Senior project for someone in the Blue Crew

bonwich

See if the athletic department will give you game films. (TiVo or otherwise record them when you can.)

Document the number of flagrant officiating errors in each game. Send copies to the A-10 head of officiating, the opposing team's conference's head of officiating and the NCAA officiating department.

Perhaps some of these guys will then find themselves in other jobs in upcoming seasons.

(For a change, no one can raise the "sour grapes" charge, because we've actually been winning some of the games where the officials have been so abysmal. But is it too much to ask that they be minimally competent?)

The heavy set guy was the worst. Obviously this was an SEC crew, if it was ours we are in big trouble. That one guy made bad call after bad call and just stood there while we got raped on the court. For me Soderberg did not give them half of what they deserved. Ian did give the one ref an earful a couple time.

>See if the athletic department will give you game films.

>(TiVo or otherwise record them when you can.)

>

>Document the number of flagrant officiating errors in each

>game. Send copies to the A-10 head of officiating, the

>opposing team's conference's head of officiating and the

>NCAA officiating department.

>

>Perhaps some of these guys will then find themselves in

>other jobs in upcoming seasons.

>

>(For a change, no one can raise the "sour grapes" charge,

>because we've actually been winning some of the games where

>the officials have been so abysmal. But is it too much to

>ask that they be minimally competent?)

In related news, Bonwich, I need for you to pick up my dry cleaning.

For those in attendance, with all the bad calls, did Brad ever get heated and challenge the refs??

Bad calls happen in every game, but so far this season, Brad has sat his butt on the bench and taken it. Personally, I'd like to see more fire out of him like in the early Brad days.

But anyway, was he up arguing? Sounded like the crowd was into it.

> you are kidding?

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

No, not at all. It wasn't one sided either way, it was consistent, and other than a few calls at most, I thought they did well. Officiating cost SLU nothing in this game.

Sorry, but you missed that game. 2 charges and a block from Ian all shown again on the video ... the mugging a Polk mentioned above ... that is quick just off the top of my head.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

> Sorry, but you missed that game. 2 charges and a block

>from Ian all shown again on the video ... the mugging a Polk

>mentioned above ... that is quick just off the top of my

>head.

>

>

> Official Billikens.com sponsor of H

>Waldman

>

>Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would

>have helped club.

Only one replay was shown on the board in first half, a complaint of mine. I thought IV's block late in game looked clean. I agree with that one. You mentioned just a couple of plays...the same couple of plays others are talking about over a 40 minute game.....Like I said, I thought the officiating was a non-factor most definitely in this game, for reasons above. ....name many games where you or a lot on the board don't get upset at the officiating? I understand some are like that. But I have my opinion, and I can say without hesitation, that the officiating was fine. Plenty of times I will rip an official(Tim Higgins, Ed Hightower) generally not favorites of mine but when they do well or poorly or in between I will notice and judge individually each game. No official will get 100% calls correct. Today's officiating was very solid imo. I was content with it. You can hold a different opinion, that's fine.

I definately hold a different opinion. They showed 2 replays of charges and the block by Ian. The mugging of Polk ... right in an officials face, I'm not sure how you miss that unless you intentionally miss it, because there is not any way in the world you can tell me anyone didn't think it was a foul. How about the play where the Miss guy literally threw someone (I don't remember who, but I'm sure someone can help) no call. I think I have the game Tivo'd ... I'll watch it again, maybe I'll change my mind and see that they missed just as many against us to even out ... which would still make it a horribly officiated game, just equally horrible.

I really think that should have an official sit in the empty seat next to me. Clearly they could get a better view.

Fair enough, we will agree to disagree. I thought much of the post play was well called, the block shots vs fouls called well, didn't call Polk for the transisiton carry late...but called one each way to emphasize the point to both teams. Officials seemed to correctly confer on out of bounds plays under basket and sides, to get the right call. ...etc...People seem to be upset about the same two calls, and somehow that escalates I suppose in their opinion...or maybe it is just the thought of tiny DP being triple teamed by much bigger players...and that is one that will standout with emotions of the local fans at the game. And it didn't help that SLU once again struggled in full court trapping pressure. I think if emotions are left out of it...tough for many to do, I was very satisfied with the officiating. I don't think ANY SLU fan can say SLU got jobbed in this game and had to overcome the officiating and Ole Miss...imo that would clearly not be an honest assessment of the game. In short, they were fine.

I'd accept consistency. SShoe's observation notwithstanding, if Tommie gets blocked when there's massive body contact and there's no call, then there's no way in hell that when Ian gets all ball with absolutely minimal contact, he gets called for a foul.

