Think we have some idiots and haters on here?

brianstl

from a poster on that board -

"NIT team for sure, with chance at NCAA if they can win both games this week and dominate their conference, and have a top 50 RPI"

the poster is not a "hater", per se, but hayzeus crease-tay are we looking for a #1 bid in the tournament or just a bid???

if we won both of these games and dominated the conference, we'd be looking at a #5 or #6 seed at lowest, am i wrong?

>from a poster on that board -

>

>"NIT team for sure, with chance at NCAA if they can win both

>games this week and dominate their conference, and have a

>top 50 RPI"

>

>the poster is not a "hater", per se, but hayzeus crease-tay

>are we looking for a #1 bid in the tournament or just a

>bid???

>

>if we won both of these games and dominated the conference,

>we'd be looking at a #5 or #6 seed at lowest, am i wrong?

Off of the top of my head, yes you would be wrong. The conference is that bad this year. If SLU beats Mo St only...and finishes say 3rd or 4th in conference instead of 1-2, getting in at all..tough at best. If beat both UNC and MO St and finish top 50 RPI...and dominate conference...they'd get in...but I'd say 8 seed at best. Why? Conference RPI won't help a lot. Some power conference 4-5 place teams will get better seeds than SLU.

I find that post legit in the other thread. SLU is NIT/NCAA bubble team. How many teams will go from A-10? one, two? That poster said if SLU wins both and dominates conference i.e. going 1-2 in league and finishing top 50 RPI, they get in. 5 or 6 seed would be a dream.

Fair enough, now that I think about it, the A&M loss is devastating enough as far as getting a "high" tourney bid. I'm just thinking that 2 wins this week gets us close to top 30, and dominating conference to me is 2-3 losses and winning the conference tourney, which would raise us at least a few spots to the top 25.

I went brain dead earlier as well, a 5-6 bid at the "lowest" was meant to be "best". I think it's all highly speculative, there is no way I would bet on us winning both games, but here's hoping, and yeah, I'll go w/ your analysis. Top 50 RPI is a no-brainer to me though, if we win those games.

I think you are wrong if you take the original poster literally. He said if we beat UNC and Missouri St. Lets say that happens. We'd likely leap to a top 25 RPI ranking (if not higher) and a top 30 ranking in the polls (if not higher). Then he said "dominate" the A-10. To me that sounds like 14-2 or so. I realize the A-10 is down this year (believe me I've bemoaned it many a times on this board) but 14-2 would not hurt us when you factor in we play Xavier and Dayton twice. Lets finish off the scenario and say we go 1-1 vs. Miss and Houston. We'd be sitting at 25-5 with wins over Miss. St. UNC, Loyola and many of the quality teams in the A-10. Our RPI would be in the 20s and poll ranking would certainly be in the top 25. I think we'd be looking at a 5 or 6 seed.

I'm not saying any of that happens but if it did we'd get a very nice seed.

"They said they only have one goal, they want to get into the NCAA Tournament. I asked them if it would be a failure if they didn't, and they said yes it would be a failure if they didn't do it."

Brad Soderberg - 12/16/06

What you are not taking into consideration are games vs the likes of the Bonnies, LaSalle and Rhode Island etc...and the 200's RPI...and watch SLU's RPI fall after wins. I think it will come down to SLU finishing 1-2 in confeence even if it doesn't win confeence tourney. But even finishing 3rd would be bad for SLU. SLU should roll through their conference, but conference road games are tough anywhere. You never know. If SLU finished 3rd in conference, and didn't win conference turney, they aren't dancing. That is 3rd in a conference of 14. No slip ups, no mistakes. SLU has scheduled better non-conference, but their conference is down even more this year to help offset some of that. It is way too early to follow RPI. SLU is doing what they are supposed to do so far, and we will see how it goes. Getting i is one thing...getting a really good seed is not likely under most circumstances...and who cares, people just want in.

I still think even if that happened, SLU would not get a seed much better than 8...fair or unfair. I think a bigger conference school with slightly worse RPI etc...leapfrogs them in seeding. A school with zero big time wins in 2007? Just don't see the seeding. Is this team capable of going 14-2 or so in the league, sure. I think it will split this week. We'll see.

I hope you are right about the splitting part.

I think the committee is generally fair to teams from smaller conferences if they played a difficult non-conference schedule like we will after these final 4 games. I'm thinking of Memphis, Gonzaga recently, St. Joes a few years ago etc. when I say that. I think the committee is very tough on small conference teams when the play garbage non-conference schedules like the one GW played last year.

"They said they only have one goal, they want to get into the NCAA Tournament. I asked them if it would be a failure if they didn't, and they said yes it would be a failure if they didn't do it."

