Billiken Brick Question

Does anyone know how "points" are allocated for a Billiken Brick donation? If you donate $500 for a Brick versus $500 to the Billiken Club versus $500 generally to the athletic department are the points equally allocated?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know about the points, but I don't like the $500 fee for a brick. As a student, I wanted to donate a brick for the Arena so I could contribute to Billiken athletics and have my name on the building. The price of $500 is very steep for a student. Doing the math, that $500 would cover 33.33 cases (30 packs) of Natty Light or a students books for the semester, possibly the year if using the internet to finder cheaper books, and more then a months rent at my apartment. I was hoping the price would have been lower to give students a chance to contribute to their building.

At XU, they had a brick program similar to ours, although it wasn't connected to fundraising for the Cintas Center, it was just a general giving program.

Anyway, they allowed students and recent grads to get a brick by committing to making a small annual donation for a period of (I believe) five years. That way, they are guaranteed to receive donations that go towards their alumni giving percentages (which factor into the all-important U.S. News rankings) while making it easy for those who may not have much money to make donations.

Pretty smart, eh?

I agree. There should be a separate program for current students to buy bricks for a lower price, and make a "student section." I would have bought one without a doubt. I was one of the few who paid an extra $5 for the Billiken athletics student ID. Anyway, even as a recent alum with a job, $500 is hard to swing, but there's a number of us who would love to be able to contribute to this effort to show that there is support for the project. Sure, we aren't going to make or break the project with contributions that barely make a fraction of a percent of the important donations, but there really should be a program for the little guys.

nark, i dont remember how it all played out, but margo convinced me last year it would be better to buy a brick than contribute that money to the billiken club.

I have a question on the point system. Do you receive points based on years having season tickets and money donated? And if so, does having more points lead to having a better position for getting season tickets and a higher draft order. I know a few recent grads who have Billiken Club memberships and I was wondering how much money the membership would cost me when I graduate next year. I would really love to be able to have meetings with the coaches and the Club benefits

vouk, the point system is the only thing that will determine line order when we get to select our new seats or whenever you are trying to upgrade your current seats.

here it is copied from the billiken club page at slubillikens.com:

"The Billiken Club Priority Points System

Saint Louis University Athletics will use the Billiken Club Priority Points System to allocate priority points used to prioritize ticket purchasing privileges prior to the Current Fiscal Year. (The fiscal year begins July 1.) This is the same priority plan used for all season tickets, tournament tickets and away game tickets.

Purpose:

The purpose of the Billiken Club Priority Points System is to allocate priority points to individuals who have made the commitment to and investment in Billiken Athletics through the purchase of season tickets, Billiken Club donations and other restricted athletic financial support of Billiken Athletics.

The Point System:

Points are calculated on a per account basis. Points are non-transferable, and an existing account will carry accumulated point total into the new plan.

1 point awarded for every $50 per current active membership of Billiken Club or athletic endowment

1 point award for every $100 per restricted gift, unless given special project privilege determined by athletic administration

2 points awarded for each consecutive year of Billiken Club membership, starting July 1 of the current fiscal year, for a gift at the same or greater level

3 bonus points for increasing membership level

3 points awarded for each men's basketball season ticket purchased

1 point awarded for each season ticket purchased to men's soccer, women's soccer, women's basketball or volleyball

3 points for individual entry to any Saint Louis University Athletics golf tournament, i.e., Diamond Club Golf Tournament, Billiken Golf Classic, etc.

1 point awarded for every $100 restricted marketing and promotions cash sponsorship to Billiken Athletics

1 point awarded for every $200 restricted marketing and promotions trade sponsorship to Billiken Athletics

5 points awarded for every $1000 secured through personal solicitation or through Billiken Blitz fund-drive

2 points awarded for every new member brought into Billiken Club (member's name must appear on pledge card or donor must stipulate by whom they were solicited to join the Billiken Club)

1 point awarded per $100 dollar value of any gift-in-kind donation used by Billiken Athletics

.5 point awarded for every Billiken Club Sponsored fundraising event

20 points - One-time allocation for being SLU alum once account is established

Other Provisions

Current year Billiken Club Membership level, annual donations and restricted athletic sport support points are determined based on the year ending June 30th.

Only purchased tickets qualify for treatment as a season ticket.

Accounts credited for donations and purchasers' names must be consistent with the names of the buyer of season tickets and donor information.

The privilege to benefit from the priority points is not transferable. An exception is a surviving spouse may continue point privileges for his/her personal use only. The surviving spouse may not transfer points to any other individual.

When a large donation is made during one year, the donor may request that all Billiken Club membership and annual donation credit be spread over more than one year. For purposes of the Priority Points System, points will be awarded as if the donation were made during the year Billiken Club credit is granted.

Billiken Club members will receive priority over non Billiken Club members.

To receive benefits from the Billiken Club Priority Points System, an entity must be an active Billiken Club member."

From last year's Billiken Club points breakdown on my account donations specifically for the Arena project are getting double points - so if you gave $100 for the Arena it generates 2 BC points whereas a $100 donation to the BC will generate 1 BC point, all assuming BC membership is in place.