Brad wanted to do and he had to go back to using LM at pf. If all goes to Brad's thinking, LM will not be playing pf and will be playing at the 3. Keep your fingures crossed that he can land another pf.