Status of Obi and HD

Neither one looked like they were going to contribute much. Obi seemed like he had the talent, but lacked motivation. I don't know much about HD. If this news is true it is unfortunate, but it doesn't hurt SLU much. Knollmeyer is clearly the big man of the future and he has shown flashes that he can be good in the future this year as only a freshman. I'd imagine if this is true Knollmeyer and Husak will get more minutes from here on out especially if JJ continues to be unreliable. I really think Husak should get more PT so that he can develop more and possibly take over for IV next year with Knollmeyer taking over at PF and Luke becoming the 6th man. Bryce is freaking 7 feet tall. I doubt many A-10 teams have guys within 2 inches of that. The fact that he is so tall alone should give him some advantage and make him not as much of a liablility on the court, right? Another consequence of this news is true is that Brad is going to have to recruit more big men to come next year (Leon Powell) and in the future (John Brandenburg, Bret Thompson, Tyler Griffey).

Think about this from a recruiting standpoint. First of all we have three scholarships for '07 that we have available and 5 for '08. Now we have 5 for each class, even if my math is wrong it is not by much but that still leaves us with 5 for '07, and I will tell you that spring recruits don't normally pan out and the closer you get to the school year the lower the chances of those players panning out are. This puts SLU in a huge hole. Let's just hope they can get out of it.

We have no bigs coming in and we are still looking for a big to start right away and that is something that is going to hurt us. Yes I am one of the few in the minority that thinks we should have offered Harrelson. He is a player and his upside is tremendous and he wanted to go to SLU. I know the staff is working hard to get it done, I just wish we could get some light at the end of the tunnell long before we get to the end of the tunnell.

Probably anticipating the new product launch of UB's sparkling springtime recruit kool aid drink. This is pitiful...I'm sorry. Not to rain on this season in any way, but face it our recruiting is down right pathetic. We take the dregs and now even they get flushed down the toilet. As so many have told us ABC'ers, at least give them a chance...it looks like they didn't even want one themselves. Obi is especially disappointing. A year and a half of rehab, and he wasn't committed enought to stay away from Big Macs or work out. He should have been told to hit the bricks when he came in overweight and out of shape. Hello, you're not winning crap if the recruits aren't seriously committed to making the sacrifices to play at this level.

hardball, your apparent joy of this happening is really sad. these two young men apparently didnt hold up their end of the bargain in the classroom and now have to start over somewhere else. that is the real negative. sure it hurts slu basketball, but i feel terrible about the opportunity they just screwed up academically.

that said, what was coach soderberg supposed to do? did you want him to take their tests and go to class for them?

And what have I been saying all this time, people?

That Brad spends more time shooting --- Lou Fusz commercials -- than he does traveling to Compton/South Central or Brooklyn or even Carbondale for Christ sake to recruit some 6'9 banger/Tyrus Thomas type who can jump out of the gym, ball for 40 minutes and squeak out a 2.0 GPA. We don't need area players. We can't get the good ones, so why bother??????????????? We need thug athletes who can compete against the UNCs or Xaviers of the world. We don't have that. The Post wastes their time writing "aw shucks" articles about Luke Meyer when they need to be writing how SLU's recruiting is worse than the St. Louis Police Department's. Our budget is atrocious, our coaching staff has no confidence (or balls), and we get the bottom of the barrel players that probably wouldn't start at Fontbonne.

That's not our fault, roy.

We, as an academic institution, did not fail them.

They failed on their own accord.

Roy, have you ever been fired from a job or pressured out? Did your bosses ever tell you, "ah, Roy, you're a good guy, you just need a fresh start somewhere else. Keep us posted on your progress, why don't ya."

NO. They just showed you the door. We showed Obi and Ho. Dixon the door, and quite frankly, I'm glad they're gone. Ho. Dixon, the "Savior of Billiken Basketball," had more splinters in his ass than Chris Duncan will have this year.

No need to take a Hardball post seriously, Roy. Once he said he was looking foward to a UNC loss, he really lost any sort of credibility as a SLU fan...at least from me. No need to respond.

That being said, it's unfortunate. However, I don't really expect much of a response from the board since these guys were never going to contribute anyway. Shouldn't everybody be pretty happy about this?

arv said, "recruit some 6'9 banger/Tyrus Thomas type who can jump out of the gym, ball for 40 minutes and squeak out a 2.0 GPA."

congratulations, you just described horace dixon who didnt make it academically at slu.

>And what have I been saying all this time, people?

>

>That Brad spends more time shooting --- Lou Fusz commercials

>-- than he does traveling to Compton/South Central or

>Brooklyn or even Carbondale for Christ sake to recruit some

>6'9 banger/Tyrus Thomas type who can jump out of the gym,

>ball for 40 minutes and squeak out a 2.0 GPA. We don't need

>area players. We can't get the good ones, so why

>bother??????????????? We need thug athletes who can compete

>against the UNCs or Xaviers of the world. We don't have

>that. The Post wastes their time writing "aw shucks"

>articles about Luke Meyer when they need to be writing how

>SLU's recruiting is worse than the St. Louis Police

>Department's. Our budget is atrocious, our coaching staff

>has no confidence (or balls), and we get the bottom of the

>barrel players that probably wouldn't start at Fontbonne.

