IS there a Double standard for SLU

Basketbill

we ultimately offered before mu and iu were chasing. having to play the otherside, the correct response is that when we finally offered, stemler was by then lighting it up at a legitimate rate and was beginning to get national juco attention statwise. i.e. giving campo credence he was bigtime.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, we "ultimately offered before mu and iu." That's the problem. To have a better chance of landing him, UB had to offer when MU and IU were still getting drunk off of the fall class they just landed. Ultimately offering when LS is lighting it up doesn't cut it for UB unfortuantely.

You're making my argument for me i think. UB waited too long. The longer he waited, the lesser the chance he had to land LS.

but moy, when campo said we should offer him, back in november, stemler had played only a few games. and hadnt distinguished any such pattern as he did as the season went along. he wasnt scoring big from day one, he was still weak reboundingwise and all we had to really go on was an embarrassing performance at bradley the year before where he ultimately ended up at the end of the bench.

i would have been pissed at that time if we offered him a scholarship at that time. at that time, most of us assumed that brown, polk, meyer, lisch and liddell were our guards and since stemler wasnt really showing any special power forward skills, there was no reason to think we needed bradley's 5th wing to come here and start.

two months later he had blown up and we offered. marquette and indiana still yet to appear on the radar. but then, campo had his ear.

Skip he is currently playing the four. He is getting a ton of looks close to the basket. He currently has his man playing off him to double down on Ian. I should hope he is making more than half of his shots. He doesn't have to break anyone down off the dribble. All of that changes when you move him to the three.

I am not ripping on him. He has done a hell of a job as an undersized four.

If Lance Stemler were here, he would play the four on defense and the three on offence. Luke Meyer would play the three on defence and the four on offense.

Didn't coach Soderberg used to create opportunities for Marque Perry and Josh Fisher (guards) to post up on offense? Are there not some players tall enough to defend the post who have reliable shoot range all the way out to 3-point territory? Stop trying to put players in a box on offense and let them get shots where they are most effective. It's okay for a player to defend one position and get his shots on offense from a spot on the floor that many observers believe "belong" to another "position."

I've been wanting Ian Vouyoukas to step out and hit some jumpers and perimeter shots when the defenses bottle him up in the middle. It would be good for him to show that ability if he wants to maximize his opportunities to get a decent look from an NBA team.

So you would start two players that would get eaten alive on defense. Luke is terrible at defending the opposing four. Stremler has seen his playing time decrease when he is not hot from the field, because he is such a liability on the other end. That would be just what this team's already horrible defense needs.

Sampson has shown the verbal means nothing to him.

Lance has his good points, but he isn't a 4, and in all probability would have less boards than Luke.

I'm still of the idea that offering when we did had nothing to do with Lance's decision. I base that on having the same amount of inside information as those that claim they have. None.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

I understand exactly where he is playing and how he is scoring. You are off base when you say he can't drive or shoot. He doesn't shoot the 3 well, but he has a nice midrange jumper, which though a bit slow is improving. He has such a good understanding of the game, he picks his spots well. He can get to the hole and he would at the 3. He is strong and uses his body and both hands well. Basketball isn't always about incredible athleticism.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

and I can tell you he would not be any better than the 5th best player on the Billikens. He is not a better overall player than Luke Meyer and he is clearly not as good as our big 3. He is very weak and plays soft. When his shot is on he can score but that is about all he brings to the table and the game last night is an example of what he brings if he is not shooting well. Poor scoring, poor rebounding and very bad defensive technique. He does seem to try on defense but he has no clue as to what he is doing.

With all of that being said, I wish that we had him on our team. he would help fill the void at the 4, particularly off the bench and he would have gotten many wide open shots with Tommie, Ian and Kevin drawing the top defensive players and sagging in the middle. If Brad did lose him because he did not make the decision fast enough then that is a judgment call that he made that turned out to be wrong. It happens to all of us but in this case we could have used an extra player who was a contributor.

sorry, can't let the luke bashing go on any longer...

that baseline jumper that he gets all the time, you might want to hop off the metric system cuz that's closer to 6 meters than 6 feet - those are 15+ foot jumpers, and he hits them as consistently as tommie or kevin.

i don't care what you say, anybody shooting better than 50% w/out the aid of the dunk is a GOOD SHOOTER.

don't get me wrong, he's maybe our 4th or 5th best shooter from 3 right now, but he's our BEST overall shooter, our 3rd overall rebounder (if not 2nd), and i can't name one play ever that he wasn't hustling.

i want a 6'9", 240 lb banger just like the rest of us, but he's not it and he's our starter at the 4, and he plays his ass off.

And I'm sorry, Brian, his form is NOT terrible and his jumper is not awful. I usually agree with the things you post, but you are way off on this. Have you seen his jumper? It is very smooth, very balanced, and very consistent.

now, if you would have said this about TL, then i would have to agree.....