Serious question: Who do I write to ask the band to stop playing the Gator Chomp?

BillikenLaw

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blasters from the Masters:

http://youtu.be/KpbiQH91fis

Theme from Jaws

http://youtu.be/ZvCI-gNK_y4?t=36s

Gator Chomp (theme from Jaws with a flourish on the end)http://youtu.be/DFoBNOCptEE?t=29s

Different songs and I only went to one home game this year but I think our band plays both

I dunno about the Jaws theme, but I do know they do the Gator Chomp to "Blasters from the Masters," and it needs to stop.

It just needs to stop.

You can't stop the students from doing it. You could tell all of them not to, and as soon as one starts, everyone would join in. Such is the nature of cheers.

The power to nip this unforgivably bad practice rests with the band. I don't understand why they can't just pick a different thirty-second song. "Blasters From the Masters" can't be the only song that fits in a thirty-second timeout.

Have to use it Tuesday, 'cause the Gators will be in columbia.

Guess who`s coming for dinner! Gator bait?

Can I make one request to the band? Please do not chant "overrated" when we play VCU on Tuesday. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered the band starting that chant both vs New Mexico and vs Butler. In my opinion, the overrated chant puts down your own team just as much as it puts down the opposing team.

Can I make one request to the band? Please do not chant "overrated" when we play VCU on Tuesday. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought I remembered the band starting that chant both vs New Mexico and vs Butler. In my opinion, the overrated chant puts down your own team just as much as it puts down the opposing team.

Are you really analyzing the words to a routine upset chant???

It is a F*&% basketball game. Chant whatever you want that is even halfway mocking our opponents.

Sorry, we don't have any room for you.

Box - I've seen section 118 from a distance. Two words comes to mind; Quiet & Sober. Backhand would much rather stay in 108 where he can continue to mentor the entire section, however, he couldn't buy multiple tickes together there. Backhand built 108 into the premier fan zone, it is a hot ticket.

Box - I've seen section 118 from a distance. Two words comes to mind; Quiet & Sober. Backhand would much rather stay in 108 where he can continue to mentor the entire section, however, he couldn't buy multiple tickes together there. Backhand built 108 into the premier fan zone, it is a hot ticket.

Loser Missery > No Show Backhand. What a great mentor, thanks!

Furthermore, that song will NOT, I repeat, will NOT be out of our repertoire any time soon. "Why not?" you may ask. Because it is a "filler" song. Basically, if it's near the end of a full timeout, or a 30 second timeout, we need these "filler" songs to play. If we didn't have these songs, gameday staff would play "canned" music, and sorry, but we like our playing time. B)

Yes, and I imagine everyone can play it instantly on command without having to flip a page. And canned music should be forbidden forever at Chaifetz:

"I love the fans and the college students. I like the alumni association deal. I like the rah-rah and all that. I like the band rather than that fabricated music. I like the fact that we have students that are cheerleaders that really care, as opposed to a dancing girl team of hired mercenaries."

[RM in The Sporting News, 11/10/2000 on why he preferred college ball]

Call me a troll all you want, since I rarely post but read the board all the time. This might be my favorite thread of all time. Soooooo many things that I want to comment about... For starters, we (I'm a band member) don't hate playing "blasters", but we hate what happens in the student section and with the cheerleaders as soon as that first note resonates. That video of the VCU band is phenomenal....reminded me of when I went to Memphis for our conference tourney the last year of CUSA, and walking down the street, one of our guys jumped in with the house band that was playing at some jazz club and brought down the house. I wasn't there for AC last year, but I heard great stories about us playing on the boardwalk. I saw pictures. I also heard that one school didn't have a band, and recruited us to be their band, and not a single member had any hesitation before saying "yes". So yeah, that VCU video is good, but our brass line, head to head, wins every day. "Birdland", "Sing, Sing, Sing", "Uptight", or "Big Noise"...we win. Also glad to hear that people like the new additions that we've brought in this year. "Runaway" is probably my personal favorite from this year, but I think Avtr (Brian) has it confused with "Ain't nothing wrong with that" as far as the sax section doing the dance routine. We *just* got the music for "everybody talks", which is probably going to be a big band/crowd favorite, but with only a few games left, and the fact that we don't rehearse once the season starts, it is, unfortunately, on the back burner until next year. As far as getting the band to play something more/less, all you have to do is stick around after the game, watch us play our three or four songs, and then go up to Mike, and tell him your opinion. They call us the world's greatest pep band for a reason, and they call him the world's greatest director for a reason. Trust me, he takes feedback from the fans WAY more seriously than he takes feedback from us. The fan feedback is why we play "Sweet Caroline" after every win, despite the fact that it's a UNC song, traditionally, and the fan feedback is why we play "Living on a prayer" late in the second half if it's a close game. Trust me, you guys have almost as much influence on our playlist as we do, and there are a lot more of you. So, getting back to the start...if you want us to stop playing "blasters from the masters", start telling Mike, in person. He'll listen.

Yes, and I imagine everyone can play it instantly on command without having to flip a page. And canned music should be forbidden forever at Chaifetz:

"I love the fans and the college students. I like the alumni association deal. I like the rah-rah and all that. I like the band rather than that fabricated music. I like the fact that we have students that are cheerleaders that really care, as opposed to a dancing girl team of hired mercenaries."

[RM in The Sporting News, 11/10/2000 on why he preferred college ball]

I prefer the band music too, but can't they play a different "filler" song? It would really be worth it just so that we aren't sponsoring the Gator Chomp at our home games.

ereeves, could you tell mike to play sing sing sing at a point there likely wont be an interruption for the billikens running out or something else. the last few times that has indeed happened. very frustrating for true music fans everywhere. :)