Shimmy/Jill

philliken

As a proud alum, I was in attendance at the ceremony on Monday. I loved the whole ceremony, but the highlight to me was the aforementioned Shimmy Gray-Miller. She was charismatic, pleasant, but above all convincing in her speech.

I was a BIG fan of Jill over the past few years, and was very sad to see her leave. Last season was a disappointment to me for the women's team (at NO fault to Gray-Miller). After hearing the passion, commitment, and dedication of Shimmy, I am now convinced that she is the coach for the women's program. She effectively convinced me (and obviously several others) that her #1 goal is to have a competitive team (given the fact she's given a 'fighting chance'). This is the kind of coach we need in all of SLU's athletics. A coach who doesn't care about rankings, statistics, or the past....one who wants to build, and WIN. My question is, do you think that she will be the future, or be responsible for the future success of the Billiken's women's basketball program?

Either way, coach Gray-Miller, if you read this....make us proud.

The Philliken

last year was far from disappointing imo. i watched the women's team three times. the billiken madness scrimmage which was almost embarrassing the women looked so bad and then an early season game vs umsl and then a later season game vs temple. the differences and tremendous improvement were very noticeable. it was obvious that shimmy is not only a great recruiter, but can coach as well. i cant wait until she gets her roster filled with her players. i would think as early as the 2007-2008 season they will be rolling and that first season in the arena might really be special for shimmy.

Anybody could be better than Jill. Shimmy has a personality and treats everybody with respect evn her coaches. I doubt Shimmy makes her graudate assistant coach get an oil change in her car and start the shower for her after practice like jill did.

GOOD FOR SHIMMY

brian.....how old are you?

Shimmy is doing a beautiful job of bringing in student-athletes with excellent high-school resumes. Hopefully, their D1 play will approach what the players accomplished at the high school level.

Let's actually wait and see how the ladies' win-loss record improves over the next few years before making a final judgement on the recruits.

I'm expecting very good things to happen.....but, only time well tell!

I am 33. She has already got committments from players(Lisch) that are rated higher than anyone I can remember the woman's program getting. She is getting visits from quality players out of the area that SLU has struggled in the past to get. She is going head to toe with Pat Summitt for one of the best players ever to come out of area.

Recruiting is always a crap shoot. But, she has given more reason than any coach to be excited about the womens team.

The womens team has been an even worse mess than the mens team was when Grawer took over.

"Shimmey's wins and losses will eventually tell the story, not early commitments"

That would tell the story of her ability to develop talent and mold it into a team. The fact that she's beating out big conference schools for players despite the lowly state of women's program already shows that she's a great recruiter.