If we win both these (which of course is a serious if) and finish

25-5 overall we are higher than an 8. Probably 5 or 6. the win over UNC will speak volumes to the committee and will have an affect on our seeding. With the success of the mid majors of late, I think you will see some better seeding for them and leagues like ours (which imo at this point is a mid major)

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Holy crap. Skip and I 100% agree on something. No qualifiers or anything.

courtside, i doubt if the billikens win both of the games this week and finish in the top 2 in the conference that the billikens rpi is only top 50. it is that high now without the benefit of the unc and mo st games.

my guess is the scenario you describe (both wins and a second place finish in the conference) would have an ending rpi of around 25-30. that would mean an 8 seed at worst not best.

i am not saying that is what is going to happen, just trying to rationalize your thinking. to stay the same in the rpi as they are now with those two big wins and a second place conference finish would undoubtedly be a higher finish.

your more negative than usual attitude is noted. not sure what has crawled in, but you are sure down on this team considering how well things have went so far.

sure there are no fantastic terrific wins to date, but on the other hand, there are no bad losses either. the best start in almost 10 years has merit. a win tonite makes the best start since 94. i hope you come around soon.

I'm changing my mind then. Are you in town for the game? You guys will have to be extra loud. I have had a cold for the last week and am hoarse from coughing. I don't know how much I can yell.

I'm here for the next three home games. Its on.

>courtside, i doubt if the billikens win both of the games

>this week and finish in the top 2 in the conference that the

>billikens rpi is only top 50. it is that high now without

>the benefit of the unc and mo st games.

>

>my guess is the scenario you describe (both wins and a

>second place finish in the conference) would have an ending

>rpi of around 25-30. that would mean an 8 seed at worst not

>best.

>

>i am not saying that is what is going to happen, just trying

>to rationalize your thinking. to stay the same in the rpi

>as they are now with those two big wins and a second place

>conference finish would undoubtedly be a higher finish.

>

>your more negative than usual attitude is noted. not sure

>what has crawled in, but you are sure down on this team

>considering how well things have went so far.

>

>sure there are no fantastic terrific wins to date, but on

>the other hand, there are no bad losses either. the best

>start in almost 10 years has merit. a win tonite makes the

>best start since 94. i hope you come around soon.

Not sure where you are coming from? Someone said SLU would get a 5-6 seed if they won both this week and finished top 2 in conference. I merely said that there is imo a good possibility SLU could drop a couple of seeds from that and be overlooked and a large school 4-5 team would possibly slide into that spot and bump them down a spot or two. How is that a reflection on SLU? It is a refelction on their conference this year(a conference I support) I never said that would only get them in the top 50. The NCAA doesn't seed in exact order of RPI.

How else am I down on the team? Read the threads. If anything I am one of few who don't go crazy negative when SLU doesn't play well in close wins to lesser teams. A win is a win to me, and a good thing. I do however refuse to do jumpingjacks with a win over UT-Martin. I am well aware every school in the country plays these games to help win totals. And I am fine with that. I am neither positive nor negative with those games. I expect wins in those games and move on. I credited SLU's win over Loyola, and picked them to win tonight's game, something I haven't seen from anyone else on the board. I have repeatedly said SLU has done fine so far...not great imo and surely not poorly. They are right at expectations so far. I don't get too carried away by wins or losses...especially so far. The Texas A&M debockle didn't see see me fly off of the wall in that non-competitive loss. SLU hasn't yet done anything to make me think they have exceeded my expectations nor let me down at this point.

I think you should start with a number of other posters before you reach me. You are also a blue kool-aid poster who doesn't like it when anyone objectively debates anything regarding SLU. And you cannot objectively debate on the other area schools as well without clouding your post's reasoning with animosity toward said school(s). As you said, no big wins, no bad losses, and my temperment relfects that. Steady is the course, not too negative, and not over the top gushing either. If you want me to be gushing because it is the best start in 10 years...maybe my standards and yours differ. Even with this best start, SLU is not a definite NCAA team yet. Has a good chance...but that is what everyone is looking for. I have been very patient of the coach, and the time it takes to build a winner, especially with one year of D-1 head coaching experience coming in....despite perhaps my different philisophical view of coaching.

I will agree with Courtside ... I don't think he is down on the BIlls at all, like he said, he is just not gushing over where we are. From reading his posts for a few years, I think that is his style. He tries to be objective and doesn't let his feelings get involved. I don't always agree and we have been back and forth over a few things ... but I respect what he posts. He also is one of the ones that still see the A10 as the best move overall for SLU, and that is because he looks at the big picture, not just the ups and downs of a game or 2. Or in the instance of the conference ... a season or 2.

Courtside ... I will be in the Billiken Club around 6:30. Absolut Citron on the rocks. Please have it waiting for me.

other than the f'ing by missouri state last year, give me an example of an under 25 rpi team that got an 8 seed or lower.