Brad "sitting" on scholarships

inthelou

>I honestly think there is just a problem of getting quality

>kids to verbal. Why give a schollie to an inferior kid when

>you can sit back and wait for someone like David Johnson to

>become available.

I think people are tired of waiting until the spring and getting everyone else's leftovers.

Last year's recruiting never really panned out, I think they were looking in a lot of directions and had trouble focusing on their main targets. I still think Maguire and Knollmeyer should be solid players for us. Dixon wasn't a bad player to take a chance on with his athletic ability and a year in prep school, it just didn't work out academically for him. Other targets were several JUCO players that ended up at smaller schools with Stemler being the exception going to Indiana. I don't know if this is why Walker replaced Beane on the staff, but it seems as if the JUCOs we are looking at this year are of better quality.

I tried to remember some of the kids we were recruiting last year to see what they are doing so far:

Calvin Walls JUCO now at Tulsa 23 games 13 starts, 19 min/per, 5.4 pts, 3,9 rbs & .567% FT.

Lounceny Kaba JUCO now at St Bonny, 14/0 (team played 24 games), 7.9 min, .9 pts, 1.8 rbs 1-11 FT .111%, 15 blks

George Fotso Prep now at Murray St, 9/1 (team 25 games), 10.6 min, 1.1 pts, 1.7 pts, 0-3 FT.

I can't remember the others we were recruiting, but as you can see none of these players are doing much, Walls is doing little more than what we are getting from JJ right now.

From what Brad has said recently, he plans to give all the schollies away this spring and next fall so he is not sitting on anything. Whether he gets the players he wants is another thing. I have already mentioned in another thread that he has to give at least 3 way this spring or else he won't even be able to practice next year without relying on walk ons - that is not a good thing.

I have heard him say the same thing. I agree he needs to sign at least 3 this Spring, preferably 2 JUCOs and 1 or 2 high school players. At this point, I think Brad has to realize the lack of depth hurt this team this year and it cannot happen again in the near future if he wants to keep his job.

>" I don't know if this is why Walker replaced Beane on the

>staff"

>

>Not sure what it is but the timing of Beane's resignation,

>raised eyebrows. His resignation may have impacted the fall

>siging period more than we know. If your recruited by one

>guy and suddenly he is gone......kids lose interest.

I said this when Beane left the program that he was fired. Then the school basically let him bow out gracefully and said he had other oppertunities.

After getting these early verbals, what else is a coach going to say. We decided we couldn't get some higher rated players so we offered kids we thought we could sign. If they don't work out, we will ask them to leave after a year or two in the program to free up our scholarships to do this again.

Brad hasn't waited on many kids at the top of '08 class. The question is how long will Brad wait for these top players to commit before moving on to the plan B & plan C players. I think he has to have decisions from Suggs, Brandenburg, Thompson & John before August, in order to line up Fall visits with the next set of recruits.

Actually, August might be too late. I know you can not rush these kids but Brad better have a pretty good indication from them that they are serious not just playing around or hedging. If they are putting him off while waiting on BCS schools to decide to offer then I suggest he moves on or at least gauge the chances of the kid getting a BCS offer. No more Stemler repeats can happen this time.

I am expecting big recruits coming in. After all, Coach signed nobody this past fall and said he was not going to sign anybody just to save face, which would make me think that he has a good strategy moving forward. That being said, I am expecting good recruits coming in or Brad's strategy bombed. Who those recruits will be is a mystery but for the Coach to have so many scholarships available I would have to think he'd land somebody big especially since he did sit on them this past fall.

If there are no big recruits signed, I'd hate to be Brad coaching next season because the pressure will be so high and the media will be all over him, making his job miserable.

<<>>

I wish the medium here in St. Louis (the P-D) would resume making his life miserable instead of talking about an arena that doesn't have a name yet.

Soderberg is an idiot who has no idea what he's doing. Recruiting is his #1 flaw. Show me something now, Brad. Get some news releases up on SLUBillikens.com and restore our faith.

First, Billiken fans do not wish negative press upon their team. Second, the amount of press given the Bills is insufficient but probably will not increase much without success on the court. Still, someone enlighten me about all of the press SLU is receiving regarding the new arena. Sure, it's been reported but I do not believe to be greater in proportion to the rest of their coverage. Third, would simply giving the arena a name satisfy you, Digger? Last I checked, the naming rights is decision/responsibility for CL and Fr. Biondi and not Brad and therefore does not belong in a child post about Brad being an idiot. Fourth, in response to a comment from another thread, I do not expect Fr. Biondi to provide certain level airline flights for the team but do expect him to show some greater interest in SLU sports and basketball in particular hope is working on donations with CL.

Cheese. Cannot and do not wish to debate any plan, flawed or not, when posters have no grasp of what the current or intended plan is. Ag

The arena was widely reported on when it was announced. Not much to say now other than they are building it. Would not expect anything more about it until it opens next March. My comment about a flawed recruiting plan was not meant to create a discussion - I was only pointing out that while Brad is not an idiot it still does not mean that he can not make a mistake or poor decisions.