Tonights Crowd

brianstl

its going to be a disapointing crowd, size wise. I just checked on ticket master and plenty of lower level seats are available in the 114 and 113 sections. This game does not appear to have struck the fancy of the casual basketball fan in St. Louis.

"They said they only have one goal, they want to get into the NCAA Tournament. I asked them if it would be a failure if they didn't, and they said yes it would be a failure if they didn't do it."

Brad Soderberg - 12/16/06

this game should have billed as the real bragging rights game the missouri state championship for months. if nothing else you create a buzz from the hardcore mi$$ouri fans that will die before admitting such and that would sell tix. as the game got closer and it was obvious that both slu and missouri state were having nice season it should have been easy to build on it. surely they could have gotten someone to write about it before today.

i also saw in tommie timmie's column this morning that there actually are tickets remaining for the north carolina game via buying a multi game package. has anyone seen this "package deal" advertised? the hook of the deal is the north carolina game that is only 4 days away and they arent even using that?

Roy,

I couldn't agree with you more. The SLU men's team is off to the best start in recent memory, with our two biggest games of the season, yet there are no advertisements for the multi-game deals. This is the perfect opportunity to hook the casual fan in and there is no advertising!

There is a definite buzz about the UNC game around the SLU campus as I visited on Saturday, and of course, the marketing department has failed to capitilize to the larger st. louis market. This is something I've been frustrated with for along time. I couldn't agree with you more

Contrary to what some might think - this game between SMS and SLU has never garnered a big crowd. I have pointed this out several times in the past as the reason why I would just as soon see teams from other parts of the country that we normally would not play - ok to play one of the the two (SMS or SIUC each year). The crowds almost always end up about the same for this game as for those. For whatever the reason, SMS does not travel well and actually neither does SIUC for that matter. I am not sure what the issue is with the UNC game and the ticket packages but I think it was advertised earlier as part of the season tix packages SLU did. Anybody know how many seats remain for that game?

how can this be? i have heard time and time again how much the mvc travels to games and thus a huge reason why we should have joined the mvc instead of the a-10. this is very disturbing news.

Roy, just because somebody post something does not mean it is a fact. Truth is none of the Valley teams we have played over the years has traveled well. I would love to see a crowd of 10K but more likely in the 8K range is my guess. The local kids who go to SMS are not big bb fans - that school's fans are from Springfield. Same thing when SIUC comes to town.