"Thug athletes" please explain. Lisch, Meyer, Polk, Liddell aren't good area athletes. Also you can get area athletes if you offer guys that wanted to come like Harrellson. Brad has offered a LOT of area kids in 2008, Suggs, Brandenburg, Thompson, John, just to name a few. 08 is loaded. If there was ever a year to build locally, that's the class to do it. That's the measuring stick for Brad. 04 and 05 classes were very good. 06 and 7 look horrible. 06 can still be salvaged if AK can start at the 5 at some point and Dustin can just hit open shots. That will make the class solid. IMO 07 will not be solid unless Brad lands Leon Powell. He needs to offer Sam Pearson too. Rolandis Woodland could be a kid to look at too. He's at Harmony Prep playing alongside Alex Tyus right now and will now be a 2008 recruit for both football and basketball.

i never said slu failed them. i am just saying that there should be no joy for this happening. and in particular, while i totally agree it is the students fault, i still feel bad that they missed their opportunity for a quality education.

I had heard whispers of this information and was not going to post anything about the situation until it became official. However, SLU never really announced Obi's first suspension. Did anyone notice that he was not at the UNC game? This may have been discussed, but I did not remember hearing it or reading it on here. I will not say anything more until it is announced, but I had been critical of these two in September and took a lot of heat for it.

Seriously, this is a disaster. Even though these two were "projects" anyway, they were the best shot we had at developing a decent interior for the next couple of seasons. At least Horace was pretty athletic (there aren't many Tyrus Thomas types around, ARV) and Obi appeared to have a nice touch. Now we're going to be into the spring recruiting period and we'll be going after more Obi/Horace types to bring in as "projects". This sets us back at least a year in development and that is if we even get someone in the spring period and pretty much guarantees a complete void on the inside for the two biggest years of KL and TL's careers at SLU, which in my opinion are the two biggest years in SLU bball in a long time. If we let those two graduate without having maximum success b/c we couldn't give them a post presence, it's hard for me to be optimistic about our ability to bring in any recruits. Forget this great class of '08 in St. Louis as far as I'm concerned because I have no confidence we can get his son much less Suggs or Brandenburg.

P.S. Be alarmed by this because I am generally positive and supportive of Coach Soderberg. Striking out on 2 straight classes that were crucial to the building of a legitimate NCAA contender year in and year out is inexcusable.

Sad -

This is sad for everyone involved. However, from what I understand there is more to OI's situation than just academics and relate to character isssues as well.

I posted about hearing rumors of HD's dismissal a week ago, but my comments were deleted...

As far as a previous posters opinion that Soderberg should now bring in a "thug" - and regarding his rip on the Meyer article, THE GUY MUST BE A FOOL!

As I stated in my post in the LM thread, perhaps those that want to follow a NBA minor league program, and those 1 or 2 and done type players that flock there in pursuit of the big pay day, should visit the Memphis or Cincy boards.

Once again the Staus Quo Brigade tries to define my thoughts on SLU basketball. For the record, I never said I wanted SLU to loose against UNC but rather predicted the embarrassing outcome. Well we were embarrassed and scored in the 40's again. Our bench players that we have been asked to give patience and be positive about ended up playing one minute in a 21 PT blow out. Now two additional players get asked to leave the team. So my original question is where are all the Kool-Aid drinkers now? Remember all the names and inuendo's that were thrown about at anyone who dared to question this staff's program direction or recruiting failures. Now how do the Kool-Aid drinkers feel about our annual spring signings and having no 2006 fall committments?

I have been talking about this staffs recruiting for months and all I have ever heard from the Kool-Aid drinkers was "focus on THIS YEAR" and "oh what a great team we are going to have THIS YEAR". SLU's team right now is a house of cards waiting to fall if something isn't done about their recruiting. How anyone thinks a local kid from the stacked 2008 class would want to sign up for a trip on this ship is overdosing on the blue juice.

Finally, BRoy I don't feel any sense of happiness for the loss of OBI or HD. They wasted a great opportunity given to them by a great academic institution but I think it is fair to judge whomever saw value in them but not Stemler or Shaw.

I agree, Roy. It is sad that these young men wasted an opportunity. I disagree with the posters that would somehow find fault with Brad over this matter. It's simply a matter of basketball Darwinism. It's to be expected that kids will leave a program for a variety of reasons. A program that tries to compete while maintaing some degree of academic integrity can reasonably anticipate that some kids will be winnowed out. This is not to say that SLU is the only institution that has academic standards or maintains high expectations of student atheletes. While I agree that it puts us in a recruiting hole, all is not lost. Calm down, folks. These guys weren't contributing to this team and our on court success this year, or lack thereof, will say far more about the programs health and Brad's ability to fill those holes than these two kids flunking out.

I had heard this information from a reliable source a week ago. He had told me that it was a possibility that this could end up happening and did not say it was definitive, but grades have probably been received by now and the decisions would have been made by now since they are gearing up for the second half of the season. I did not even realize that Obi was serving a suspension at that point, but had been doing so since the SIU game apparently.