Valient Effort

aj_arete

Admittedly, I've been stubborn in my assertion of the Bills' lack of talent. However, I must admit to being impressed with their latest string of games. While I recognize the brilliance of Soderberg and the fantastic defense they play, I've underestimated Fisher, Frericks and Ohanon.

Now that we've seen the Bills play three straight solid road games, I'm beginning to revise my assessment of this team. Bryant and Fisher have shown the ability to penetrate and drive off the dribble. Then you have the improved interior play of Frericks and Ohanon in the post and you have the ingredients to win on the road. Who knows this might be the best team in Missouri and who would have thought that? Though, I predict an upset win of Syracuse Monday night now that McKinney is at his natural 2 guard position.

I'm probably speaking more from the heart than the head. Cuse's 2-3 zone is tailormade to frustrate Quin's team. However, I'm hoping Pulley proves me wrong and plays a sound floor game that involves feeding the post, while limiting the turnovers. He didn't impress me today, but I'm hoping he'll get his act together on Big Monday.

Sorry AJ, Pulley is a joke and will not make them a better team.

Also, as long as you are admitting underestimating SLU players, admit that you underestimated Reggie Bryant as well. 25 points again tonight, the Bills haven't had a scorer like him in a long time.

I was only going on second-hand information with him. I was concerned because a previous coach said that Bryant couldn't play defense, which Brad confirmed. However, I did underestimate the value of Brad's teachings which has gradually improved Bryant's defense over the course of the year.

reggie has long since passed erwin claggett on all time billikens list to compare his game to. after that drive to the basket last night, he is approaching justin love or maurice jeffers game imo. he isnt as strong as justin or close to the leaper mo was, but he is a better shooter than either by far. and both justin and maurice were good shooters. bryant is a player. probably going to be an nba player if he continues to improve for the next year and a half. i am just baffled the villanova people let him get away.

The only thing holding him back is size. Right now, he'll have to play the point at the next level. With ballhandling skills which are much better than advertised, I think it's a possibility. He could be a Jason Terry type.

jason terry is a good description of reggie's game. thank you. i will use that as i have been racking my brain thinking of the comparison player.

aj, i tend to agree with you on "personality conflict" with reggie and villanova. he is a better player than any guard they have playing rignt how imo.

I would call Reggie a combo of Erwin and Marque ... not as much range as a shooter as Erwin had ... but better to the hole. Not as good to the hole as Marque ... but a much better shooter. This makes him very hard to stop as he can do either well.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

though he never said that Reggie couldn't dribble. He just said that Reggie was more of a spot-up shooter, but not as good off the dribble as Perry. Maybe I read too much into his comments because Marque Perry's off the dribble moves are top-shelf. But other than that, no one has questioned Reggie's ballhandling skills. I was just saying his ballhandling skills are very good, much better than anything Mizzou has.

that has Syracuse and Mizzou being in a virtual tie needs to be totally ignored. The link provided by Roy, www.kenpom.com has Syracuse ranked 27th and Mizzou 74th. Syracuse is nationally ranked and Mizzou is not.

At this time of the year, the Sagarin rankings, with all teams connected, is uncanny in predicting the outcome, and frequently the point spread. With a 4.5 point home court advantage, Missouri becomes a one point favorite in the game. It is a must win for Missouri.

I thought he was saying Syracuse and Mizzou had similar rankings, but you're talking about a point spread. Trust me if Mizzou wins, everyone will call it an upset regardless of point spreads.

and yes they can be confusing.

The pure RPI (no point spread) has SLU at 103, Mizzou at 74 and Syracuse at 27. From the same site you can find the Pomeroy rankings which only considers margin of victory/defeat. In that one SLU is 76, Mizzou is 60 and Syracuse is 38. Sagarin has SLU at 74, Mizzou at 73 and Syracuse at 44.

To call any one sight incorrect would be a mistake as they are all different. However, if I was trying to decide how much team A should be favored over team B should they play the last sight I would look at is the RPI which doesn't include margin of victory.

the great turn around jumper from the head of the key vs cincy in claggett's junior year will forever be etched in my mind as the turning point of the billikens under spoon. and yes, he had no trouble getting his own shot.

but i have not seen reggie have any trouble getting a shot either. that jab step in and then step back and pop move he uses is deadly and lets him see the rim at will as well.

if we are picking fantasy teams, i'll take reggie as my shooter over erwin.