Soderberg on KFNS today at noon- summary

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

while they came in the same year, they were two years apart in age and class since jeffers was a juco. jeffers two years perry was actually a role player more than a difference maker and then perry stepped up the year after jeffers graduated.

of the NBA! You must be smoking crack to call him a Drejaj caliber player.

"Neither year was he anywhere near Tommie or Kevin."

His senior year he average 16 points per game, got 6 rebounds a game and shot 44% from 3-point range against stronger competition than we currently play. Jeffers was also our best defender. Those numbers look very similar to Tommie's this year.

because Tommie went to a year of prep school, some arbitrary "two good players in one class" category becomes the standard bearer for evaluating Brad's recruiting? What if Tommie had been eligible after East St. Louis, would we be hearing something as dumb as "Spoon never signed two players the same caliber as Tommie and Kevin in the same" argument?

It just doesn't make any sense to prop up the one good recruiting year Brad has had (out of 5) and say that because Spoon never signed two comparable players in one class he couldn't recruit...especially when Mo and Marquee are about the same level at TL and KL.

You spend your time on recruits who will improve your team and that you have a chance with.

So who would improve this team next year?? Players who can play immediately. Who in St. Louis do you suggest........Powell well we are recruiting him

Next is juco's..... or out of state players of Lisch caliber, perhaps undersized but would get a chance to contribute. If the Kid agrees to visit, then you have a chance.

but he did go to a prep school and slu lost their exclusive rights that tommie had committed out of high school and was open game to anyone. he blew up the summer out of high school and had amazing stats as a prep school player and it wasnt a done deal that he was going to recommit. for once give credit when credit is due.

The Brad apologists have created a completely arbitrary category called "two recruits as good as TL and KL" and said if past coaches can't meet that they aren't as good as Brad. Fine.

Believe me, if Brad could replicate his one time success with that class we wouldn't be discussing this issue but rather would be discussing seeding and Sweet 16 locations. Instead, we've got some of you on here trying to justify the NIT as a "step in the right direction".

Jeffers took a grand total of 48 3 pt attempts his whole second season. Kevin has doubled that, Tommie will probably long before the season ends, so no he is not the caliber of recruit as tommie or kevin.

My whole point is while we have no recruit this year, it is not as if Brad is the worst recruiter at SLU ever. infact one could argue he was better than Romar and Grawer, and with the exception of Hughes, who was not here for more than one year, Brad has done as well if not better than spoon. Those are the facts, you may not like them but you have to deal with them.

with you (which I don't) and said Brad was a better recruiter than Grawer, Spoon and Romar how do you reconcile the fact we have not been to the NCAA tourney in his 4 years and likely soon to be 5? In the previous 9 years before Brad took over we had been to 4 NCAA tourneys, all apparently with worse recruiting coaches. Do you think that lowly of Brad's coaching ability?

while i would have preferred the bigger step of the ncaa tourney, at this point i dont want to throw in the season because of two bad games either. and if we improve on last season, that is better than regressing. the way i look at it, we are far ahead of the pace that claggett and highmark set in there billiken careers. i believe they won 5 games as freshmen and 12 as sophomores. tommy and kevin are far ahead of that pace.

apparently that isnt good enough. you must be tremendously disappointed a lot watching your favorite sports teams.

Grawer is by far SLU's best recruiter of local talent. His group of Gray, Douglass, and Bonner was terrific, and then his last class of Claggett, Highmark, Julian Winfield, and Ryan Grant is arguably the best recruiting class in the past 30 years--even though two of them didn't finish their careers at SLU.

what I am saying is that the Bernie, Kshoe 's are saying how Bad a recruiter Brad is and I do not agree. I am not saying he is great but he is not horrible. I am also saying that the three previous coaches struggled too. They were not significantly better and one (romar) was significantly worse.

As for why has TL and KL 's team not made the NCAA.....they are young. Claggs and Highmark etc made it as juniors and seniors, Larry is in a class of his own, and had a better support cast his freshman year. Romar well he got there on the backs of spoons recruits, not his.

The year Jeffers was drafted, I believe he was the first college senior selected in the draft--every player taken ahead of him was either an underclassmen or a foreigner. That is very impressive.

Right now I am not sure TL will be drafted, and I doubt that KL will ever be.

a healthy grant that would have progressed as highmark and claggett did would have been a huge advantage to the billikens great teams when claggett and highmark were juniors and seniors, however, then you also have to wonder if they would have recruited dobbs or david robinson.

but grant was probably the best one in that class imo.

I know Roy.. but I was replying to the quote from Cheesman that there are worse facilities and budgets other then SLU's? I need to see proof of that.. It doesn't get any worse then SLU's practice facility. What ever it's called? (Ebhard Bauman) Something. I'm sure it was fine in it's day too.. And with the facilities that these other schools have.. if you don't think that affects recruiting or puts the coach's behind the 8 ball in recruiting then...

Take a tour of Mizzou arena.. and then go shoot around at SLU? Your 18 and fairly impressionable by technology and new things? There whole facility is for men's and women's bball, only. No one else uses it. They have the latest video technology, the lastest injury rehab equipment... (A small pool with a tread mill built into it under water) If I remember correctly.. only a couple NBA teams have the rehab thing...and the same video equipment.

I'm pretty sure, the security is set up with a keyless FOB thingy players can go shoot around anytime they want. They have complete access anytime....day or night.

Nah...that doesn't affect recruiting. Not at all.

Brad was on the Georgia kid before Georgia was interested. I remember the kid was basically saying all along he would like to play at Georgia but they hadn't offered or showed much interest and that is why he was looking at SLU. It sounds like he was a fallback recruit for Georgia and unfortunatly their opening came before we got him signed. I think his name was Swansey or something like that.

On Pullen, who ended up at K State, again we were on him much earlier than KSU. I seem to remember it was Dayton & SLU and maybe another school were his top choices before Huggins & KSU came in and he jumped there.

The point is, that Brad had us on a couple of good players that were in recruiting situations where we could land them. He wasn't going after players that already had big schools offering. Unfortunately both players wanted that "big time" BCS basketball that SLU could not match.

I also think that shows what Brad feels about the local senior class in the St Louis area. He had to go out of the area to find his main recruiting targets. To me that means the local area isn't offering much this recruiting season outside of Powell.