Powell and Relphorde

slu72

Why wouldn't we want Powell. As I understand with a little time in the weight room he could be a 4. Is this not correct? Two 6'7" guys, one who has played pg, would not be bad. From previous Powell posts however it does sound like academics are the issue.

I would still think that Powell is a target - the problem is if he can not get his ACT score raised enough then we may run out of schollies this spring before he is able to meet the criteria. Brad certainly can not hold a schollie for him and not get the 4 players he wants to sign this spring hoping that Leon gets his ACT score.

>>then we may run out of schollies this spring before he is able to meet the criteria.<<

I would be surprised if we don't have an open scholarship at the close of the spring signing period. BTW, I'm pumped about the Relphorde get. This site has him listed in 6'7" 210.

http://washington.rivals.com/viewprospect....=2&pr_key=53222

That's a huge guard who used play point (thus I assume he has a solid handle). Also, two great things to read in the article 3Star linked to:

"Relphorde has continued to diversify his game on the basketball court over the course of the past year, and actually evolved into a defensive stopper for American Christian. A stellar student in the classroom, Relphorde will likely major in business at St. Louis. "

He plays defense and is a solid student. Awesome!

http://www.chicagohoops.com/articles1/relphordeslu.html

They are definitely two very different high school players. Relphorde is a big 2 guard(possibly could play the 3 as well) who can shoot 3's...although needs to improve elevation, etc..can use both hands to finish and put it on the floor...good court awareness and vision.....is often overshadowed by his 3 D-1 teammates because he is a "quiet" player, smart player, excellent conditioning...he isn't long, but that's okay. He won't come in and be a superstar, but will get minutes right away with SLU's current options and necessity...and after he makes the adjustment to college...his Sophomore season should be a solid player/contributor for SLU, hopefully more than that his last two seasons. Too bad he isn't getting those 10 minutes plus a game off of the bench this year, to learn and adjust or contribute. He is a solid recruit for SLU that could blossom into more after 1-2 seasons of college ball. Wish he was longer, but he has good height and strength/build for the 2 and possibly the 3. Plays against high level competition.

Tyreke Evans gets all the pub because he has a demonstrative game, big crossovers, etc.. and he is more athletic and a big time star recruit...and Anthony Glover's little brother is their undersized inside beast headed to Seton Hall...who also is a much more demonstrative player....and throw in Tarver .....a lot of players on his team.

>OK - from what you just posted about Relphorde would his

>signing have an impact on Suggs?

I would think if anything, it would have a positive impact on his decision. If Suggs is as good as people suggest, I don't think he needs to worry about playing time, etc. What he probably needs to worry about is whether or not the team he plays for is any good. So quality recruits can't hurt that.

I would agree with that. If we keep recruiting 4's as we have in the past one of the 2 can play the 4. Seriously though wouldn't a few years with those 2 at the 2 and 3 along with a yet to be named real pg be sweet.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.