"Most unexplainable sports story"

ACE

That's how Randy Karraker just described SLU's decision to go into the A-10. The casual, local bball fans universally don't get this. If there were good reasons for going into the A-10, SLU has done a terrible job of communicating it to the public.

Karraker is an idiot. It's one thing when Johnny Doe who works in Accounting doesn't get it, but when a person whose profession is in local sports can't remember what happened in the A-10 the year SLU made the decision, is just unbelievable. The year the decision was made, two A-10 teams made the Elite eight!!!! It's easy to now suggest it was wrong based on the past two years, but to not understand the idea of when the decision was made is just plain dumb.

"I can't understand why nobody bought Microsoft stock in the mid-80s."

it has been communicated. they just refuse to listen. they all think of two things, first geography and second where they are now and not where they were at the time of the decision.

but the positives still out weigh the negatives imo even with the hindsight.

i remember once ramsey and earl austin painstakingly running through the reasoning with blockhead mike clayborne. even after laying it all out, clayborne's first response was "i still dont get it. think how close all those valley schools are". then ramsey pointed out that historically the valley schools have not brought in additional attendance and that the slu contingent do not travel for the most part to out of town games, and clayborne said but think how close all those schools are. idiots doesnt even come close. and now that the valley has surpassed the a-10 on the court they are all really coming out of the woodwork again.

>sorry but knowledge of NFL and what it takes to win is

>limited too. I mean the rejoicing over the Rams winning

>their last three games against the Raider (the worst team in

>the NFL), 'skins, and Vike's is laughable.

I'd agree with that somewhat. The Blues have always had loyal supporters forever and never did anything in the playoffs for decades. It isn't the people's fault Laurie stripped the team at time of canceled play...etc...and tix cost $80 a pop...Blues fans have proven themselves over the years. They have still never done anything in playoffs, not even making a conference final since the first couple of seasons of existence in late 60's 70.

Football...I don't get it. My only explanation could be that the modern day fan is different and demands more even in loyal St. Louis...and having bad ownership, then nothing, then winning quickly perhaps added to this. Not sure. Rams have WORST marketing in the league. Going to a Rams game...has been like going to SLU basketball game in past years...Could we please stop the 70's music. It is sad really...listening to These Boots were made for walking when they show the cheerlears....Constant commercials and advertising...money grubbing misers. At timeouts, and there are plenty...how about instead of a commercial, some pumped up 21st century music? The half time shows are pathetic. The marketing around town is awful. Now they will actually have to work for their fans for once.

With that said...the two biggest things I do not understand in sports...why people get so excited for the free t-shirt launch...even at SLU games, it is the loudest fans are at games, truly comedy. And people who leave early...at least twice in 8 games, people who left early missed amazing football entertainment in Seattle and Washington games. BTW, they leave early too in New York when Giants get crushed...don't let anyone tell you different. And Bears fans? Please when they were losing twice a year for a decade plus to Brett Favre...it was like going to a Packer home game in Chicago.

I think the notion Rams fans are bad is way out of control...team needs to market itself better to the fans, have a much better atmosphere at games...they are cheap...they won't even pay to improve the scoreboard, or change the seat color of TWA red. Cheap.

St. Louis imo is a pro sports town...Rams have been well supported. No, it isn't a 20 year wait list for tix like some other towns...but it has been well supported.

College sportws however are an after thought in St. Louis.

>i remember once ramsey and earl austin painstakingly

>running through the reasoning with blockhead mike clayborne.

> even after laying it all out, clayborne's first response

>was "i still dont get it. think how close all those valley

>schools are". then ramsey pointed out that historically the

>valley schools have not brought in additional attendance

>and that the slu contingent do not travel for the most part

>to out of town games, and clayborne said but think how close

>all those schools are. idiots doesnt even come close. and

>now that the valley has surpassed the a-10 on the court they

>are all really coming out of the woodwork again.

More name calling and anger, with different people each time.

1. I am not even 100% sure who Randy Karraker is. If he is someone important in St. Louis, he has done a poor job of communicating his importance.

2. I don't know that SLU owes anyone an explanation, justification, etc. for their conference selection. Might be smart if they took it upon themselves to do so, and I have heard the explanation over and over, but they certainly do not owe the general populace any explanation.

3. For a SLU fan, alumnus, student, supporter, etc. who takes the time to attend athletic oriented events where Cheryl, Shimmy, or Brad are present, they have most likely heard the A10 pitch plenty of times. Joe in accounting (love that reference) probably doesn't care and hasn't taken the time to find out so why should SLU care (I'm sure Joe is a nice guy, but I don't know him either ;-) .....).

4. The real "Most unexplainable sports story" is why so many people who really have virtually no interest in SLU have such a hard time with SLU's conference selection. I don't know if it is just more SLU bashing or what, but what's with the obsession????

5. 10-3 ain't bad.

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

Karraker does occasionally pay attention to SLU sports. When he was the MOX and we were there too he was on our bandwagon.

Now Miklasz and Karraker may discuss SLU for 5 minutes a week. SLU is a running joke on 550. Ramsey and Frank are the only people who pay any attention to us on 590 other than to belittle SLu, ala Tiger Tim and Slaten.

This won't change until we win consistently. It would also help if SLU ever decided to actually market themselves to basketball fans and to the local media. Expect the same until these things happen or we hire another Spoonhour who gives out funny quotes every 2 seconds.