The Return of Justin Johnson

Box and Won

i am not taking shots at ian. i expect him to do more than what he has done thus far against far far lesser talent and size.

while ian is indeed far more talented than frericks, i wish he had half the attitude of tom frericks.

if this team is going to go to the promised land, ian has to come out and dominate against the talent we have seen thus far. even the a&m inside players should not be getting the better of ian. and until he steps up to that next level, that imo is a major concern. sure we need a power forward and a third guard to contribute, but imo, thus far only liddell and lisch are playing at a level that approaches what they are capable of.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! Your Illinois colors are showing!! I think Dwayne Polk and Luke are playing very well in all aspects except their shooting. Polk has played great defense and has made some great passes. Luke is a solid all around player who has that toughness that you say you love. He will put his nose in and dive for any ball at any time. Gosh, give the guys a break!

>i am not taking shots at ian. i expect him to do more than

>what he has done thus far against far far lesser talent and

>size.

>

>while ian is indeed far more talented than frericks, i wish

>he had half the attitude of tom frericks.

>

>if this team is going to go to the promised land, ian has to

>come out and dominate against the talent we have seen thus

>far. even the a&m inside players should not be getting the

>better of ian. and until he steps up to that next level,

>that imo is a major concern. sure we need a power forward

>and a third guard to contribute, but imo, thus far only

>liddell and lisch are playing at a level that approaches

>what they are capable of.

I guess if Ian would recklessly throw his body around and rack up concussions he would be giving effort in your eyes.

Ian has worked hard at his game. While he is blessed with good hands and a decent shooting touch, he is not a great natural athlete. He's not particularly quick and doesn't have good hops. He has worked hard on his game. Just because he doesn't run around wildly, diving around like Frericks did, doesn't mean Ian isn't giving effort.

I've only seen the A&M game, and our whole team looked like high schoolers, but I thought IV was awful. Whether or not it is accurate, people HAVE mentioned him as a first round possibility and certainly an NBA prospect. I expect a lot more out of somebody of that caliber. Coach has even said it. I don't know what it is, but Ian needs to get it together. I would have expected him averaging almost 20ppg against the size teams we've played. In the A&M game he didn't look aggresive. Get aggresive and Ian dominates. I think it's that simple.

Right now Ian is playing soft and his numbers are not the true story. My comments are based on him wanting to be a #1 NBA pick and he is not anywhere close to that. Now if you want to say that his expectations are out of line then fine but he is the one who created that not us. If he wants to be a #1 NBA pick then he better play stronger than he is. By the way, where I sit is not the issue - I can see just fine. Your problem is - never mind it would be wasted.

ramsey says it constantly for one. i have heard others say it.

look, i love ian. and i am not saying he is terrible. i am saying i think he can and should do more. i want him to be that first round pick. imo that difference is a little more aggression.

and ace, that can be accomplished without concussions and such. i am surprised more dont agree with me on this.

I think he can and will play better also. I'm not sure being aggressive is the answer though. He needs to shoot a better percentage from the line and the floor. He is 22-56 from the field and 19-38 from the line

28-38 from the line = 73% plus 9 points

31-56 from the field = 55% plus 18 points for a total of 27 points into 5 games would put him at 18 ppg and 10 rbpg. You can't get those numbers without being aggresive. A better sign of his aggression would be his boards which are at 10 per game. A pretty good number. We also need to remember he has a bad finger ...

I also think shooting better will help his confidence. I agree we need Ian to play better ... just I think it is his shooting.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

You said he should make at least 50% of the shots he was fouled on. The real problem is you are wrong. No one does.

Of course your opinion of my problem would be wasted ... because it would probably be as silly as your contention that he should make at least 50% of the shots he is fouled on. It shows what little clue you actually have. You are wrong and can't admit it. NOTHING NEW THOUGH.

You also threw out some numbers 2-8 and 1-7 ... which mathmatically neither could have happenned when he only shot 12 free throw attempts in the game.

I agreed with your contention that he needs to go stronger to the rim ...

I don't know how he created expectations except by his past play. Imo ... going to the NBA camps to see where he stands and what he needs to work on to possibly play in the NBA doesn't create expectations. My expectations are based upon his current and past results.

Do you still think he should make at least 50% of the shots he is fouled on or will you admit that it was a bit out there.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

ACE stated ....."Luke had a worse shooting percentage than DP last year".

In 2005-06 DP was 38 for 116 in FGs made for a .328%

In 2005-06 LM was 33 for 101 in FGs made for a .327%

Your right there ACE, right there!

ACE, don't bother checking the 3s and FTs.... you will be disappointed.

btw, both were unsatisfactory from the field!