It's Only Three Games, But....

HoosierPal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Barry play several times when he was with the New York Nets. He was automatic from the stripe. His technique is different than you'd expect as you have to have large enough hands to grip the ball from the front side and not the back. Years ago I watched a video he made about his technique and went to the gym to try it out. It made all the sense in the world as there are fewer moving parts to the motion. When he played, it hadn't been that many years since there had been a number of players in high school, college, and the league shooting them underhanded.

I was always a good FT shooter, in HS I shot over 90%.  Sadly that was the only thing I was good at.  I shot underhanded at least once every time my father came to a game.  I tried to teach it to teammates who struggled from the line but no takers.  You don't need large hands to be effective.  I didn't have particularly large hands and I was good at it.

Malcolm Gladwell has a cool podcast on Wilt's struggles with free throws and attempting to shoot underhand on his revisionist history program.  It is a good listen.

• 2 weeks later...

On 11/20/2016 at 9:05 AM, The Wiz said:

Rule 5 ..Art 12...A try is over when the thrown ball touches the floor.....No basket

Rule 5 Article 2 clearly states a shot is good if the ball goes through the rim from above so I would say a bounced ball is good and actual trained refs agree (as video above points out).  The issue with a "try" ending by hitting the floor no doubt impacts fouls, timekeeping, whether 2 or 3 points, and goal-tending calls; that is, you could not claim your bounce pass was a shot in order to get a goal-tending call.

The following was allowed as a 3 pointer but I think with the bounce it should have been a two-pointer because of Article 12.