thoughts on the Brad bashing

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the article in Post where he was named Metro Player of the year. In the article it mentioned he played 12 games as freshman and then missed rest of season because of grades. Here is the article:

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...2B?OpenDocument

I hope he does qualify and gets to SIU. I think though it is understandable where Brad might not offer right away until he had a better idea about Roundtree qualifying. Good news is that it sounds like Roundtree now is working hard on his grades, in the long run this is the best thing for him.

Were Petersen and Johnson recuted BCS-type schools after leaving their original schools. Also, was Walker really recuited by BCS...maybe K-State? I can't remember.

Your list of players goes to show how rankings of high scholl players doesn't always translate in D1 success.

My point about BCS has more to do with funding and potential than RPI. Lo Romar is a good example of a guy who went to a BCS school and was able to turn things around quickly, in part due to conference stregnth and $$$.

to have a higher RPI than the schools you mentioned ;o)

As I mentioned in my other post, BCS doesn't guarantee success. It means the school has more money and TV time which helps immensely. Despite the lower RPI rankings, would you agree that every school you mentioned in your post would have a much easier time bringing in players and coaches than SLU?

Dougherty is in his first year. I don't think he's a great coach by any means but there's no way he'd leave SMU for SLU.

Was Heinrich really "heavily" recruited in the East? I seem to remember him being kind of an unkown. As I recall he went to a very small high school.

I also wasn't thinking about transfers like Waldman and Bryant, but I guess they could have gone BCS after transferring.

I dont care if he said he was interested or not. The fact that he is not a billiken makes me kinda mad. Roy I agree with you but Brad I think should of (through a third party) let his interest known more. Obiviously Chris Lowery did. If Brad had done this im sure Torres would of waited to make his decison. Im just venting because this is the type of player from st. louis that we let get away.

i understand, but i remember brad insinuating at a billiken club meeting that he had more or less made third party offers to 13 underclassmen.

the anger on this board is about roundtree going elsewhere, but for all we know roundtree might have been #8 on that list. and for all we know that is a justified ranking. we know that the likes of brandenberg, thompson, allen, john, suggs are all considered as good or better.

the whole roundtree thing reminds me of two toddlers in a room and one is playing with a kermit toy and the other picks up an elmo toy. the first kid than drops his kermit toy and trys to take the elmo toy from the other toddler just because the other toddler showed interest in elmo. kermit is a damn nice toy too!

Then so should Lowry or Painter, Quinn, Self etc ... get criticized for missing out on Tommie and Kevin. There isn't a coach in the area that wouldn't have taken them. Fact ... Brad has done a good job with local recruits. What in anyone's right mind would make them think Brad should get more than 20%-25% of the top prospects when he is recruiting against 4 other schools all with at least if not better recent basketball resume's than SLU's. Brad's problem is he can't get the decent player from outside St.Louis to come to SLU. I'd like to compare the Stl players at the other local to semi-local schools to the Stl players at SLU over the last 3-4 years.

SLU- local=DP,LM,TL,KL,AK,DM,AM,MR

non-local=BH,DB,OI,HD

the problem seems to be if you don't live locally UB can't get you to come to SLU ... which seems to back up the Brad's not a good recruiter claim. Imo it seems Brad is good at getting the player he can build a longer term relationship with ... but if he has to sell a guy he can't spend as much time getting to know, he doesn't get them.

Also imo I don't see any of our asst's as great recruiters.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I wouldn't even want Dougherty, but the point is that if a program like SMU can get a coach with previous head coaching experience at a BCS school, there is no reason SLU can't. Heck, Ricardo Patton recently wound up at Northern Illinois and Rod Barnes wound up at Georgia State. Not saying I would want those guys either, just pointing out that getting a guy who coached at a BCS school is not a crazy notion for SLU. You're making it sound like we couldn't even get a top assistant. UConn's assistant recently got hired by Quinnipiac.

UConn best asst is now at Virginia after being at DePaul. We all know the story with Duke assistant's. If you hire an assistant coach you better really research him first.

I am not happy with the last twelve months of Brad, but I will take him over Patton, Barnes, and Dougherty. Even in the 9-21 year are RPI was 24 spots higher than what Dougherty managed at SMU this year (186 compared to 206).

then you're right. SLU could hire a guy who has failed at a BCS school, like Ricardo Patton or Quinn Snyder. That's not the route I care to take. My point was that Daugherty wouldn't leave SMU for SLU, and there's no way Majerus or Tubby Smith is coming.

Quinnipiac did get the guy who was the top assistant at UCONN for 2 year. However, he was also 44 and had never been a head coach at D1. I wouldn't get too worked up about that one.

Heinrich decided to go to SLU after playing on Hughes' team at Nike camp. He was listed as the 10th - 15th best center recruit in the country at the time depending upon the publication. Both he and Baniak were disappointments at SLU relative to their rankings coming in; then again, most big men are ranked based on potential that may or may not ever be realized.

Doesn't Matt Dougherty qualify under the reject and washout category according to your definition? Same thing with Nolan Richardson. I don't see any programs beating down his door. Dan Monson was just hired at Long Beach State. You don't think SLU could attract a coach like that? You don't think SLU is a better program than SMU (200+ rpi)? Louisville's top assistant landed the Iona job. Florida's top assistant got the Marshall job. UConn's top assistant got the Quinnipiac job. Kansas top assistant got the Illinois State job. Even Mike Montgomery applied for the Illinois State job. Yet according to you, SLU couldn't even land a top assistant. Maybe you are not aware of this, but even Brad was a top assistant at a program that want to the Final Four and the other finalist (Brian Gregory) was a top assistant at Michigan State. You are out of touch with what SLU could or couldn't attract.

Thanks. That one did surprise me when I heard it. They at least got a top assistant. I wonder how well Levick knows Montgomery from her days at Stanford? I'm not sure we could get him, but it would be worth a call if this job is open. I'm not sure how much demand there is for Montgomery right now. I haven't heard his name mentioned with any of the top jobs.