I believe the Mississippi guy literally threw Luke to the floor with no call.

There were at least 6-8 other hideous calls or no-calls against us.

And yes, calls went both ways. I think they had a no call on us when the Mississippi guy went for a layup and got fouled; I'd also love to see the replay on Tommie's dunk, because it looked like he did an NBA hop-and-skip four-step.

Nonetheless, you don't call ticky-tack hand-checks and then turn around and ignore at least 3-4 instances of full-body contact (Dwayne, Tommie, Ian). I respectfully disagree with Courtside's opinion -- that was abominable officiating today.

As for Brad, I thought he dished it out to the various refs with just the right emotion -- he could have been called for a T if he went much further, but he managed to restrain his overly demonstrative behavior, while at the same time managing to illustrate his case on several of the calls and non-calls.

How about the hip check on KL when he went in for the lay-up which would have nearly iced the game in the last minute. He ended up several feet out of bounds after the "clean block".

And by the way, how did all 3 of them miss the time IV airballed a free throw and they didn't call it. No offense to anyone, but that meets the definition of incompentence.

Unfortunately, they were like most crews, no consistency, called junk on the perimeter and allowed a mugging inside.

That was a terribly officiated game and is was strongly slanted towards Miss. Is perhaps your obesession with being "objective" slanting your view towards that game?

As crazy and loud as I get at the games when it comes to yelling at the refs in almost all games there will be a few plays where I laugh or mumble to those near me that we caught a break. I honestly can't remember one such play during that game that wasn't some ticky tack fould that didn't effect the game.

A ref calling a cheap hand check foul on Miss early in the 2nd half is hardly equivalent to the absolute b.s. block foul on Ian in the 2nd half that gave him his 4th foul and made Bryce come in the game.

cut it out ... that's twice in a week. People are going to start talking.

I do have to say I like watching you guys go nuts, at least I know I'm not the only fool in the place

That was absolutely ridiculous officiating today. The thing that really got me was how their coach was CONSTANTLY on the court...he stood next to the refs 6 feet away from his seat on the court and they didn't do anything. If Soderberg was out that far on the court, they'd give him a technical real quick. I finally understand the reasoning behind those baby-leashes. Think we could FedEx one to their coach? Tie the other end of his chair?

I sit very close to the court with a whole bunch of long time fans and we all commented that it was one of the worst officiated games we had seen at home in a long time and how amazing it is that when we go on the road we get nothing but home court calls yet here at home we never seem to get those kinds of games. Are you a regular official at games?

Officiating just plain SUCKED! That is the most I have yelled at the refs in my life. Just plain horrible. One of the Ole Miss fans by me must have said three or four times that SLU was getting screwed. When the opponent's fans see it, it has to be bad.

Bigger question: Why does the ticket office insist on surrounding me with opposing fans every game? I must have been very bad in a previous life....

"A strong man stands up for himself; a stronger man stands up for others." - Ben

You don't like Hightower? The finest ref I've seen in 25 years of watching ball. I pattern my own refereeing after him.

These guys were attrocious. They let the game get out of hand. No team reached 10 fouls in a half. Ian was hacked everytime he touched the ball. Usually he didn't get it as he was too busy with the wrestling matches he had to endure down low. The game agaisnt UNC and this were terrible. If you watch what goes on when a player tries to post up with his defender hanging on his back, wrapping arms around arms and think that is basketball you are way off. That may be the reality of the game especially with big name players who can get away with it but that is not how the game should be played. Watch ESPN Classic games, 10 years ago this type of stuff wasn't going on. SEC, Big 10, and Big East refs never call it especially in non conference games.

I counted 3 times where the refs called the ball out of bounds instead of obvious fouls on both sides. The Rebel "trapping" that gave us fits was pretty much ole miss guys standing on our heels and each grabbing an arm.

I'm not saying the refs had a huge effect on the outcome of the game, I just think they were horrible. The way they call it doesn't allow the best "basketball" playing team to always win games. Until they call it that way I will always be upset at them.

Coaches tend to get Ted up for all the hand jabbing, jumping up and down rather than yelling at officials. Soderberg learned a few years back you can yell all you want as long as you keep personal attacks out and not Ted up as long as you don't throw chairs or or suit coat on the floor. He jawed at the refs enough for me today. Ian did too.

Kennedy must think he is Pitino or something and can piss on the refs shoe and still not be given a tech. That standing on the court for that possession with a minute left was outrageous and he should have been at least reprimanded for it, but the refs did nothing.

SEC ref's ... I'm almost of the mind to say f... you if we use your ref's at your place, we use ours at ours ... or UNC and Ole Miss can kiss my a$$.