SIUSalukis

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sluser said,

"the right direction with ZERO recruits for next year."

how much you want to bet that we will have new players next fall?

Actually im not looking for a reason to *****. Im probably one of the most optimsitc posters on here pal. Just reading the previous posts regarding Roundtree it seemed that he was someone that could of helped. I trust Brad that he will sign players a lot better then Roundtree for 08. It just sucks seeing a high profile area kid go to SIU.

ACE, I hope you don't think I said we couldn't use him. We could. I just get sick of everybody talking about what a great player he is. He is an pretty decent ball player nothing more. Shaw, Brooks, and Buchanan were all bigger misses over the years. We never here the same bitching about them that we do about Ahearn.

probably because he would prefer the scholarships at this time for that class go to brandenburg, thompson, kramer, suggs, shropshire and john. considering how early it is in the process, who can blame him for not offering the second tier kid yet? i know i have no problem with it. if we were in october and it appeared that suggs and brandenberg were going elsewhere then i could see going to the next tier. but not this early on an underclassman.

you didnt read p diddy's note? slu did not offer him yet. apparently siu chose to offer the second tier st louis player now. imo, that is early considering the wealth of local talent that most scouts consider better. sure he might turn out to be the next brooks, but it is recognized that suggs, swopshire, soderberg, thompson, brandenberg and john are preceived to be better and i have no problem playing that out for now considering we are 10 months yet from the signing date.

>ACE, I hope you don't think I said we couldn't use him. We

>could. I just get sick of everybody talking about what a

>great player he is. He is an pretty decent ball player

>nothing more. Shaw, Brooks, and Buchanan were all bigger

>misses over the years. We never here the same bitching

>about them that we do about Ahearn.

I agree. Roy tends to be too stubborn, which undermines his credibility on some issues. He can't bring himself to admit that we could've used Ahearn. Ahearn could be averaging 30 ppg and Roy wouldn't admit that Soderberg made a mistake.

>

> for the record, brad did not offer torres roundtree a

>scholarship. your guess is as good as mine as to why not.

>

>bad boyz for life

Lowry said the key for them is to get in really early on guys and get them interested. Try to lock them up before the bigger programs come along. Perhaps Brad could do a better job at that, I don't know. I guess we'll see if Soderberg can get some early commitments from the class of 08. At least get one from Kramer. :P

i will wait until darren clarke graduates from college to see how clarke turns out. at this point it appears ahearn would have been better than clarke. but clarke has shown at utep he is not a bad player either and i think until next march we should wait and see who turns out to have been the better player.

imo, ahearn would have never had near the stats at slu that he has garnered at missouri state. his lack of defense would have likely left him on the bench his first two years (right where clarke sat and now freshmen dustin maguire sits) and then the arrival of liddell and lisch would have limited his minutes the next two years (and dont give me the third spot stuff. dwayne polk tore him apart to prove even polk is the better player).

congratulations on ahearn finding the best place (missouri state) to utilize and maximize his talents. i believe had he come to slu, he would have been right there with drew diener on the plaudits meter.

Why didn't we offer Roundtree? From what many have suggested on this board, he was A.) a player we were recruiting and B.) a player we could use and would be a "good recruit". Obviously he's good enough to play for a Top 25 team.

So why didn't we offer a 2008 recruit, when we have a trillion scholarships to give and are in dire need of, as Gordo puts it "quality in quantity"?

Brooks wanted to come here to. He was a much bigger mistake, but you never hear the constant crying. Brooks was able to carry a team. Blake is not even close to being that kind of player. Can someone please explain to me the Blake Ahearn love affair?

if brad indeed strikes out with the higher profile juniors from st louis (besides kramer), than this miss has merit. had we signed the likes of roundtree and passed on the top tier guys like suggs, brandenberg, thompson, shwopsire, john, etc, then the naysayers would have been asking how a coach who has the advantage of sitting with these top players parents every game cant even wait to see if he can win them over.

in any event, it is my opinion that lowery is wrong to have settled this early on roundtree considering there are so many top players in just st louis alone in the upcoming class. why lock this up 10 months early? why not at least give this until june to see where things are going? is he that unconfident that his top 10 rpi program cant compete for recruits? one would think he has a chance to move up instead of shooting for longshots.

dwayne polk tore him apart to prove even

>polk is the better player).

C'mon Roy. That is ridiculous. One game means nothing.

Spencer Laurie tore apart Tommie in that same game. Does that mean Spencer is a better player than Tommie?

>

>congratulations on ahearn finding the best place (missouri

>state) to utilize and maximize his talents. i believe had

>he come to slu, he would have been right there with drew

>diener on the plaudits meter.

Ahearn is the best scorer on a team that is "better than we are" and as of right now is in line for the tourney. To say he would be Drew Diener at SLU is just flat out being in denial.

i think that their is a definite division between the top tier in st louis and the second tier. at this point i am betting that soderberg thinks it is worthy to wait out thompson, brandenberg, suggs, shwopshire, john, soderberg than to drop down an notch yet. it is 10 months until signing date. they cant even ask this class to come for an official visit yet. now if it is june and the big boys above are starting to look like they are using us as their hedge bet, hey i am fine with dropping down a notch and telling the big boys "i am offering to x, y, z, now as well. first ones to commit to the 5 scholarships get them", but considering soderberg has been sitting at aau games with these parents for months he surely has a better feel for his chances than what we do at this point.

then i am in denial because i truly believe that is all he would have ever been at slu. he picked the perfect place for him to go. and imo anyone that believes he would have had the same stats here at slu are the ones in denial.

>i will wait until darren clarke graduates from college to

>see how clarke turns out. at this point it appears ahearn

>would have been better than clarke. but clarke has shown at

>utep he is not a bad player either and i think until next

>march we should wait and see who turns out to have been the

>better player.

>

>imo, ahearn would have never had near the stats at slu that

>he has garnered at missouri state. his lack of defense

>would have likely left him on the bench his first two years

>(right where clarke sat and now freshmen dustin maguire

>sits) and then the arrival of liddell and lisch would have

>limited his minutes the next two years (and dont give me the

>third spot stuff. dwayne polk tore him apart to prove even

>polk is the better player).

>

>congratulations on ahearn finding the best place (missouri

>state) to utilize and maximize his talents. i believe had

>he come to slu, he would have been right there with drew

>diener on the plaudits meter.

See what I mean.

Ahearn has been a key player on a team that has been consistently better than us during his four years. I think he could've helped us.

It's easier to teach a player defense than it is to teach them scoring ability.

we already know that kramer is likely to come as long as his dad is the coach. we have heard from frank c that suggs truly has slu high on his list. we know thompson has said that slu is his leader. shwopshire, john and brandenberg list slu on their high list. plus we know soderberg has been personally involved with all these kids and their parents for a couple of summers now at a level that no other college coach has had the chance to do.

imo, i would be more p!ssed that he gave up on them already.

scoring ability like he exhibited vs dwayne polk this year? i thought he looked like a natural in our game this year.