ex-recruiting name: Lucas O'Rear

My guess is that SLU has other prospects in front of O'Rear right now. As an undersized 4 for SLU, I would guess they probably wouldn't have offered until the Spring if at all. I am glad for O'Rear, he should be a good fit at UNI. UNI has a 6'6" center/power forward type now in Coleman who will be a senior when O'Rear is a freshman. Sounds like O'Rear might be able to step into his role once Coleman graduates.

nashville, i dont think the billikens think that. i think the billikens think they have someone close to committing that apparently is better than lucas and apparently harrelson as well. it appears to me that o'rear was a backup plan as the billikens maintained contact with him they just did not offer. if they didnt think he was good enough, they wouldnt have been talking to him at all.

That is kind of the problem isn't it. BS can't really identify who can play here or who can't. I will not open up old wounds to illustate my point but the history is clear on the offers Brad did not make or was to late in making during his tenure at SLU. I think we can just add another lost recruit to the list.

Hardball, so you are saying that right now you would have made o'rear your top recruit choice for this coming recruiting class? because that is what it would have taken. apparently northern iowa wanted o'rear first and foremost and o'rear was in a now or never mode. but you will go on record as saying that the billikens should have immediately matched and offered immediately for o'rear and made him our first verbal recruit for this next class?

i like o'rear a lot. and i believe he could have been the equal of jeff harris. that said, i would not have offered him at this early of a stage either. i think we can do better. and o'rear would have been a guy that i offer only after exhausting other opportunities first.

and with the shaw deal, soderberg was indeed chasing grimes. a higher profile and physically bigger player. i never agreed with it, as i felt shaw was the better player all along, however, he indeed did wait on shaw because he was chasing the higher ranked and profiled player. i am betting it is the same scenario this time as well.

>Hardball, so you are saying that right now you would have

>made o'rear your top recruit choice for this coming

>recruiting class? because that is what it would have taken.

>apparently northern iowa wanted o'rear first and foremost

>and o'rear was in a now or never mode. but you will go on

>record as saying that the billikens should have immediately

>matched and offered immediately for o'rear and made him our

>first verbal recruit for this next class?

>

>i like o'rear a lot. and i believe he could have been the

>equal of jeff harris. that said, i would not have offered

>him at this early of a stage either. i think we can do

>better. and o'rear would have been a guy that i offer only

>after exhausting other opportunities first.

He wasn't UNI's top recruit either. They got a 6'10 3 star big man committed already in the class of 2007 before O'Rear

>more about why a guy who's not good enough for SIU isnt good

>enough for SLU.

I've never seen the kid play. Have you?

I would think the goal of trying to be at least as good, if not better than SIU is a realistic goal. Making a habit of picking up their leftovers wouldn't help achieve that goal. Besides, we have to save that spot for Leon Powell!!!

has to be your best?

You take the guys that are available when available. Its not like we've only got one scholly to give.

As many times as I've heard you complain about Romar's recruiting in going after the A level players only to miss the B level guys and settle for C level guys I can't believe you said this.

Tatum signed on to play with SLU before Hughes did.

Yeah but they played different positions.

If the staff is only taking one power forward in 2007 then it is in their best interest to get a player who is near the top of their want list not 5th or 6th. The problem with Romar is that his want list usually consisted of 4 star players in slots 1-4. By the time he got finished swinging and missing on those players, his 5th and 6th option were no longer available so he was stuck signing the likes of Ross Varner. If the staff recruits realistically (top 150-300 players), we shouldn't strike out on all of our preferred players at a position.

so kshoe, you want to go with the vtime method of extending 60 offers and then taking the first 4 that accept?

i dont. now if i had 4 to give i might offer 8 and say first come first served. and i am saying above that o'rear is likely not in our top 8-10 choices at this moment.

as one of the 8-10 commits elsewhere i add another offer until i would have all filled.

as to romar, i dont think i complained as much as i recognized that was what happened. personally i was fine with romar holding onto his top choice options to the end. eventually he was going to land one or more. but i hope we arent going to argue about lorenzo romar again. my gosh he has been gone a long time now.

Roy,

As for as making the offer early to O'Rear didn't BS make the early offer to DM. The Kool-aid drinkers defended this move to the cows came home. The difference between the two players recruitment is one had multiple D1 offer's while one recruit did not have any.

The O'Rear situation is a carbon copy of the Shaw situation. History does tend to repeat itself.If BS is recruiting a bigger,better 4 than O'Rear then he should have gone to that recruit and given him an ultimatum. This would be one way of forcing the better recruit to make a decision. If the better recruit elects not to commit you can bet SLU is not his first choice. Then the question becomes do you roll the dice and wait at the risk of loosing O'Rear. Apparantly BS will roll the dice.

The second reason for not offering is if BS doesn't think he can play here. My response to that would be if he can play for a NCAA Tournament team who was ranked in the top 20 in 2005 he can play for SLU. Not to mention that the MVC is a better league than the A10.

So either way BS has either not learned from his mistakes (Shaw)or is still having difficulty identifing talent that can play at SLU.

One way to help in this situation might have been to go to the Men's Head Baseball coach and see if he would offer a scollie based on his 90+ MPH fastball. I would think the Baseball Billikens playing in a diluted A10 would love to have a pitcher of this caliber.Then once he arrives have him play both baseball and basketball his freshman year and get a free look at him.

But like the Suggs situation this positioning would be slimy and not truthful.

V-time method of recruiting but the proof will be in the pudding. If we end up not signing a PF in the fall and are desperately searching the bottom of the barrell in the Spring then this should clearly be viewed as a mistake. It wouldn't be our first recruiting mistake and considering how often we seem to be looking for power forwards in the spring period I think I'll take the attitude that it is a mistake until proven otherwise. I hope I am wrong and we aren't arguing a few years from now if yet another MVC major contributor (Ahearn, Shaw, Glibert, etc.) would have been a good enough recruit for SLU.

I guess I don't like the attitude by some on this board that "Brad doesn't think a player isn't that good so that must be the case and we should all blindly believe this."

Two weeks ago, didn't you want O'Rear??? What made you change your mind?