Great Win!

Box and Won

It's always nice to pick up a W on the road, especially after being down 11 at the half. I'll sleep a lot better tonight.

Rammer and Earl both mentioned that there was a good-sized Billiken contingent in the stands - Rammer said that someone came up to him and rattled off a list of our prior debacles in California. Could that have been someone from this board? :)

I couldn't get the online feed, so I had to listen. For those who saw the game, did Brown do anything productive tonight? It sounded like he played horribly. Sounded like JJ and Knollmeyer had some decent moments coming off the bench though.

first post, long-time follower...

brown played like a zombie, but liddell and ian really brought it... we ordered the game from CSTV, anyone who's seen other broadcasts - are the camera angles and sound always that horrible?

and how hard is it to say vouyoukas? vouyouskas, vouyskouskas, vouygouksas... i kept waiting to hear vaginakiss from their moron announcers...

looking forward to these next 4 at home

Re the Rammer statement, it was yours truly. We had about 15-20 Billiken supporters sitting behind the SLU bench. Rammer and Earl turned around and recognized us after the game. So I went down and talked to them. I was so excited to see the Billikens win one out here. I also got to congratulate Coach Soderberg after the game.

It was good to see Alameda Bob. And a former Billiken player from 1960 from Fresno was in the group. He played against Oscar Robertson.

This was a good win. Any road win is important. SLU played much better defense in the second half. As Al McGuire often said, games are won and lost at the beginning of the second half, and tonight was no exception.

I was impressed with most of the players. Vouyoukas was flat out dominant inside at both ends, recording a double double. I noticed at least one scout, the former St. Mary's coach, in attendance. There may have been more. IV looked to be in pretty good shape. He can score with both hands. UOP had no answer for him, except for the refs calling two ticky tack "offensive fouls" on IV in the second half. That was fully expected in advance.

Lisch is ice, just an excellent ballplayer. I was hoping UOP would foul him at crunch time because I knew he would make the free throws.

Liddell has big time talent. Polk is faster, but Liddell has the moves and cross-over. Polk is a good ballhawk defender. Liddell had a great block. Polk hit a couple of shots, as did Luke Meyer. Luke hustles and gets the loose balls.

Only Danny Brown had a tough shooting night. But hopefully that slump will be a short one because SLU needs him too.

I have high, high hopes for this team. Winning a game during finals 2,000 miles away from home with the time change cannot be discounted, even if UOP is down this year. That place was loud at crunch time, and SLU came through.

JJ played a strong game too. He had 6 rebounds and played tough defense. And he was hustling too.

The halftime show was interesting with the magician and the women changing clothes.

bay area, it is neat to read your comments after your first up close and personal view of the billikens.

just curious, from your view, who guarded steffon johnson in the game? was it the same billiken the second half from the first? the first half i was tired of hearing his name, in the second half we didnt hear it. someone stepped up. imo whomever guarded johnson the second half won the game, however i guess whomever guarded him the first half put us behind the eight ball or was johnson just that good?

that in the missouri state game, brad puts lisch on ahearn from the opening second. my fear is that he will try to let polk guard him and blake will bomb away upfront.

hopefully brad will realize this is a nice opportunity to shut out the kid that has made his life miserable amongst the second guessers.

While I think Lisch would totally shut down Ahearn, I think Polk would to a good job to. Polk would do an excellent job at denying BA the ball and not let him get good looks. BA is not great at creating his own shot. Polk is excellent at avoiding the screens that MSU will use to try to get him open looks.