Roy's dilemma and farewell

slu72

First, you shouldn't leave. This board is still Cheers. Actually, I think it was a lot worse a few months ago with Metzy, Phan, and others. Now, they may be posting under different monikers these days, but they've toned it down some. There's an irony at work here, Broy, the guy you support so vigorously, UB, is the guy causing the problem. I think there are two reasons that really upset the "old timer long haul Bills fans", such as Nark, Kshoe, myself, and others. One is that we see other programs doing much better with about the same or less resources than SLU. They move forward, while we stay stuck in neutral. Second, this year has been especially difficult to take, because everyone's expectations were so high. Stay and get over it. Hell, you were the guy who weathered the Too Hurricane and finally sent him packing. Of course, he's now back. There's still room here for intelligent debate, which ever side of the aisle you happen to be seated. I'm going to the A-10 tourney and would like to finally meet you, the other Kool Aid Clubbers (especially Billikan), and the ABC'ers. Come home, Broy, it's where you belong...back at Cheers.

board fan what purpose do you serve to this board, you just attack other posters and never contribute to the convirsation, same with billikenexpress, at least billiphan actually hopes the bills succeed. It would be best if you just left

...Roy has said goodbye in this post: http://www.billikens.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/d...ewmode=threaded

I have mixed emotions about this situation. I have known Roy personally for a long time, and I know that he loves and cares about SLU basketball more than anyone. I consider him a friend. I want him to come back--and fully expect him to do so--but I think a little time away might be good for both Roy and the board. By a "little time," I don't mean weeks or months, but merely a few days.

This season, the program is going through a bizarre situation in which it has toyed with big-time success and has struggled with some enormous let downs in both recruiting and performance. Different people--and different groups of people--have pointed fingers at different sources for the failures. I believe that Roy, being the most passionate of fans and posters, has been one of the more passionate in responding to these various perspectives. Unfortunately, many of these strings of debates have turned personal. While rarely has Roy been the instigator of the debate, he has often found himself in the middle of, and often participating in, the personal attacks. His recent remarks regarding Chris Lowery and Nate Latsch are prime examples. I personally have found him unfairly mischaracterizing well-stated opinions into ill-stated facts.

I think it is in the best interests of everyone if the personal attacks stop completely and immediately. I am certain Roy agrees. However, for better or for worse, Roy is a polarizing personality at the heart of many of these issues. I am not singling Roy out because he is crude, immature, or inappropriate; there are some other notable posters who need to be addressed for those reasons. Roy is simply being singled out for his volume and emotion.

I apologize, no I did not read your post but that has nothing to do with your race. I am not a racist and the good majority of my friends are black. 75% of my school is black so please do not accuse me of being a racist

Seriously, you aren't smart enough to make fun of people ... but if you are going to try, don't you think you should do it to their face, not annonymously on a message board. The fact that you think that it's cool or funny say's all that needs to be said about you.

Just find a tall building and jump.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

You maybe wondering how did B-Roy's Billiken Board Posting saved a life? Well here is the story.....

....It was March 2003 and I was attached to 3rd ID outside of An Najaf. A bird had just landed kicking up desert sand all over us as we eagerly awaited the needed water supply and first delivery of mail since the ground operations began. I waited as they opened the mail bag and heard name after name called and happy soldiers walk away with letters from home. I had previously arranged for Roy to send me highlights of the Billikenboard while I was deployed and he graciously agreed to do so being such a huge fan. So I was hoping for the news of SLU's run into the NIT. I began to walk away sullen that my name hadn't been called and I missed out on Billiken news. Just then I heard, "Lieutenant, letter for you from some guy named Roy!" from about 50 yards away. I began to sprint back to retrieve the letter and at that exact moment a mortar round landed where I had been standing. If Roy hadn't been such a huge fan and billikenboard poster I would have never gotten that letter and I could be dead right now. Roy is a true Patriot, Billiken fan and asset to the board and I owe him my life.*

*everything in the preceding message is true except for the part about the mortar round

LOL. As someone that spends much of his day creating presentations and dealing with footnote after footnote from compliance I have to applaud your excellent use of a footnote that completely changes the meaning of your post! If only there was a way to make the footnote font real small it'd be even better.

roy is a loyal fan, though misguided in many ways. I certainly have no problem with him being on the board. However, he is part of a group that regularly bullied other posters on here for years. I never had a problem with many of them until I defended V-time. Then the "regulars" complained loudly. roy also insulted my family (though later apologized). The fact that he's claiming to take a high road is a joke. Now that there seems to be some kind of voice of opposition from time to time, roy's going to take his ball and go home. Good riddance, roy.

I would have to agree about the "bullying". The guy seems to take everything so personally. He is very bitter against certain people and teams in college basketball and it's more than just fun "rivalry" stuff. It is deeply rooted. He probably needs to look himself in the mirror once in awhile. It's basketball not life and death. An Internet board is a place for different opinions and ideas, not one group shouting down anyone that disagrees with them.

I could not agree more with your post. I think we have all kissed Roy's ass enough and agree that he has done a ton for this board and is a passionate Bills fan and supporter. We are all adults here and would love to have him back so we can continue our "heated" discussions. What, the man decides to "give up" over a few bad discussions. Does he do this in the real world when things are rough.

Let's end this and get back to the things we love to talk about: basketball!!!

Holla!

if people quit bad mouthing him I would guess. I know there are a few that are acting thrilled with his decision but honestly what joy do you really find in kicking a guy when he's down? He may not even be "down" but he clearly doesn't enjoy the board like he used to. If you admit this board was his life and passion what joy would you find in driving somebody from that?

Whether he took this board too seriously or not is relative. I'm sure there is something in all of our lives we take "too seriously". The guy is passionate about the Bills as many of us are. He was equally passionate about this board as it was a chance for him to discuss his passion with other passionate fans. That being said, whether you agree or disagree with him leaving, whether you agree or disagree with him in his passion for this board, why take joy in something that was apparently a tough decision for a guy?