So who have we all offered

Jacob Pullen 6'0 PG Proviso East (IL)

Andrew Beinert 6'2 PG/SG Chaminade (NY)

Chase Simon 6'5 SG/PG Detroit Community (MI)

Jake Kelly 6'6 SG/PG Marshall (IN)

Dwight McCombs 6'7 PF Whtiney Young (IL)

Scott Suggs 6'6 SG Washington (MO)

Jared Swophsire 6'7 SF Ft. Zumwalt West (MO)

Brett Thompson 6'10 C Vienna (IL)

John Brandenburg 6'11 C Desmet (MO)

I think that ought to shut up people who insist Coach Brad Soderberg offers only the number of available scholarships. And those are just the offers we know about. There may be some we don't know about. So we know that Soderberg won't just offer one kid and then wait until that kid accepts or commits elsewhere before offering another kid.

We also see that he focuses locally when the talent locally will help him maintain a winning program, but if the local talent isn't good enough, he will look to other areas in the Midwest and even further. And this is not a change. It all falls in line with what Coach said when he got the job over four years ago; let not anyone thump his chest with the thought that public opinion has swayed him.

>I think pdiddy posted a few days ago that Powell has had an

>offer for a long time. Class 2007

I've heard different things on this.

Powell's only offer may still be from Bradley.

I think he'd be a good fit at Missouri, with the Tigers' new system, but Mizzou only has like one scholarship to give and the coaches are after some bigger fish.

- Nate

>>I think pdiddy posted a few days ago that Powell has had an

>>offer for a long time. Class 2007

>

>I've heard different things on this.

>

>Powell's only offer may still be from Bradley.

>

>I think he'd be a good fit at Missouri, with the Tigers' new

>system, but Mizzou only has like one scholarship to give and

>the coaches are after some bigger fish.

>

>- Nate

I told them the same thing in May. I cant remember which poster it was that kept saying SLU offered a long time ago, when there's an article about Powell on April 30th that said Bradley was his first offer. He said along time ago when it was late May, early June. I said he didnt, but since VTIME is always wrong they took his word for fact and ran with it. I'm sure Powell has probably gotten more offers since he started playing for Rocktown, but I dont think he has one from SLU since he really wants to go there and they waited this long to offer. Josh Harrellson has 2 division offers, and Powell is more highly regarded so he has at least as many offers.

that's seven kids from the stl who have been offered schollies and there are still many others who are being strongly looked at.

plus the five kids from the stl on next year's roster, plus AK from a nearby Linn.

I think we can put these complaints to bed about area recruiting for awhile. If none of these kids sign with slu, then it's time to pipe up again. IN the meantime, it looks like the staff is doing a pretty good job.

bad boyz for life

As far as local kids go, Soderberg and the staff pretty much want anyone of the top 8 Eagles players. If would could get a few of this kids, then we will be a much better team and would also attract more local talent then ever before. If we can get Kramer to bring a few of these guys along, that would be great. We need Kramer to bring Suggs with him and try to convince Brandenburg and Thompson that he will feed the post, something that our current guards don't do enough. Kramer could be our best recruiter ever if he can convince a few to attend the U.

Also, we really need Angres Thorpe to hit the Chicago area and pick up some players. St. Louis players are good but the level of talent in Chicago is quite impressive. If can get another Marque Perry type player from Chicago, then the area will see what SLU basketball is like.

>

> that's seven kids from the stl who have been offered

>schollies and there are still many others who are being

>strongly looked at.

> plus the five kids from the stl on next year's roster,

>plus AK from a nearby Linn.

> I think we can put these complaints to bed about area

>recruiting for awhile. If none of these kids sign with slu,

>then it's time to pipe up again. IN the meantime, it looks

>like the staff is doing a pretty good job.

>

>bad boyz for life

SLU will not have 5 kids from stl on the roster next year. They will have 6 local kids. The only one who is from st. louis is Dwayne Polk.

