IS there a Double standard for SLU

Basketbill

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If that was the starting line-up we might have ended up being the worst defensive team in the country. We would also have the worst shooting small forward in the country and add to it the fact that he can not break anyone down off the dribble. This team would be 7-12, instead of 12-7 with that line-up.

Oh it counts. I actually think our whole starting 5 defend pretty damn good...when they want to. I don't think our defensive problems have anything to do with matchups or lack of technique. It has a lot to do with hustle and desire. Just reading other teams message boards, I've seen a bunch of posts that say we look lazy on D.

We can agree to disagree, but I stand by my opinion that LM is a better player than DP. (man, it's nice to actually discuss basketball for a change)

Drew said, "IU and Marquette can afford to get involved late, we cannot. Brad knows that more than anyone."

Again if IU and Marquette came late then that makes us coming in before them. Again why does Stemler feel slighted if we moved first?

Well then don't say that the kid feels slighted when SLU was there long before those two.

I think the whole slighted thing is a crock anyway. He supposedly told his family, friends, and people at SLU the night before he was going to SLU. He woke up the next morning and he decided he wanted to go to IU. Doesn't sound like someone who felt slighted, sounds like someone who decided the pull of IU's history and the Big Ten was what they wanted.

Now if you want to say Brad didn't do a good enough sales job, then you may have a case.

I will admit that I wrong about Stemler and his impact at SLU. I had no idea that UB wouldn't develop a bench and that 2 players who I expected to get playing time would be gone. I'm sure UB thought along the same lines but you can never have enough good players.

Bottom line is that in the end, UB did miss out on this. Beggars can't be choosy.

He's also shooting 29% from 3. He only has 24 attempts and 29% isn't anything to brag about, but it is silly to say that he would be the worst shooting 3 in the country. He's also shooting 80% at the FT line.

I don't care where he is shooting from and how ugly it looks (no, i haven't seen his shot, i have to listen to the games as i'm not in St. louis), at a 51% clip, i'll take it.

I will take his shooting all day at the four. He will not get the same kind of shots at the three. His outside shooting has been poor and his jumper has looked paticularly awful this season. His form is terrible. That is why it matters where he is taking his shots.

I think he would say he missed out on Stemler. Not that he blew it, which imo he didn't. He waited to long is just a stupid argument since the same people who claim that also claim he was the first to offer ... so waiting too long couldn't have been an issue, Indiana waited even longer. And that is if we even beleive the people "in the know" on the matter. Which I don't.

He missed out on Stemler ... I wish he didn't and we had him today.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

"He waited to long is just a stupid argument since the same people who claim that also claim he was the first to offer ... so waiting too long couldn't have been an issue, Indiana waited even longer."

Why is it a stupid argument? If we offer when no other major universities are in the picture, then our chances of landing LS are greater than offering first, but when other major universities are interested. We waited too long because other schools had the opportunity to come sniffing.

If he can't shoot from the outside and he can't beat anyone off the dribble ... he must utilize the same basketball god to help his shots go in the basket as Ian uses to direct the rebounds into his hands while he is napping.

Actually his shot though not perfect is quicker than last year and starts out higher. He still releases slow, but much better. Luke could get to the hole at the 3, because he is smart. He picks his spots and knows how to use his body.

drew, we did offer stemler a scholarship. before any other major program. my sources say only kent state offered before slu. we offered before marquette or indiana had even seen him play. in fact, sampson didnt even see him play until the national juco tourney.

the problem was not soderberg. the problem was his juco coach advisor, steve campo campaigning against us and continuously whispering in his ear how bigtime he was and slu wasnt.

if he wanted to come to slu he could have. and offering any sooner wouldnt have changed the course of events as his verbal obviously wouldnt have mattered to sampson who would have still come running and campo would have advised to take it.

soderberg screwed up on shaw vs grimes. the stemler thing was all stemler and his "advisors". and karma is karma. if as it appears deandre thomas signs with indiana, next year stemler is a bench player. too bad. because i agree he would have played ahead of polk and been a steady performer this year for the billikens and gave us the depth we wanted.

brian, i know you are a polk supporter. and when the right situation dictates, polk is fantastic. but since we have started the a-10 schedule and our opponents have slowed the pace and typically start bigger guards, polk has been our weakest starter imo.

i too would have moved luke to wing and played stemler and sat polk.

while he shut down burrell in the first half, he was lit up in the second half vs lavendar and basically let xu back in the game.

moy, i assume you are talking about stemler when you say "LM" in your previous posts.

the only thing you have to remember is who won the stemler sweepstakes? sampson. the same man that has ignored verbals like the plague before and since. it wouldnt have mattered one bit that stemler accepted a verbal early on, sampson wouldnt have let that detour him and stemler would have let his advisors talk him into "bigtime" indiana.

if stemler wanted to come to slu, we still offered before everyone else. so there was no reason to "feel slighted". we were there first.

moy you arent making any sense. if we offered first and when it was only possible for stemler to verbal and not legally sign a binding LOI, what is the difference if we offered november or january? the offer and acceptance would have been worth the same and just as binding. worthless considering the end players. and that is exactly what happened. we offered early, indiana didnt even offer until the signing period started.

"what is the difference if we offered november or january?"

I'm assuming in November that LS didn't have MU and IU chasing him and MU and IU are less likely to chase LS if LM had already committed to go elsewhere. Therefore, we had a greater chance of landing LS if we offer in November as opposed to January because there is a greater likelihood that LS verbals to SLU. That's what i'm saying. I think that makes plenty of sense.

Sure, that's not going to stop Sampson-like coaches from coming in and failing to respect the verbal. But, it's a cost-benefit, if LS had verbally committed to SLU, Sampson is less likely to try to steal LS.

brian said apparently about luke meyer vs dwayne polk:

"We would also have the worst shooting small forward in the country and add to it the fact that he can not break anyone down off the dribble."

brian that is just a ridiculous statement. first off, it isnt like polk is reggie miller from the three line. he is shooting only 31% from the 3 and meyer is very close behind with 29%. overall shooting meyer is far better at 51% vs polk's 40%. and if you want to say something to the effect meyer gets all his scores going to the basket, well that would contradict the "break anyone down off the dribble" comment. the truth is, we have seen meyer do just that, where he drives to the basket and scores. polk might beat someone with a cross over, but then he just pulls it out because he doesnt have the strength or size to finish.

i like polk on the break, but he kills us in half court play which is where meyer excels. and it appears all the teams are gonna make us play that way hereforward.

>is Stemmler is not the savior that Bernie, Slaten and many

>ohter think that he is. But they portray him as such when

>they Critique soderberg. But the fact is that he is a

>solid player that would have helped, but was unlikely to be

>an impact player on this team. Sure I would have liked him

>to be on the team, but from what I have seen of his playing

>at IU, he would not have beat out Luke.

It's the media's job to overstate and blow things up to be larger. But people are crazy to suggest Stemler wouldn't have an impact on this team. He's an impact player on a top 25 team. What makes anybody think he wouldn't have an impact on us is beyond me.

Anyways, we've claimed that depth is our #1 issue. With that in mind, adding a player like Stemler not only gives us a solid player at the 4 (which we sorely lack), it directly addresses our depth issues. Instead of Danny being the first guard off the bench, it's Dwayne and so on.