recruits, TL and the game

nostatic

Both Suggs and Brandenberg were at the game Saturday. UB talked to both after the game.

TL really played well the last 5 minutes. However, he had a couple of ugly turnovers and ended up sitting for a couple of minutes just before that.

The crowd really gave BH a great round of applause when he came out the last time. Good to see they appreciated it.

HUGE steal by DP and consequent layup. Big time play at that time of the game.

GW was VERY athletic and long. Their trapping defense was not easy to handle and they will beat plenty of teams before it's all over. Very hard for the Bills to run any set plays against. They did a great job of just attacking and finding the open player.

The pack defense was awesome in the second half. It was OK in the first half, but they still allowed GW some drives to the hoop. In the second half, that was all gone and so they struggled to score 23 points. KL & DP guarded Rice and Elliott -- held them to 21 pts combined (more than 10 below their average)

Also saw Kramer on Friday night -- this is a player who has gotten considerably stronger since his sophomore year. Shoots the 3 but also gets to the basket. Looks like he's getting ready for D1 basketball.

>>The pack defense was awesome in the second half.<<

I saw us show a 3-2 zone a number of times in the 2nd half. We were beat off the dribble by GW like a drum earlier. The zone cuts off the clearout for a dribble penetration 1x1. It turned GW into spotup shooters in the 2nd half and they missed when it counted most. Good adjustment by Brad.

There was a group of about 4 players wearing what looked like a team sweatsuit sitting in row 2 behind the Bills bench. Anyone know who they were?

Just curious, how can Kramer come out on the court?

From my seat across the court from the Bills bench it seemed like Brad was yelling at the team almost the entire game (when he wasn't yelling at the incompetent officials). I was thinking that that is NOT the way to impress a group of talented recruits.

Off this topic, but other threads have talked about TL's last 5 minutes of the game. I saw a player who was listless and appeared disinterested for the first 32-35 minutes. He made a very careless turnover around the 32 minute mark and Brad did something very unusual-he pulled his star player and sat him for a few minutes. My impression was that TL was none too happy, as he sat on the floor down at the end of the bench. When he was put back in he seemed like a new person--very highly motivated. Good move by BS showing that even a star has to get his head screwed on right, AND a GREAT response by Tommie when he returned.

Finally, I have not noticed much discussion of IV's play. I gotta say that this game was a good example of how some stats (points scored) can lie. On the positive side he looked like he was ready at the opening tip and his free throw shooting may have been the reason we won the game. However, how can you play as many minutes as he played and get only 3 rebounds, one of which shouldn't even count as he was glued to the floor and the ball came right to him and hit him in the chest. It was frustrating watching him stand on the floor while other players were taking a more conventional approach to rebounding---jumping. This timidness also showed in his inability to score within a foot of the basket when he was fouled. After watching him, for most of his 4 year career, do his best Matt Baniak imitation by not being aggressive enough to hold onto the ball like it means something, I guess that there is no way to motivate this player-he has played most of his minutes without any passion. I believe BH's passion while on the court is the reason that fans gave him an ovation as he left the court Sat. Keep it up Bryce and you'll continue to eat into Ian's minutes (or Ian will start playing with some emotion.)

that's good to hear. i have been one of dennis brooks' biggest bashers as i think he underutilized tommie liddell's eastside teams, however imo, east st louis should be the story of the metro area prep season this year. both the boys and the girls have done extremely well and far above what anyone outside of east st louis expected.

mitchell and sain have been superb and i am looking forward to seeing them again this week as they come to belleville friday. i think mitchell is a senior and he and lacey from alton both have been overlooked by college recruiters i think. maybe slu is in the running.

There has been a lot of bantering going about IV's play over the past few weeks. His rebounding has not been aggressive lately. To say Tommie was disinterested is a bit harsh and unfounded. You can not tell by a look a someone's face whether it is frustration or disappointment. He generally was handling the ball fine during the game - anybody can make a careless mistake - KL did it during the game as well as Polk and of course DB. He is being keyed on now more than ever and I think he just is the type of player who won't force things unless they are there. Could be more aggressive probably but he seems to get his act together when it counts.

Mitchell is a very good high school player, but I'm not sure that at 6'4 he's a wing. He gets a ton of double doubles and plays well, but I dont think he is as good as a Sanijay Watts or anything and I dont think his perimeter game is good enough to play guard, at least not for a SLU team that struggles from the outside. He could play D1 ball, but I'm not sure how he fits with SLU. Watts is a dominant player, Mitchell is good, but I wouldnt say dominant.

when i saw him very early in the year admittedly he didnt stand out and i wasnt there to watch him. he has exploded this year and carried this team to the favorite other than alton to advance from southern illinois. so i am anxious to see him friday nite and focus on him more.

Mining for hidden gems is tough. Mitchell doesn't have much experience handling the ball on the wing and doesn't shoot it well enough from the perimeter to be anything but a redshirt option at this point but he rebounds the hell out of the ball and is a decent free throw shooter. Femi John, who we've reportedly offered in the junior class, can handle the ball but doesn't rebound it well and is a horrid free throw shooter. Both can defend.

Which kid will do a better job of rounding out his game going forward? Obviously none of us can know that without knowing the internal workings of the kid but what we do know is the progress each kid has made over a year's time. Mitchell has come out of nowhere to become one of the top players in southern Illinois. John takes more shots than a year ago but he's basically the same player he was last year.

also, any idea if the guard on the eastside girls team, denisha mitchell is related? she is a show to watch. i do not know what class she is in as well. if an underclassman, might bear watching.