Officials: Brian Dorsey, Joe DeMayo, Mike Roberts

We sure don't get many calls at home. A guy who sits near me--and has reffed a lot of games in his life said to me near the end--"I never criticize the refs because I know how hard a job it is but these guys tonight are really bad". I sure thought they made a lot of very questionalbe calls.

My favorite bookend calls were in the second half. Kevin got whistled for an offensive charge when he pulled a spin move on Daniels in the lane - right, a 195 pound guard will knock down a BIG PF like that! - and two plays later, Daniels power butts Brown out of the lane during a break and gets the blocking call, before he receives the entry pass.

I do wish Liddell and Meyer could pick up some flop acting moves from Daniels. If they are going to be guarding some rugged paint players in conference play, they need to chisel some cheap fouls when the opportunity presents itself.

was demayo the ancient one?

all i know is the other two refs were afraid of the old guy. 3 different times the whistle was blown and then that ref would look at the old guy and let him make the (wrong) call.

also, i noticed at least 5 times where the old guy wasnt going to blow the whistle until he saw that the shot didnt go in or the player fell when in fact he should have blown the whistle regardless.

if we never see the ancient guy again i would be happy.

Yea, they were terrible, but they were terrible both ways. There wasn't a bias so this is a stupid discussion. They blew calls on both ends, didn't call that one blatent travel on RI at the end of the game but they also called some phantom calls on RI for hand checks and other BS like that. The only thing you can ask for is consistancy, and they were (albiet consistantly bad).

Seriously, stop with the refs. You and allen iverson can discuss the merits of officiating over high tea on your own time. Its embaressing to see the same people on here bashing the refs every game.

when they are as consistently bad as they have been since we joined the a-10 why isnt that a valid discussion topic? i agree they are bad both ways, how does that make it any better of a game to watch?

I think we all agree that they were bad both ways. But what bugs me is the lack of attention to detail this league has. Why can't they find better officals for league games?

I knew we were in bad shape last night when one of the really early out of bounds calls went our way and it was obviously wrong. (I bet the guy has never been yelled at by a fan who supports the team that got the benefit of the call...he must have been confused)

From today's blog:

"Odd scene in the interview room after the game when Rhode Island’s SID abruptly ended coach Jim Baron’s session.

"Baron was commenting on what he termed SLU’s physical play and said “They get away with a lot too, to be honest.†After another question on the topic, the SID, who might have been afraid that Baron was getting close to slamming the refs, declared, “Last question,†and took Baron out of the room. Or maybe the team bus was leaving.

"Stray fact: Over the past two seasons, SLU is 5-0 with Mike Roberts, one of the refs on Wednesday night, working their game. They’re 3-1 with Joe Demayo. Not sure what that means, but there it is.'

And from a few days ago:

"Years ago, I used to cover the WCC, which plays games on Thursday and Saturday or Friday and Saturday, depending on the home sites. (For instance, since there were two teams in the Los Angeles area, visiting schools would play Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine on Friday and Saturday. If you had to play Portland and Gonzaga, which involved some travel, you would play Thursday and Saturday.) The WCC didn’t pay its officials very much per game, but on Friday nights, a night when the Ivy League is the only other conference in action, the WCC got the pick of refs on the West Coast. Guys who worked NCAA finals would be picking up some extra money doing a San Diego-St. Mary’s game. But on Saturday, they were all somewhere else. The Pac 10 paid more. The Big West paid more. The WAC paid more. So the WCC got the least desirable officials. You would see bizarre things in WCC games on Saturday, so much so that it became a catch phrase around the league. There would be an inexplicable call - I once saw a ref give the ball out of bounds to the team he had called the foul on - and everyone would roll their eyes and say, 'Saturday night in the WCC.' So I guess my point is, I’m immune to bad officiating in the A-10. I will say there was an out of bounds call that went to SLU that was pretty obviously wrong. The refs may be bad, but I don’t think they’re biased."

My note: The A-10 refs are clearly paid even less than the WCC refs. They're flat-out awful.

I actually think the WCC refs have improved a bit. The Pac 10 is the land of the touch foul, finesse game. And teams get big time homered in places like UCLA's Pauley Pavilion and Cal's Haas Pavilion, the latter of which is legendary for home cooking. Our Billikens in the past have been served some "California cuisine" at both of those venues.

The WCC switched last year to primarily Saturday and Monday night games, as the WCC is now sharing the 9:00 Pacific part of Big Monday on ESPN. Many do not like those Monday night games.

By the way, Randy Bennett's St. Mary's Gaels host Gonzaga in an already sold-out (3,500) game on Monday night. Gonzaga plays first at Santa Clara on Saturday night.