We may have some local talent, but it isn't the great local talent. Sure we have Polk, Luke, etc. but what we really want is the David Lees, Kalen Grimes, and Jimmy McKinnes of the area. With the addition of Tommie and Kevin, we are starting to attract the big local players instead of looking at the lower local players.

i would rather have polk play power forward than lazy grimes.

we have much more potential coming in power forwardwise now with knollmeyer, dixon and ikeakor than what grimes has shown at mi$$ouri thus far.

I'm pretty sure that Grimes vs. Ikeakor would be a great battle for most lazy. We have seen Grimes, but Obi also has much to offer. An overweight college basketball player who took over 2 years to recover from a knee injury is obviously someone who doesn't attend workouts or rehabs like he should. Grimes atleast is strong and tough. Obi would get beat over and over again, only using his outside shot to score. You don't even know anything about Dixon so don't act like he is a great player who works hard. We'll have to wait on Adam and Dixon before we see what they are like.

>>

>> that's seven kids from the stl who have been offered

>>schollies and there are still many others who are being

>>strongly looked at.

>> plus the five kids from the stl on next year's roster,

>>plus AK from a nearby Linn.

>> I think we can put these complaints to bed about area

>>recruiting for awhile. If none of these kids sign with slu,

>>then it's time to pipe up again. IN the meantime, it looks

>>like the staff is doing a pretty good job.

>>

>>bad boyz for life

>

>

>SLU will not have 5 kids from stl on the roster next year.

>They will have 6 local kids. The only one who is from st.

>louis is Dwayne Polk.

you really don't need to seperate the City of St. Louis from the rest of the Metro region when it comes to recruiting basketball players.

School districts, yes. Basketball players, no.

I'm interested to see what Grimes does under a coach, not a recruiter. Grimes biggest attributes are his physical gifts. He runs the floor like no one his size period at the college level. People call him lazy, but he never got the ball at the high school level, but dominated AAU, because he got the ball. He wasnt ranked as a consensus top 20 player at his position for no reason. He was a bear in AAU. In the season Pilz tried to keep everyone happy. I watched Grimes all 4 years. His senior year against Normandy, one of his many games I attended, but had a vested interest in this one, he had a triple double with 27 pts, 10 rebs and 14 blks. He's played behind a grizzled vet thus far in Young who played because of his defense, because he had the worst hands I've ever seen. Grimes will start now and you'll eat your words. Should've come to SLU where he would've been a 4 year starter.

vtime said about kalen grimes:

"People call him lazy, but he never got the ball at the high school level, but dominated AAU, because he got the ball."

i probably saw grimes play 5 times with the eagles. and while i agree he played better as an eagle than at hazelwood, i wouldnt say he "dominated". i cant think of a single game i saw that hansborough and shaw didnt outplay him.

as to not getting the ball in high school. while the guards may not have passed him the ball, considering in most cases he was playing against high school centers that were 4-6 inches shorter and about 75 lbs lighter, he should have been able to score 20 pts a game on put backs alone.

now fast forward to his time in columbia and the fact he couldnt beat out young, would seem to prove that not much has changed in his overall efforts to play basketball. for the young man's own good, i hope he indeed wakes up before the last two years past him by.

you obviously missed my ian rants when ian was a freshman. the answer imo is yes, ian wasnt good enough to beat out frericks his freshman year for a lot of the same reasons imo. hell, even though ian is miles ahead of where he was as a freshmen, the nba camp is still telling ian he needs to get in better shape and work harder.

Ian was better then Tom, but Ian was soft. Tom was a tough kid and use to ***** Ian and Bryce around. If it wasn't for Sloan and Varner, there wouldn't have been anybody to stop Tom in practice from killing Bryce or Ian. Ian has always had skills but he was never tough or physical. He has started to become a man and has learned to go at people. His freshman year, he was happy to do a Euro hook and wouldn't go after people.

vouk in one sentence you declare "ian was better than tom", but then take the rest of the post to describe how frericks dominated the inside players.

"better than tom" to me would infer he was a more effective and producing player. not the player that could win some sort of skills competition.

that is exactly what has been wrong with grimes forever. all the tools but not willing to utilize them. same could be said of the freshman ian imo.

that said, there is no denying that somewhere along the line, ian began to see the light and i am excited to see if this recent nudge by the nba advisors finally inspires the complete package for the coming season.