Evidently coaching isn't that easy.......

Local coaching favorite and Spoon favorite , Derek Thomas at Western Illinois is finding out that being an assistant is definitely more fun than being a head coach. Last night, Western Illinois (3-16) lost 80-65 at home to the St. Ambrose Fighting Bees, a NAIA DivII school. Talking about watching who you bring in as your "buy" games!

I really liked Derek when he was here for his intensity and his efforts in recruiting. . However, I remember a lot of fans who wanted him to be selected as coach after Spoon announced he was leaving and I was totally opposed because he had no experience coaching in D1 basketball.

Let's hope, for his sake, that the problem is the team he was left with and he can do better with his own recruits. He must really be hurting right now. I hope he can turn it around.

actually it was a flight to Detroit (my family lives in MI) and I swear by Southwest from Lambert to Detroit Metro. That's how I end up with Paulding and Johnson on almost all of my flights, they're just going or coming from home - it's just a coincidence. Plus, if you want to get anywhere in MI you have to fly through Detroit. In fact, in 2003 I only flew roundtrip domestically twice.

just where do paulding and johnson come up with the money to fly home all the time? i know that is not an expensive flight, but still, considering the other expenses associated with such a trip from columbia to st louis to detroit, and both kids from the projects of detroit, how is this possible?

First of all, how do you know they fly home "all the time"? Is twice a year "all the time"? Maybe it's only once a year: at Christmas. Second, just because their families MAY be poor (I don't think you really know that they are, do you?) doesn't mean their parents can't save up a little money here and there to get their kids home for the holidays -- especially since they're on scholarship. Third, Southwest Airlines isn't all that expensive.

Not everything requires so much scrutiny or is underhanded.

According to a convicted domestic abudser they were getting bank rolled at Hearns. None the less I agree. I've actually seen people living in subsidized housing driving newer SUV's than I own. They aren't all into freelance pharmacutical sales either. Flights on Southwest are a whole lot cheaper than Escalades.